De Tomaso Pantera spotted at Home Depot today

I have often regretted not buying a Pantera during the '80's, when they could be had for a pretty reasonable price. From what I have seen, they are very easy to work on and upgrade. Such a beautiful example of '70's Italian styling.

I came oh so close once but flinched at the last moment.... Love them, so pretty, but still glad I did. Even after the many improvements Ford did, they still could be uh, a might challenging to own.

Road & Track and Car & Driver mags ran full page ads for $9995 every month during early 70's.

But you have to put that into perspective, a Brand new Chevy Impala was $3750 in 73. So in todays market that would be a $30k family car vs an $80k sports car in an environment where very few had that disposable income and most families had 1 car.

Growing up in Brooklyn NY in the 70's there was a yellow one parked on the street. I would always ride my bicycle past to catch a glimpse. I LOVE anything exotic with an American V8 in it. It is just so wrong it makes the purist cringe.

My mailman had one. I saw it at the post office often. Once I asked him who owned it and he told me it was his. So naturally I had a million questions. He said he'd bring it around some day. Well he did and took me for a ride. It was crampted inside and rode rough but went like a banshee on speed. Had the 351 Cleveland engine.

Great guy.
I thought a 427 or 428 high output version would have been awesome. It's always a gamble when you use a mishmash of parts drivetrains etc. From my reading these are starting to appreciate.

My dad and I went a few times to the L-M dealer and looked at the one in the showroom. Very cool car. He always went for the new Mark ### though.

My mailman had one. I saw it at the post office often. Once I asked him who owned it and he told me it was his. So naturally I had a million questions. He said he'd bring it around some day. Well he did and took me for a ride. It was crampted inside and rode rough but went like a banshee on speed. Had the 351 Cleveland engine.

Great guy.
Pantera.jpg

I have often regretted not buying a Pantera during the '80's, when they could be had for a pretty reasonable price. From what I have seen, they are very easy to work on and upgrade. Such a beautiful example of '70's Italian styling.
You could buy lots of Italian exotica for reasonable money back in the eighties, including cars from Brands F and L with real Italian V-12s and five speed gated shifters. There were also some gorgeous Brand M V-8s.
Time has passed and they're all six figure cars today, sometimes seven figures.

I’ve subjected my sedans, wagon, and 2 minivans to Home Depot runs and all of the interiors and exteriors (rear bumper paint, and roof paint) suffered. If I ever go back to a not-a-truck, a utility trailer will likely be included in the change.

Back