De-carbonizing a Polaris exhaust pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a old Polaris Trail Boss 250. It is a Two stroke. It had alot of issues like bad crank seal and it came in about four boxs. Anyway. I got it all together and running Great, but it wont idle and it backfires if you hold it at a idle with the throttle. After several investingations, I blame a clogged up muffler. I took out the de-carbonize plug and it will idle-nicely. I beat the pipe like it owed me money while revving it and got alot of carbon. I took the pipe off and dumped about half a can of Sea Foam in it and then about two quarts of Castrol super clean and let it sit over night. I flushed it out the next day and beat it some more. I put the pipe on and I still have the same problem(not as bad though) It wont idle, but if I beat on the pipe and get the [censored] loose it will. When it sits over night, it seems to melt back together. Any ideas on how to clean it out? I dont know if any of you are familar with the Polaris two stroke exhaust pipes but they are these huge monsters, that look more like some unique music instrument than a exhaust pipe. They are big, awkward and about impossible to get inside.

Last edited:
I've found propane heat pretty effective at getting carbon out of 2 stroke exhausts (lawn equipment), particularly if you can induce a draft of air into it with the flame.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I've found propane heat pretty effective at getting carbon out of 2 stroke exhausts (lawn equipment), particularly if you can induce a draft of air into it with the flame.

I had to clean out the pipe on my old IT200 many years ago, and I used a propane torch and some kind of flammable liquid, I forget what it was now. Anyways you really just want to start the carbon burning basically like a chimmney fire. Using compressed air to fan the fire seems like a good way to speed up the process too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back