Underground Residential Steel Pipes

Yes! It starts out as 1 1/2" and then goes down to 3/4" before going into the house. The drain line or the sewage line is clay. As you can imagine, clay doesn't hold up too well with trees around, so I'll need to replace that with 4" ABS. But for the supply side, I thought it would be nice to stay with steel. I don't trust that plastic stuff. I think mainly it's the glue phase that I don't like. I'm afraid of getting dirt into the glued joint.
PVC is better for sewage lines than ABS. Take a whack at both with a hammer and see what happens.

This house had galvanized pipe on the supply side, fell apart and plugged a bunch of downstream hoses, gotta wonder what decade that hillbilly bs was made illegal

Thick black Cast iron Lasts longer than galvanized because it doesn’t rust like a puff pastry and because it’s thick.

The big Sewage pipes in this house are cast iron and likely as old as the home (1860’s)

Lead pipe is an issue here as well, that’s why in yea Olde times they said to take cooking water after an appliance used a bunch of water and then run it 5 minutes through the sink.

I no longer have a filter compatible sink (gotta fix that, drink too much bottled crap )

Oddly lead dates to before chlorine and it saved lives by keeping water sterile (hence its popularity). Sadly it also makes you nuts
Back in the 1860's there were out houses, no running water and no drains.. That cast iron sewage pipe was added much later.

Back in the 1860's there were out houses, no running water and no drains.. That cast iron sewage pipe was added much later.
Monkey Island (our water source) and municipal sewer was in this very old area very early, perhaps not instantly but likely still in the gilded age.

Some houses had pre war electricity (before WW1) so you might be surprised.

Around here you’re charged higher for a larger sized meter connection. So residences connect with something small (say, 5/8”), immediately go larger to the house, then down again. The large section is to reduce friction, which increases dynamic flow. Buried in the books is galvanized steel pipe has a higher coefficient of friction, enough so that switching from galvanized to PVC but keeping the same diameter is about the same boost to dynamic flow rate as going up a size with galvanized.
Something to consider if you replace with galvanized, or even if you don’t.

In the '80's black foam core pipe was popular for sanitary lines. It's OK inside but breaks underground due to soil shifting.
Had to replace mine from house to tank with PVC.
Not sure now but back in the day NYC used to spec. threaded brass potable water pipes.

I seriously doubt there's many galvanized domestic water pipes left in operation in the US today. I helped replace a few homes' worth of piping, from the meter to the showers/toilets/etc. in the early 90's. These were post-war (WWII) homes, with galvanized piping, like I said, from the meter to the fixture. They were 90% clogged in the 90's. Fast forward 30 years, I doubt any galvanized pipe installed from whenever is still flowing water.

I seriously doubt there's many galvanized domestic water pipes left in operation in the US today., I doubt any galvanized pipe installed from whenever is still flowing water.

My house had galvanized up until 6 months ago when the water heater went and the landlord got doused in water as the pipe deteriorated in his hands.

If I search around there are probably still some rarely used pipes that are galvanized in the basement.

More time bombs

Monkey Island (our water source) and municipal sewer was in this very old area very early, perhaps not instantly but likely still in the gilded age.

Some houses had pre war electricity (before WW1) so you might be surprised.
There were no municipal sanitary sewer systems back in 1860's, so it wouldn't make sense to have sanitary lines in a home.

Thomas Edison's company energized their distrubution lines providing power ( 110v. DC) to 59 customers in New York city back in 1882 and life was never the same afterwards.

There is a bit of confusion using the term HDPE. I have seen HDPE used generically to describe both PEX and black PE pipe. The black PE pipe has many versions and it is important to get the NSF higher pressure rated product for home service supply lines.
PEX starts life as HDPE, PEX is cross linked where HDPE is not. HDPE is a thermoplastic and will melt, PEX is thermoset and does not melt.

There were no municipal sanitary sewer systems back in 1860's, so it wouldn't make sense to have sanitary lines in a home.

Thomas Edison's company energized their distrubution lines providing power ( 110v. DC) to 59 customers in New York city back in 1882 and life was never the same afterwards.
From what I’ve read houses started getting hooked up to municipal systems 130 years ago (gilded age)

That would coincide with monkey island, whether it was sewer, water or both I have no idea, this area needed drainage very early to simply exist (big swamp) so no idea how that worked.

This is one of the oldest areas in the state coinciding with the territorial governors residence (older than my house)

Are you talking about transite pipe? It was used for mains a long time ago. They didn’t know the effects back then.
Asbestos cement pipe was used extensively years ago. Asbestos is not a hazard unless the pipe is broken or cut thereby releasing fibers into the air, where they can be inhaled. The fibers can eventually cause mesothelioma or lung cancer if inhaled. Similarly, asbestos which was used in floor tile and brake linings, for instance, where the fibers can become airborne, can be hazardous during demolition or repairs.

From what I’ve read houses started getting hooked up to municipal systems 130 years ago (gilded age)

That would coincide with monkey island, whether it was sewer, water or both I have no idea, this area needed drainage very early to simply exist (big swamp) so no idea how that worked.

This is one of the oldest areas in the state coinciding with the territorial governors residence (older than my house)
That's 1893, not 1860 as the OP stated as the age of his house. That's a big difference.

Back