Darwin Award Given to Boyfriend by Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
INDIANAPOLIS -- A woman trying to break up a fight between two dogs on Indianapolis' near-east side Monday accidentally shot her boyfriend in the face, killing him, police said.

Full Story

At least she was safe.
crazy2.gif

This past weekend in NYC a "grafitti artist" was hit by a subway train and killed after going into the tunnel to "tag" the walls.
Darwin award winner.

They say you are ten times more likely to accidently shoot a loved one than use that same gun in self defense. That's why I don't own a gun.

Originally Posted By: Burt
They say you are ten times more likely to accidently shoot a loved one than use that same gun in self defense. That's why I don't own a gun.

"They" would be the Brady Campaign To End Gun Ownership.

If that were true, over 10 million people would be shot every year in the US.

Here we go with the anti gun rhetoric..

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

I'm a gun owner,hunter, sportshooter. However, you do know that you just asserted that 1million people a year are shot by guns in the us, right?

I tend to agree with that statement on more likely to have an accidental shooting. Mostly because I think highly unqualified people are allowed to purchase handguns/firearms.

Either you guys need to take a statistics course or learn to read. No such assertion was implied by the claim. HOWEVER, I have NO idea if the claim is true or false or completely made up.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
They also say that 63% of statistics are made up right on the spot.

Statistically there is a 94.735% chance that someone will come along and refute those statistics.

They don't know me.

Statistically there is a 100% chance everyone is going to die at some point...

Constitutional gun protections are a hotly debated issue...I won't go there. But what I can say is that as soon as you start restricting gun ownership in any way, its a foot in the door and it only gets worse from there. So while I completely agree with some of the above posters regarding inept gun owners and necessary training, I don't ever think people should be forced to get weapons training before buying a gun...it will simply invite more regulation and more restrictions.

I do fully support voluntary weapons training...something akin to the Motorcycle Safety Course in CA. A voluntary class you can take before getting your MC license. Completing the class successfully gets you a few perks, like lower insurance rates, etc.
Offer a low cost weapons training course that's state sponsored, and completely optional. They can take the class before purchasing a gun, learn basic weapons responsibility, and as a reward they can get some mild perk during purchase...say a few days off the waiting period, etc.

Or just look at it this way. Selling guns to idiots is a good way to clean out the gene pool. Assuming of course they don't shoot someone else....
You could make it a law that there are no accidents with gun use. If you kill someone with a gun on accident, no matter the reason, you are getting charged with manslaughter. Might remove some of the motivation for certain types to buy weapons. Of course justified killings would still be legal...

Originally Posted By: pzev
So while I completely agree with some of the above posters regarding inept gun owners and necessary training, I don't ever think people should be forced to get weapons training before buying a gun...it will simply invite more regulation and more restrictions.

Noted and agreed. Isn't that the quandary?

Originally Posted By: Kestas

If what YOU said was true, that means one million people are shot in self-defense every year.

He said used in self defense, not fired in self defense. The FBI says that Americans use firearms (even without firing them) over 1 million times PER YEAR.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
But don't bring a gun to a dog fight.

Exactly. Use the Yaris Maneuver instead. That's how you show any dog who's boss.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

If what YOU said was true, that means one million people are shot in self-defense every year.

He said used in self defense, not fired in self defense. The FBI says that Americans use firearms (even without firing them) over 1 million times PER YEAR.

BTW, this is an example of exactly how the Brady Campaign To End Gun Ownership, and other anti-gun entities twist the statistics to make them sound worse than they are. In their "10x more likely" statistic, they will include any incident where a family member was wounded and yet did not die from the gunshot, but they only consider it a successful use of a firearm in self defense if you kill your attacker. That makes things look far, far worse, which causes an emotional (not logical) response in those who are weaker minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back