D1G3 oils

Would a GDI vehicle benefit more from D1G3 rated oil than say, a C2 rated oil?

Last edited:
C2 = Much higher soot handling requirements. Slightly higher wear and deposit standards.

D1G3 = Higher oxidation, after treatment and fuel economy standards.

Otherwise they are in a similar category.

Honestly unless you are pushing oxidation past the limits on your drain intervals I don't think you will see much difference in a gas engine.

C2 = Much higher soot handling requirements. Slightly higher wear and deposit standards.

D1G3 = Higher oxidation, after treatment and fuel economy standards.
Interesting where are you getting absolute numbers on wear, deposits and fuel economy between the two standards for comparison?

Interesting where are you getting absolute numbers on wear, deposits and fuel economy between the two standards for comparison?

Just my opinion that D1G3 has more rigorous standards in some areas and C2 in others and that D1G3 doesn't have any real soot thickening requirement. Everyone will certainly have biases as to what test they consider more rigorous as they are often different.

My opinion is that neither is a particularly high bar overall.

Last edited:
Just my opinion that D1G3 has more rigorous standards in some areas and C2 in others and that D1G3 doesn't have any real soot thickening requirement. Everyone will certainly have biases as to what test they consider more rigorous as they are often different.

My opinion is that neither is a particularly high bar overall.
Okay, I just wondered where the "slightly" statement came from.

The items listed in your link is not a comprehensive listing of all the testing parameters especially for ACEA C2. There are many more.

11 is one better than 10, right?
You are the expert in regards to this. I am all ears.

What is your opinion on this?

No particular opinion at all but I use ACEA C3 oils in all my cars now. I was pointing out that the links you gave were an incomplete listing and making a comparison based on the number of tests listed was not a valid means of comparison.

Even if it was valid it would be predicated on the results of the tests, not the number. Right?

Last edited:
No particular opinion at all but I use ACEA C3 oils in all my cars now. I was pointing out that the links you gave were an incomplete listing and making a comparison based on the number of tests listed was not a valid means of comparison.

Even if it was valid it would be predicated on the results of the tests, not the number. Right?
You do make a valid point. I should have worded more properly. I meant to say which has better tests to show it is a better oil rating?

On pennzoil website specs say that 0w-20 pennzoil platinum is gen3 dexos. Did anyone see those bottles ?

@tolian21 I just purchased Gen 3 at Walmart. Apparently all the new stock is Gen 3.

20220318_075323.jpg

Back