d.i. turbo: what conv oil if you had/wanted to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do find it odd that Hyundai wouldn't recommend synthetic for a turbo/di motor, I'm not engineer so don't have ground to dispute what they're saying. With that being said, I would use any conventional that meets the specifications recommended by the manufacturer.

As a side bar- It could be that manufacturers know most "conventional" oils today do in fact have some Group III and above base oil in the formulation. Due to this it is likely that the conventional oils perform much better than what they're tested for (in the eyes of the manufacturers), this, added with the cheaper cost-to-own conventional will provide that's been pushed my the rags and accountants could be the reason they do not recommend/require syn. At the end of the day, an auto manufacturer would not purposefully recommend a maintenance plan that would not provide adequate protection.

At one time I didn't think the world oF PYB, and I don't have an application to use it in.

Nevertheless, look at that PQIA test on PYB! Not just the NOACK, but the TBN and all the additives in there. It's a great looking oil on paper, and I'm sure it runs great too. Besdies QSGB, the rest just look how you would expect.

If I had to, I'd use the PYB or QSGB in that application. For the others who look more like true conventional, I simply wouldn't do it in a turbo unless I was going very short OCI.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
... Many people on Hyundai forums would post about the differences they felt switching from conventional over to synthetic for their turbos and using a slightly higher weight oil, such as 5w30.

I'm a member on Hyundaiforums.com. In the Santa Fe Sport subsection, the turbo owners are split right down the middle.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
While I do find it odd that Hyundai wouldn't recommend synthetic for a turbo/di motor, I'm not engineer so don't have ground to dispute what they're saying. With that being said, I would use any conventional that meets the specifications recommended by the manufacturer.

Their OCI is quite short, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

South Florida: I'd run 10w-30. I'll get lambasted for saying it, but oh well.

I ran GTX 5w-30 for the first 40k I had my LGT (turbo, not DI) with out any issues. I'd keep an eye out for clearance PP or PU in the coming months. If you see PU 5/10w-30 for cheap, I'd buy as much as you can get your hands on...

I'm back to ST. .....after much heming and hawing, with a conservative 4k mile oci after the current AAP Syn oci is up.

...but if i go conventional, GTX, QSGB and MS5K are my choices.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about which one I used, I would just keep the OCI very short, 3-4k.

And, old-fashioned as it is, in the summer I would run 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
And, old-fashioned as it is, in the summer I would run 10W-30.

Me too!

with the issues many DI engines are having, turbo's being the worse i would use amsoil signature series 10-30. early valve cleaning from lo-quality dirty dino oils could cost lots more than amsoil. although not DI i put almost 200,000 on my modified to almost 300 ft lb of torque 1.8T jetta with 20 lb of vacuum on the gauge at trade

Last edited:
Hyundai engineers are perfectly fine with dino' at betwn 3-5k mi. At 3k, so am I.

I would never want to run a conventional oil in a DI turbo. If I had to, I would run Rotella T5 10w30. Oops, but that's a synblend.

See, I just can't do it.

DI turbo and conventional oil, I'd pass and use a good synthetic that meets the mfg approvals.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I would never want to run a conventional oil in a DI turbo. If I had to, I would run Rotella T5 10w30. Oops, but that's a synblend.

See, I just can't do it.

haaaa! Well, since it does meet spec.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Hyundai engineers are perfectly fine with dino' at betwn 3-5k mi. At 3k, so am I.

That is where I am at also. Hyundai beat the snot out of the engine during testing. Is QSGB what Hyundai recommends?

Originally Posted By: dave1251

That is where I am at also. Hyundai beat the snot out of the engine during testing. Is QSGB what Hyundai recommends?

yup, it's what's in the owners manual. Not necessarily QSGB but Q State.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...it would actually be Formula Shell or Mobil Super 1000.

Found a Shell station that sells it for $2.50/qt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

yup, it's what's in the owners manual. Not necessarily QSGB but Q State.

I have a 2014 forte and optima, both manuals recommend Total brand oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back