Cybertruck can't keep up offroad with Subaru crosstrek or Toyota 4Runner

The only reason I mentioned cancellations was that on TFL Truck recently the owner Roman Mica and another co-journalist for tfl truck mentioned that they both have deposits for a Cybertruck. According to one of them they were curious how far back in line they were. He was able to get a friend at Tesla to look and he was 49,999 in line. This was mid December 2023. He was told that it wasn't likely he'd get a delivery date in 2024 most likely early 2025. About a week ago he was notified by Tesla that his order has now come available. Tesla hasn't delivered yet alone built that many cybertrucks. Where are all of the Tesla semis that were supposed to be built in mass and delivered?
I got nothing. Hopefully they’re going straight down the line and maybe that means that many have cancelled. VW did it out of order with the ID.4 the best we could tell because there were people ordering after us already receiving vehicles. I’m sure they have some method that makes sense to them.

I didn’t even know where the semis were being built or how many of those have been ordered.

I got nothing. Hopefully they’re going straight down the line and maybe that means that many have cancelled. VW did it out of order with the ID.4 the best we could tell because there were people ordering after us already receiving vehicles. I’m sure they have some method that makes sense to them.

I didn’t even know where the semis were being built or how many of those have been ordered.
Supposedly again according to Tesla "Alot" have been ordered. Pepsi says they ordered 19 and have at least three or four delivered to them. My gripe is that Peosi Co was able to get the state of California to pay for 18 of the 19 that they ordered! The semi needs a proprietary charger so it's making sales slow. I've already seen a couple of Electric Volvo semis. Supposedly the Semi is being built in Texas but the factory in Texas is maxed out in room for additional assembly lines.

It will get fixed up to reasonable with software. Guessing they wanted to get out the door and off road capability is in early iteration . How software development works which Tesla is.

Slightly off topic, but do these offroad themed subies have technical modifications to the drive gear due to the weird angles that lift has bestowed upon the powertrain?

Slightly off topic, but do these offroad themed subies have technical modifications to the drive gear due to the weird angles that lift has bestowed upon the powertrain?
The aftermarket has that covered. The wilderness edition of the crosstrek comes from the factory with oil/transmission coolers and 1-1.5 inches additional lift over the base crosstrek. It also gets Yokohama geolander tires vs Falken Ziex.

It will get fixed up to reasonable with software. Guessing they wanted to get out the door and off road capability is in early iteration . How software development works which Tesla is.

This is one area where Rivian is ahead of Tesla - their off-road software is pretty good as is their towing information made available.

Tesla should be embarrassed they couldn't at least get a diff lock mode working out go the gate, but they will get there - but will ever be as good as what Vivian has? That'll take real work.

I dont like the fact as a user they limit the code in eth truck the the hardware is there Though - you have to buy the high end truck to get the best off-road algorithms.

The OP of this thread has the story all screwed up. In the link above the guy is in Hidden Falls Adventure Park in Texas not Wisconsin. All 3 drivers new to offroading. The suspension doesn't flex and there's no traction control. My GMC 3500 would do the same thing. Any stock 1500 truck would do the same thing on the ledge he tried to get up diagonally without traction control or a locker.

Last edited:
You don't need (or want) to lock front and rear together if you drive them independantly.
You would in a technical or precarious off road section where controlling traction was needed. Anything that spins can’t help ans much and spits out grip surface. the same principle, just opposite of ABS minimizing slippage to maximize traction. Granted, most folks dont put themselves in this situation often, and certainly not with a $50k vehicle, but if it were used that way, it would be important.

You would in a technical or precarious off road section where controlling traction was needed. Anything that spins can’t help ans much and spits out grip surface. the same principle, just opposite of ABS minimizing slippage to maximize traction. Granted, most folks dont put themselves in this situation often, and certainly not with a $50k vehicle, but if it were used that way, it would be important.

But you can control both axles independantly, both have traction control. There's no reason one is spinning besides bad implementation. This can't be done with 1 engine driving 2 axles so then you need a locker.

With 2 motors, all you need is differential lockers, and with 2 motors on one axle you wouldn't need a locker there either.

But you can control both axles independantly, both have traction control. There's no reason one is spinning besides bad implementation. This can't be done with 1 engine driving 2 axles so then you need a locker.

With 2 motors, all you need is differential lockers, and with 2 motors on one axle you wouldn't need a locker there either.
I mean, in theory it sounds good - on paper what you say makes sense. My personal off road experience, while not extreme, has found electronic traction controls and electronic torque distribution to be nothing short of laughable in anything more than snow. On rocky, rutted train with cattywampus camber, locked axles handle torque and control that the computer hasn’t been able to duplicate. that said, I’ve not driven a dual motor electric, so I’m making equal assumptions in the other direction…

Back