Cybertruck can't keep up offroad with Subaru crosstrek or Toyota 4Runner

This was my first thought when I opened the thread. I also thought of the Hummer EV which likely has much more trick stuff than the Cybertruck, but there's no getting around the fact that the Hummer weighs 9,200lbs. There's no way well designed lighter 4x4s don't run circles around these porkers.
But as I posted above, there is no way those feather weight trucks can tow what the CyberTruck or Hummer can tow. If they tried, their drivetrain might be laying on the ground or their pistons blowing up trying to go up steep grades. So these are two different classes of trucks that are being compared in the OP.

Every vehicle has specific things that they do better and why choice is great. A better comparison would be to test vehicles of "like" capabilities.

He lowered to 30 PSI after hitting the trail is how I read it. Hitting the trail with 50 PSI seems, well, naive.

The problem I have with this whole story is that we don’t know the details, and we’re getting it thirdhand. Read the original account, or see the original video, or whatever, that this story came from.
I bet you could look up the trail and difficulty rating on a map.

I mean I guess someone with no idea what they are doing, could get almost anything stuck on an easy trail. This article is sort of like 3 random people with trying dirt bikes and then trying to say which bike is good or bad based on how it performed on the trail. The skill of the rider is a big part of how its going to perform...

Really?

Pure attack on Musk and Tesla.

"

Some clown not familiar with the vehicle or off roading........ugg

Where is this article anyway?

I am not some Tesla or electric vehicle lover. That truck IS ugly and is pretty stupid, but if you buy into this kind of comparison you really are no better than e-car jerks.

Keep it real.
Autoevolution
From pictures online I've seen driveways in Estes Park steeper with greater difficulty than the trail they were on. My friend and I took his 2000 Ford Ranger into much more difficult terrain than this. Bone stock no lift kit standard tires and 4wd low. This supposedly gift from elon can't handle it? Apparently if Tesla or Musk is going to make it sound like the most hardcore truck on the planet maybe they should have taken it offroading and tested it before the light and dazzle show upon release.

I mean I guess someone with no idea what they are doing, could get almost anything stuck on an easy trail. This article is sort of like 3 random people with trying dirt bikes and then trying to say which bike is good or bad based on how it performed on the trail. The skill of the rider is a big part of how its going to perform...
Unless the guy driving the Cybertruck was that incompetent I have a real difficult time taking it seriously as a vehicle. The Crosstrek wilderness comes with Yokohama Geolander A/T Tires as oem from the pictures on Motortrend. Not a super aggressive tire by any means. The only additional changes upgrades from my understanding are a transmission cooler and oil cooler over the standard crosstrek.

Unless the guy driving the Cybertruck was that incompetent I have a real difficult time taking it seriously as a vehicle. The Crosstrek wilderness comes with Yokohama Geolander A/T Tires as oem from the pictures on Motortrend. Not a super aggressive tire by any means. The only additional changes upgrades from my understanding are a transmission cooler and oil cooler over the standard crosstrek.
I've only done some offroading by myself and the kids with my old Tracker and CRV, as the Outback is really too big for around here.
I found the Tracker could go down many trails that would have it sitting on its axles with all four tires spinning air in the deep ruts, if you followed the big tire/clearance lines, but with the narrower track it was relatively easy to just straddle one of the ruts and carry on. Also the odd time for a big mud hole, the tracker would fit through trees on the side of the trail. Anyways it got by mud and rut features that would stop any factory pickup, just by "cheating". So is it a better off roader than a Raptor?, I guess on these deep rutted trails in the woods, I guess it was? Not in the open desert though :LOL:
I went up some winding washout gully hill trails that I could only see ATV tracks in ever, so in tight terrain, IMO a small vehicle size can be more effective than a lot of bigger more capable trucks.
The CRV was a bit worse mostly because of its extra width and wheel base even though I has some AT tires on it, as it more often had to follow the big truck lines which seem to be made by guys spinning big tall mud tires as deep as they could.....

Not surprised, the things that make an offroad truck good offroad are almost completely opposite of what makes a Model 3 efficent on the road. That and the software issues, however much time spent in development, Tesla doesn't exactly have an offroading background. I'm sure they can program the thing to do pretty much anything, especially the 3 motor version, if they allocate enough development time to it. But whether adding the code to make the Cybertruck an offroad capable vehicle is a cost-effective endeavor or not for Telsa, is really up to them. I'm guessing the development costs would never pay for themselves, at least in the lifetime of the current Cybertruck.

I'm from the area where that park is and I can't imagine there's any real off roading there. Been to that park before and didn't see anything unpaved that wasn't a hiking trail. Would love it if there was actual off roading there.

Curious how many 2 1/2 ton Trucks/SUV are capable of off-roading? At least it didn't break. SW error is nothing new with todays vehicles.
GM now makes a ZR2 type in three load categories - but I have no expectations that the larger units can follow the Colorado ZR2 or my Rubicon for that matter - heavy, yes - but the dimensions and geometry just don’t work …

Where I used to ‘wheel, water could be an issue too. There was a particular crossing I used to take in a pathfinder which generally ensured the diffs and TC received frequent fluid changes. Occassionally, with water or mud, water gets up in things pretty good - it can be hard to stop. In a gasser, we simply relocate breathers to higher points in the body. I can’t imagine getting some salt-infused dirt water through a seal or seam into the battery pack or a HV connector.

Sometimes it just takes experience… A jeep and a Caravan were both from the same brand and had common parts. Yet wiring routing, cable dressing, neatness was brilliant in wrangler models while the caravan looked like the designer gave up and just ran it wherever convenient. Small details like that may not matter on road, but it all matters when under harder conditions. Perhaps if the cyber truck develops an off-road following, those sorts of things will happen - though totally agree, wheels need to match rotations either mechanically or electrically to have any ability to negotiate traction.

Agree with all of the above - credibility of the article’s drivers, judgement and experience all comes into play in evaluating this one. The CT is a large, heavy vehicle to attempt any off-road work in.

From the article if you read it the cybertruck can't lock its front and rear together. I'm assuming you haven't driven a bone stock Range Rover which doesn't have off road tires from the factory and is very capable.

You don't need (or want) to lock front and rear together if you drive them independantly.

Thanks. That isn't Wisconsin.

"Park Road 3 route to reach the top of Wildcat Mountain in Wisconsin"

Not as terrible as the description. Just seems like an attack rather than facts. Makes it seem like the thing died on the trail or something.

I agree it's stupid the mode reverts when butt leaves seat.
To me looks like really just not enough ground clearance. It's just urban assault vehicle really.
And the hill he couldn't make, looked doable with proper grip - tires, driver, driveline.

I don't even follow this stuff that closely. Is this some kind of Beta roll-out or ? These are not in full production are they?

I would never own one, just a silly vehicle IMHO.

Thanks. That isn't Wisconsin.

"Park Road 3 route to reach the top of Wildcat Mountain in Wisconsin"

Not as terrible as the description. Just seems like an attack rather than facts. Makes it seem like the thing died on the trail or something.

I agree it's stupid the mode reverts when butt leaves seat.
To me looks like really just not enough ground clearance. It's just urban assault vehicle really.
And the hill he couldn't make, looked doable with proper grip - tires, driver, driveline.

I don't even follow this stuff that closely. Is this some kind of Beta roll-out or ? These are not in full production are they?

I would never own one, just a silly vehicle IMHO.
The Cybertruck in the article was the real deal. According to Tesla engineers they've delivered 500 so far. Not sure if it's true as I don't believe most of what comes out of Elmos mouth as he just makes it up as he goes along. Tesla doesn't wantt to say how many have been delivered as I think they're having significant cancellations on cybertruck deposits.

The Cybertruck in the article was the real deal. According to Tesla engineers they've delivered 500 so far. Not sure if it's true as I don't believe most of what comes out of Elmos mouth as he just makes it up as he goes along. Tesla doesn't wantt to say how many have been delivered as I think they're having significant cancellations on cybertruck deposits.
I don’t know about cancellations but I’m sure it’s the case with the cost increase. There’s a lot of ticket holders though. I think they’re having trouble getting them out the door and I wouldn’t be surprised if that 500 is more like 50 so far.

I don’t know about cancellations but I’m sure it’s the case with the cost increase. There’s a lot of ticket holders though. I think they’re having trouble getting them out the door and I wouldn’t be surprised if that 500 is more like 50 so far.
The only reason I mentioned cancellations was that on TFL Truck recently the owner Roman Mica and another co-journalist for tfl truck mentioned that they both have deposits for a Cybertruck. According to one of them they were curious how far back in line they were. He was able to get a friend at Tesla to look and he was 49,999 in line. This was mid December 2023. He was told that it wasn't likely he'd get a delivery date in 2024 most likely early 2025. About a week ago he was notified by Tesla that his order has now come available. Tesla hasn't delivered yet alone built that many cybertrucks. Where are all of the Tesla semis that were supposed to be built in mass and delivered?

Back