Cutting Cast Iron Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my mind , cast iron sewer pipe is a world different than black gas pipe .

Take a hammer to it . Cast iron breaks . Black steel pipe bends .

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Since it’s from the 50’s and 60’s, it could be cast iron or what was called black iron then.

Black Iron pipe is not the same as cast iron.

I knew that. We still have the black iron pipe for the gas line in our family home and we also have the cast iron standpipes with lead impregnated oakum used to seal the joints. House was built in 1920.

I’m just hoping this pipe is not badly corroded considering the time it has been in the ground.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
Not to be a doomer, BUUUT, is there any chance of residual gas fumes inside the pipe? A spark from a cutting wheel might give you quite a fireworks display :) If using an angle grinder and metal cutoff wheel, I would wear safety glasses and soft goggles over top.

Possible but unlikely. There were derricks running in the 70s here that fed into tanks where drip gas accumulated.

The derricks were run by single piston locomotive style engines.

in the 80s they tore down all the derricks and removed them leaving all the network of pipes behind..so most likely all the vapors are gone..but i could find a small pocket of drip gas but doubtful.

Like i said earlier they made access bridges from this same pipe and it is welded in some areas..so perhaps its steel not iron.

Men were men in those days and i cant imagine the work involved in doing all that was involved to make it all work.

I tossed my generator on my trailer and went to where I had several old gas pipes as well. Of course this was after having the gas company double checked to make sure they were off... I then used a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut off wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back