[CUT OPEN] Motorcraft FL-820S - 6000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell us what more you expect from a filter if just doing its job is not good enough for you?

That looks terrible. It didn't spontaneously combust, but it looks very bad. Given the appearance, who knows if one more week of cold starts and condensation would have caused it to rip. That Purolator media looks soggy and mechanically compromised, just like a similarly run OCOD.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
That looks terrible. It didn't spontaneously combust, but it looks very bad. Given the appearance, who knows if one more week of cold starts and condensation would have caused it to rip. That Purolator media looks soggy and mechanically compromised, just like a similarly run OCOD.

The filter was soaked in oil for two years.

If you want a picture perfect oil filter leave it in the box and just take it out to view on special occasions. Hot oil, fuel and water do things to filter media. How many filters look worse and are never seen?

tig, that filter element is not deformed because of the oil

Correct.

The filter is "deformed" (not having arrow straight pleat edges) because of the force of the spring sealing the element assembly to the seals pushed with greater magnitude than the available resistance force of the media. Simply put, waves formed because the spring in the filter ever-so-slightly compressed the media and it yielded.

Now - someone please show me that this matters; that there is a negative effect that cause the filter to not "filter" out particulate.

And again, does it not occur to anyone that every single pleat fold is a meticulous, aggressive controlled "wave". If you're worried about the slight vertical wave along the axis, why are you not freaking out about the abrupt 180 degree turn that happens twice in every cycle of pleat??????????????? If your fear is that a slight wave compromises the media, how can you sleep soundly at night looking at pleat folds? Does it not stand to reason that if the media can survive the 180 degree tight fold, that a slight wave in the media is nothing of concern. In fact, it's only proof that the spring is fully seating the media assembly against the seal.
21.gif

21.gif

21.gif

Last edited:
I used to leave my fl 820s on the expedition for years thru several oil changes. Changing oil is so easy. Fl820s is one tough paper.

And just like a home furnace filter you dont want something too restrictive. Once i put in a pricy synthetic filter on the rx7 with oil pressure guage and it showed lower oil pressure. I quickly replaced it with the walmart purolator filter and oil pressure back to normal. I am no expert though on oil filter or furnace filter !

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
I wud like to cut open one that i pulled off my expedition recently.
How difficult is this job. I have a manual hack saw
smile.gif

A hack saw will work just fine, but will make the outer shell look pretty jagged.
I cut open a Purolator a few days ago with a good pair of tin snips. Start from the base plate and cut through the seam at about 45 degrees. Then just easily cut around the perimeter for a very neat cut and the whole filter just comes apart in the individual pieces. Now I have yet to try this on a heavy industrial filter, but the filter I took off my Jeep cut easily, took about 10 seconds and made a very neat cut. Again, I'll stress to use a GOOD pair of tin snips.

Thanks i just cut open my first oil filter !
Took about 20 minutes
I will be quicker next time with long nose tin cutters. Had short ones this time.

Will post pics of another fl820s in a few minutes or an hour.

Do new filters that are cut open look like that?

thats a donut magnet from the original transmission pan. I ran it thru the filter slots and it picked up nothing so i am pretty happy with the way filter looks.

That paper element is really stiff by the way.
I might leave them on the truck a while longer than usual and just drain and fill to satisfy my need to change oil. Also that filter has seen qsud and pp both.
It might even have seen m1 blends i was doing before but i dont remember.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct.

The filter is "deformed" (not having arrow straight pleat edges) because of the force of the spring sealing the element assembly to the seals pushed with greater magnitude than the available resistance force of the media. Simply put, waves formed because the spring in the filter ever-so-slightly compressed the media and it yielded.

I submit the loading provided by the spring is applied to the end caps and then to the core. The media is not stable with the environmental conditions. The likely culprit is condensation weakening the cellulose in the media.

dnewton3 that's something I was thinking earlier, and even wrote a post about it before I caught myself. What I wrote and discarded was something as follows:
The media has softened from moisture and collapsed under the pressure of the leaf spring. I'm worried more about bypassing oil between the end-cap, ADBV and base plate, especially since that leaf spring has such a short travel
but caught myself because I momentarily forgot that the center tube is bearing and transferring the force from across the element.

I'm not worried about the 'folds' in the medium, as they are formed when the (cellulose) media is dry, akin to folding a dry piece of paper. The mechanical properties of the all-cellulose media is not degraded by oil or flow, but by exposure to moisture, which is why I said earlier that the oil is not to blame for deformation. If that media gets wet, then the folds are the first place to tear from flow alone (technically when delta-P exceeds the mechanical strength) as we've seen across the years.

Folding cellulose media into pleats is clearly not the problem (or virtually all oil filters would be problematic). Example, take a straight, never-folded piece of dry white office paper and drop a bit of oil on it, the paper remains relatively resistance to tearing, but drop some water on it and it will disintegrate very easily. This is why those cheap mediums always deform, they don't like short trips, cold weather service and condensation. I've seen filter deformation like this without even being installed, just stored in high humidity- one was a MANN filter. I wouldn't second guess the MANN filter's performance because of how much media area they include and the quality of such. There's nothing inherently wrong with cellulose filter media, but celly is the least tolerant to cheapness of quality (the paper), cheapness of quantity (area) and cheapness of manufacture (like careless pleat spacing, esp. when combined with the prior concerns.)

Purolators and the [Insert current stake-holder here] FRAMs along with their OEM-branded spin offs, are infamous for their commitment to that trifecta of cheapness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back