Current Pennz Long Life 15w40 and 10w30 - No Moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a few searches and read up on Pennzoil Long Life 15w40, and there seem to be some suggestions that the present SL formulation has no Moly, while the previous SJ did. Can anyone comment definitively on the additive package differences between the two formulations?

(FWIW, I'm in Canada and am looking for a quality non-synth oil, 10w30 or 15w40, pref with Moly to run in a roller-cam Dodge 318 engine)

[ May 28, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Daniel J. Stern ]

I cannot say that Pennz stopped using Mo with the release of SL. But I can say they did stop using Mo some time early last year or late 2003.

If it's Mo you are after, and you want it in a 15W-40 HDEO, I do believe Chevron Delo now has Mo.

There are some excellent HDEO's without Mo, btw.

Thanks, Pablo. I've been running Mobil-1 more or less out of habit, and just don't think it's worth the $$ given the type of service this truck gets (lots of short trips, therefore frequent oil changes -- TBInjected 318 with 100k miles, no oil burning or leaking). It's really tough to decide what to pick, since there are so many choices and two extremes of information: Insufficient (at the store and from the manufacturers) and overwhelming (here)!

Care to make a recommendation?

The new Pennzoil may be using a formulation by Shell in the new 15W40 HDEO. Shell does not use moly in the formulations I looked at. However Pennzoil PCO with the new SM formulation has moly.

smile.gif

Good question. I don't think I can get Chevron products here, but I'll go out and look. I don't know what Pennzoil "PCO" is. [EDIT: Passenger Car Oil? The regular stuff in the yellow bottle? Moly in all grades?]

We have heavy market presence of the PetroCanada products (gee...). Not much chatter about them on here, as it seems. Their info PDFs are Here, but I don't know enough about the pertinent characteristics to be able to pick one out or reject them all.

[ May 29, 2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Daniel J. Stern ]

Daniel,

The only ones we have the VOA on are Pennzoil 5W20 and 5W30, both have moly. Sorry, I should have been specific on that before.

The PC oils are top oils and should be available to you. We don't talk about them much because the availability is very limited in the US. Mostly the border States with Canada have them.

All Pennzoil PCMO in the yellow bottles have moly in them, including 10W30, 10W40, and 20W50.

Being in Canada and looking for a good regular oil, you would be hard pressed to beat Petro Canada products. They are very good.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
All Pennzoil PCMO in the yellow bottles have moly in them, including 10W30, 10W40, and 20W50.

Being in Canada and looking for a good regular oil, you would be hard pressed to beat Petro Canada products. They are very good.

Good info, thanks. That helps me quite a bit (though I can find no VOA or UOA for any PetroCan oil on this site, so how do we know they're top stuff?) Any idea if the PetroCan oils are formulated with moly?

[ May 29, 2005, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Daniel J. Stern ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back