Cummins 6BTA insides after 126,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine was in a Dodge shop truck. Another truck ran into it and totaled it. Insdeat of trying to fix it I decided to use the engine for a re-power project.
[img=http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/63/63/8/4/61/2752804610096396344HbjQrr_th.jpg]

The gear housing had a crack around one of the front cover mounting bolts from the wreck that I need to fix. While I had the tig warmed up, I filled in the bore for the killer dowl pin.

[img=http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/61/61/0/90/42/2905090420096396344nKomab_th.jpg]
This doesn't show much other than how clean everything is after 126K miles. Even the top end is this clean, the rockers are just as spotless as the crank is. I'll get a pic of the rockers when I do the tune up.

[img=http://thumb4.webshots.net/t/12/13/3/38/71/2586338710096396344InkDtY_th.jpg]

The cam looks exceptionally well considering it is a flat follower cam, as is the 6CTA Cummins. This pic shows what appears to be some fretting on one of the lobs, I when back and inspected that lobe and it looks fine. Must be the flash and oil film not getting along?

1040 do you know what kind of oil was being used in that engine? Looks practiaclly new.

Man that is clean!
I hope the oil used was Mobil 1 Delvac, so we can get the Grp III - IV -V Debate, started overhere on this side.
smile.gif
feedtroll.gif
pat2.gif

First question: What are you going to re-power?

Second question: Exactly how much re-power are you shooting for?
smile.gif

No, I do not know what oil was used other than it was 15w40 diesel oil. I'm sure it was the cheapest bulk oil as the owner of the truck owned a quick lube place. He told me the oil was changed every 2 months regardless of mileage. I thought he was just giving me a line to get me hooked. After I got inside I started believing what he was telling me.

md lucky, to answer your first question, I'm re powering a mid 70's body style Ford 4x4. I'm not sure how much power I will end up with. Probably around 325-350hp since the Bosch VE rotary fuel pump will not support much more than that and retain any kind of longevity. I might convert it to a P-7100 pump, then the sky is the limit. However, at this point I think I'm going to run the engine in the pics with the current fuel system. I should be able to get 275-300 very easily, then I'll decide what I want to do once I get a feel for how the truck works with the new hardware.

1040 WreckerMan,
"The oil was changed every 2 months-regardless of miles". That really shows it!
How much $$ do you think that you will have in the Ford?
I think this is as close to a free diesel pickup truck, without winning it or someone giving you one.
banana.gif

Good Luck with the project and show us the truck when you are finished.
driving.gif

How much money in the re-power or the whole truck? The repower will be around 5 grand I expect with the drive-train modifications I want to make.

I have a lot of plans for the rest of the truck, that will be the expensive part.
hornets_nest.gif

Wow.. Thats actually pretty low miles for such an old engine.. What year was the truck? 92? 93? (they went p-pump in 94).

I would do the switch to p-pump myself.. Especially while it is all out and easy to do. You obviously know these engines if you killed the KDP..

I have heard of a few people making 400+ on the rotary pump, but that is pushing it hard. Watched one guy spin 360+ with water/meth this year on a first gen.. That was pretty cool. Especially since the guy was probably 80 years old and just wanted a little more "go to pull his tiny camper"

The engine production date was mid 93. I have two other B-Models without homes sitting the shop, both P-7100 pumped engines. The problem is they both came out of low millage, very high hour trucks. I haven't pulled either one apart to look at them, but I'm sure the cams are nearing the end of their life, one I think is already flat. The other problem is, the pumps themselves. If I were to use either of those pumps I want to go through them. I don't have equipment to calibrate the flow inhouse, however if I do them in house anyway I'll be looking at 800 in parts. For this application I'd send them to the shop that does all of my pump work and I'd be in the pumps about 2500 after have all the trick stuff done.

For the price and performance I'm looking for the VE will be just fine. I've run VE pumped B models (not the ones Dodge used) reliable at 325HP with no drugs. The last truck was a dump truck and has about 290K miles on it
banana.gif

I would agree that a 7100 is much better, but this truck will be over powered with a 300hp Cummins, so if I get 300+ I'll be more than happy. This isn't going to be a dyno queen or a drag monster, just a nice driving truck - soon to be on a diet of Delo at 4K
hide.gif
!!

More Pics! I have to really try hard not to dig into this engine and P-pump, port, etc. But this thing is SOOOO clean I can't bear to tear it down. I just ran the overheads and I am getting ready to set it in.

I am thinking of pulling the 12mm VE pump off and switching it for an industrial 14mm VE, but I'm not sure if I really need that. Sooo hard to resist making more smoke!

and

I always wanted to build a rock crawler with either a cummins or a powerstroke. I figured the easist way would be to find a frame from a 1 ton and narrow it and the axles and shorten it. I would love it if DC would cut that engine in half and stuff whats left into a Jeep!!!

I had a friend with a CJ-5 that had a 4BT Cummins in it, which is a 6BT with two cylinders missing.

The only challenge would be getting a good center of gravity since the diesels are fairly heavy. A PowerStroke might be better since it's a bit shorter and wider since it's a V8.

Hmmm, that sounds like a neat idea and I like doing stuff everyone else doesn't. I'm going to get into trouble if I keep talking to you
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back