CREDIT CARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the card doesn't have a annual fee. I don't see why you would close the account.
Always nice to have money on tap whether you feel you will ever need it or not. Unless I had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, I like having available credit on tap. That constant phobia bred by Lifelock like companies is bogus and just to scare old people. Credit cards are very safe and you are not paying for fraudrant purchases and if you read your homeowners insurance you will find they actually provide the same protection on most as these indentity fruad companies do.

Last edited:
I will have my new Citi 1+1 card and my LL Bean Visa card along with a Walmart and Penny's card for those purchases. At 79YO and a CS of 812, I'm not concerned about borrowing on any card. I just pay the full charge every month so I never pay interest. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I will have my new Citi 1+1 card and my LL Bean Visa card along with a Walmart and Penny's card for those purchases. At 79YO and a CS of 812, I'm not concerned about borrowing on any card. I just pay the full charge every month so I never pay interest. Ed

Oh, you're 79. I'd start simplifying then.

Originally Posted By: Al
At the age of 71 Idon't give a rats behind what my score is

Yes you do-- Insurance companies now use your FICO score in their actuarial calcs to figure how much of a risk you are. And so your premiums are higher when your FICO score is lower.

Please don't speculate on my credit, I can assure you that everything I posted above is accurate, however I won't be posting the documents to prove it, I hope you understand. I started my 401k at 17 and was trading funds with a personal banker at Wells Fargo between classes at 18 years old. I'm not wealthy but I have an extensive history of doing the right thing with money. I have never inquired about my 3 individual credit ratings but every bank I've worked with says "we've never seen a better rating". For the record I think the FICO rating is lame also...

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My FICO has been a perfect 850 twice this year. I close cards I don't use and pay the others in full every month. I have a mortgage and 2 cards in my name and that's it. My wife has a car loan and about 6 cards in her name and her score is about 845. I'd close anything you don't use. All my cards are new accounts only a few years old. My wife has the 20yr card, I don't think it makes a difference. My parents have every kind of debt you can imagine, it turns my stomach, there FICO's are both about 840. I think the only thing that matters is paying the bill on time.

Technically it's impossible to have a perfect 850 when your credit score is typically the mid score. Credit scoring models by all 3 credit bureaus vary, top scores for all three range from 839, 844 to 850. So if you really had a perfect score, it'd be 844. My guess is that you have a Vantage score which goes up to 950. Or they're using a slightly different scoring models. The ones I use are Fico Risk score Classic (04), Fair Isaac V2, and Fico Classic V8. For mortgage purposes, anything above a 740 is fine. Actually quite rare for many people to have scores over 800. That's why I think you have a so called "fako" score. Unless you got the score from a mortgage broker. Car dealers also use a slightly different scoring model that also has a higher range.

Obviously I posted without the quote above, sorry wont let me take it back!

Please don't speculate on my credit, I can assure you that everything I posted above is accurate, however I won't be posting the documents to prove it, I hope you understand. I started my 401k at 17 and was trading funds with a personal banker at Wells Fargo between classes at 18 years old. I'm not wealthy but I have an extensive history of doing the right thing with money. I have never inquired about my 3 individual credit ratings but every bank I've worked with says "we've never seen a better rating". For the record I think the FICO rating is lame also...

Originally Posted By: Al
At the age of 71 Idon't give a rats behind what my score is

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
My FICO has been a perfect 850 twice this year. I close cards I don't use and pay the others in full every month. I have a mortgage and 2 cards in my name and that's it. My wife has a car loan and about 6 cards in her name and her score is about 845. I'd close anything you don't use. All my cards are new accounts only a few years old. My wife has the 20yr card, I don't think it makes a difference. My parents have every kind of debt you can imagine, it turns my stomach, there FICO's are both about 840. I think the only thing that matters is paying the bill on time.

Technically it's impossible to have a perfect 850 when your credit score is typically the mid score. Credit scoring models by all 3 credit bureaus vary, top scores for all three range from 839, 844 to 850. So if you really had a perfect score, it'd be 844. My guess is that you have a Vantage score which goes up to 950. Or they're using a slightly different scoring models. The ones I use are Fico Risk score Classic (04), Fair Isaac V2, and Fico Classic V8. For mortgage purposes, anything above a 740 is fine. Actually quite rare for many people to have scores over 800. That's why I think you have a so called "fako" score. Unless you got the score from a mortgage broker. Car dealers also use a slightly different scoring model that also has a higher range.

Obviously I posted without the quote above, sorry wont let me take it back!

I run credit checks all the time, we use the one for mortgages. Where are you getting your score from and what model are they using? Like I said, I'm not asking for your score, I'm just asking what model it was as it probably wasn't one of the 3 mentioned. Saying you have an 850 is like saying you have the best car. Only Equifax goes up to 850. I've seen scores where one is higher than the two because not everyone reports to all 3, they only report to one or two bureaus. Which is why they take the mid score. And if you do the mid score, it's impossible to have an 850 when the highest mid score is an 844. In the past when those fako scores were more prevalent, I saw people who claimed they had an 850 turn out to be a Vantage score and their real score was more like a 730. They've gotten a little better lately, but they can still be off. Don't believe any number unless you're reading the actual report that tells you what scoring model was used.

The mortgage broker was very impressed told my wife: "You don't see credit scores like this every day." Her score was about 815. Anything over 800 is great.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
The mortgage broker was very impressed told my wife: "You don't see credit scores like this every day." Her score was about 815. Anything over 800 is great.

Right, I hardly ever see many above 800, usually they're something like 805 or 810, never saw one close to 850. Even doctors with million dollar homes were in the low 800 or high 7's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back