Cow in South Carolina tests positive for mad cow disease

I was called in to consult on an issue in a cattle processing facility in eastern Georgia a while back. I think I've talked about it before, but it was something I've never forgotten. The sounds of the cattle going up the chute to the "stunner", the look in their eyes, and the way the product was processed.

In regard to the "nerve tissue", the spine was cut in half lengthwise (along with the carcass) and the cord "picked out" and discarded on the floor. Obviously the blade passed through the entire carcass. The halves were hosed down with a solution (I wasn't told what it was - wasn't relevant to what I was called in for), and the halves continued down the production line.

I know nothing about prions, and where they are distributed in nerve tissue. I just hope the FDA and CDC stay on top of this. The facility I saw processed thousands of cattle daily. If cross-contamination can occur, then our safety is dependent on the honesty and work ethic of the lowest paid workers in this type of facility.

Cows dont have horns. Bulls do.
That's bull. Generally male and female bovines grow horns. An exception are purebred Angus and neither males nor females grow horns. And even Angus cattle may on rare occasions carry the genes for growing horns.

Or quickly. My wife’s favorite aunt was normal at Thanksgiving, unable to speak by Christmas, and dead by Easter. She had a presumptive diagnosis of early onset rapidly progressing dementia but her post-mortem showed CJD.
That's an awful way of going. So sorry to hear that.

Last edited:
That is new information for me. Now I have to research this about squirrels - and since squirrels are just rats with furry tails, does this mean rats too?
As far as I know, only birds don't get prion diseases. Prion diseases have only been found in mammals so far, especially in humans, ungulates, rodents, and cats. Most cases of CJD are probably not caused by the consumption of BSE-infected tissue but due to spontaneous formation that is linked to a genetic predisposition. The trigger could be an external stimulus. For example, I may have a genetic predisposition for CJD. When I consume food that is infected with BSE this stimulus triggers CJD. There was once a prion disease by the name of kuru which was caused by the unsavory habit of Papuan cannibals eating human brains.

Last edited:
Back