Could Tesla trucks be TSLA's greater accomplishment?

I'm concerned too. The big advantage of owning a Tesla has been and is the Supercharger Network. I don't use Superchargers a lot but I use them when we take our Tesla on a long trip. If that network becomes less reliable, I would consider other options.

If anyone had asked me what I could give up, I would have told them I could do without the games. Don't use them at all. My Tesla is a car not a toy.

Oh, and put a conventional steering wheel with turn signal stalks back in the revised Model 3 too please.
I don't see them as toys either. I feel I have two very solid choices for efficiency, fun, and convenience approached from very different angles. What my indecisiveness has told me is I would either have two Teslas or replace my GTI with the new model. At least for now I think I made the right decision the first time. I need something different to come on the market to sway me and if it's a Tesla, they need to bolster the support of the charging network to keep me in their camp. I'm much closer to owning two Teslas than two of any other maker at the same time. I can't see replacing my current Tesla though.

Me thinks you may be reading too many of my posts, AG.
I sat in one the other day when I went to see the M3P. And hardly a day goes by when I don't see one on the road...
View attachment 217508
I was really shocked seeing one in person and getting to sit in it at the service center. There's still a lot of novelty feel in it and I don't feel it's positive in my experience for me, but I think that'll change when I start seeing them on the road. Milwaukee and Madison Wisconsin haven't had them and the sticks I live in will be the last to see them I bet. My wife is in Madison today, so I'm sure if there's one on the road I'll get to hear about it. I have been to a Tesla event a few months back and I did talk to one Model 3 owner who had one on order, but I haven't heard anything from him about getting a Cybertruck yet. My wife is more involved with the club than I am. I think another gathering will happen when some of them start to get trucks though.

All I need for my normal trip to the peninsula 😎

Oh I get it, there's a cool setup and purpose for that. I just couldn't help doing the math when that number came up that I wouldn't make it one way on one of my work locations.

I could use a truck at times, but I wonder if I could bump up the range on a Lightning by lowering it. I'm thinking a 90's sport truck approach. That could be cool. Even something like this. A bit of drop and nice wheels.

ford-f150-with-bronze-24x10-vossen-hf6-3-wheels.jpg

Oh I get it, there's a cool setup and purpose for that. I just couldn't help doing the math when that number came up that I wouldn't make it one way on one of my work locations.

I could use a truck at times, but I wonder if I could bump up the range on a Lightning by lowering it. I'm thinking a 90's sport truck approach. That could be cool. Even something like this. A bit of drop and nice wheels.

ford-f150-with-bronze-24x10-vossen-hf6-3-wheels.jpg
Thought the same of a PPV Tahoe - they do it for high speed stability - but bound to get better MPG over “taller” units …

I really like the stainless steel. Obviously the fact that it's very fast and electric.

Besides that, I suspect it's not all that fun to ride in or drive. Visibility seems pretty bad.

I don't see them as toys either. I feel I have two very solid choices for efficiency, fun, and convenience approached from very different angles. What my indecisiveness has told me is I would either have two Teslas or replace my GTI with the new model. At least for now I think I made the right decision the first time. I need something different to come on the market to sway me and if it's a Tesla, they need to bolster the support of the charging network to keep me in their camp. I'm much closer to owning two Teslas than two of any other maker at the same time. I can't see replacing my current Tesla though.
I like my Tesla just fine. A Tesla Model 3 would be hard to beat for local use. It's okay for long trips too, just not as good as an ICE vehicle.

So if the Supercharger network gets at all dodgy, I won't take the Tesla on long trips any more. I'll keep the Tesla and eventually replace the Honda with something like a Camry or a Lexus ES 350. I appreciate their reliability. A 3 to 5 year old used one would be just fine.

I would like a VW GTI but I'm put off by the maintenance and repair costs and the ongoing questions around reliability. Most owners I know have some horror story about repair costs that they think is kind of normal ("Mine has been very reliable. Except the XYZ failed, but it only cost $1500 to have it repaired.") I rent them when I get the chance.

I like my Tesla just fine. A Tesla Model 3 would be hard to beat for local use. It's okay for long trips too, just not as good as an ICE vehicle.

So if the Supercharger network gets at all dodgy, I won't take the Tesla on long trips any more. I'll keep the Tesla and eventually replace the Honda with something like a Camry or a Lexus ES 350. I appreciate their reliability. A 3 to 5 year old used one would be just fine.

I would like a VW GTI but I'm put off by the maintenance and repair costs and the ongoing questions around reliability. Most owners I know have some horror story about repair costs that they think is kind of normal ("Mine has been very reliable. Except the XYZ failed, but it only cost $1500 to have it repaired.") I rent them when I get the chance.
I love stories from my friends girlfriend aunt daughter boyfriend experience.
What exactly are ongoing reliability issues?

I could see that. A 50kW genset could greatly reduce battery weight while being quiet and clean (diesel or otherwise). Not sure about how aggressively regenerative braking could charge the battery pack--seems like that could be hard on the battery?--but overall less weight and work better for any place not having long hills.
Look up Edison motors, they're building a hybrid-diesel truck

I love stories from my friends girlfriend aunt daughter boyfriend experience.
What exactly are ongoing reliability issues?
Read consumer reports. VW's repair record is never very good. Compare it to Honda, Toyota, Lexus (all well above average).

A few examples from my friends and colleagues (all first hand examples):

My friends gave their son their fairly new VW wagon. It required a major repair (literally) on the 500 km drive home. Steering rack then went out and the son "parked it" for good.

Friend had a VW GTI. Really liked the car. It was his daily driver. The engine "went out on it" and had to be replaced. He's not a mechanical guy so I never got any better answer than that. He's a 60 plus year old physician who takes really good care of his things (Mustang GT convertible, Panos Esperante, silver Ducati motorcycle). Dumped the car.

Colleague had a VW Jetta. Really liked the car. Back window blew out while sitting in the parking lot. Just outside of warranty by miles, not time. VW declined any warranty or goodwill coverage. Billed him full retail price (and it was a lot). Dumped the car and swore he'd never buy another VW.

A volunteer at the museum where I also volunteer has a VW still under warranty. Had a $1500 (minor) engine repair under warranty (I knew but no longer remember the details). A $1500 minor engine repair on a nearly new car!

I never hear about this kind of stuff on the many Toyota, Lexus or Hondas owned by friends, and there are a lot more of them than VWs. I have to say I really like VWs. I rent them whenever I can. I've considered buying one several times but I just can't get past the reliability issue.

I assume you are talking about the cyber truck and not the Tesla Semi? Those are kind of .... not sexy ... even in the Bay Area so I don't know if they will sell way more in the future than today.

IMO the greatest TSLA accomplishment is the supercharger network and the batteries. Their cars are not bad but the batteries they have are what help them get to where they are today.

I can see Tesla Semi doing very well in yard operation and local delivery but not long haul as well, but not Cyber Truck unless they redesign it to be more like Rivian.

Tesla clearly intended the CT to have a look unlike anything else on the road.
Like it or hate it, it is distinctive.
This is what will attract buyers willing to part with the kind of coin needed to buy one of these, along with the beta tester ownership experience with early examples.
I think Rivian erred in offering what looks like a very conventional pickup with a goofy front end.
Can Tesla make a success of this thing? Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against them.

Read consumer reports. VW's repair record is never very good. Compare it to Honda, Toyota, Lexus (all well above average).

A few examples from my friends and colleagues (all first hand examples):

My friends gave their son their fairly new VW wagon. It required a major repair (literally) on the 500 km drive home. Steering rack then went out and the son "parked it" for good.

Friend had a VW GTI. Really liked the car. It was his daily driver. The engine "went out on it" and had to be replaced. He's not a mechanical guy so I never got any better answer than that. He's a 60 plus year old physician who takes really good care of his things (Mustang GT convertible, Panos Esperante, silver Ducati motorcycle). Dumped the car.

Colleague had a VW Jetta. Really liked the car. Back window blew out while sitting in the parking lot. Just outside of warranty by miles, not time. VW declined any warranty or goodwill coverage. Billed him full retail price (and it was a lot). Dumped the car and swore he'd never buy another VW.

A volunteer at the museum where I also volunteer has a VW still under warranty. Had a $1500 (minor) engine repair under warranty (I knew but no longer remember the details). A $1500 minor engine repair on a nearly new car!

I never hear about this kind of stuff on the many Toyota, Lexus or Hondas owned by friends, and there are a lot more of them than VWs. I have to say I really like VWs. I rent them whenever I can. I've considered buying one several times but I just can't get past the reliability issue.
So tell me, how many VW’s you had?
Do you know how much is minor repair on trunk hinge on Toyota Sienna? $3,800 without labor. There you go, now you know story about Toyota.

Do you know how much is minor repair on trunk hinge on Toyota Sienna? $3,800 without labor. There you go, now you know story about Toyota.
There are always gonna be outliers.
But in no world is VW reliability or total cost of ownership in Toyota's league.

I loved my 64 Bug, by the way.

There are always gonna be outliers.
But in no world is VW reliability or total cost of ownership in Toyota's league.

I loved my 64 Bug, by the way.
Both my Tiguan and BMW together were cheaper than Sienna. I don’t wanna talk about that Prado I have in Europe. That is in its own league.

Today I had a lot of windshield time, primarily on I5 driving south in California. Like many BITOGERs, I am always looking at vehicles.

Nothing memorable caught me eye, until I saw a auto transporter with three Tesla trucks heading north on i5. Wow were the Tesla trucks eye catchers.

GM published a article ten years ago stating their biggest challenge was getting young people interested in vehicles. Per GM, the current younger generation has little interest/passion when it comes to vehicles.

Like, love, hate, or dispise the Tesla truck, without a doubt it is sparking the interest of young people. Something not a single automaker worldwide has been able to do on a macro basis in the USA in this century.

The Tesla truck may be a genius loss leader.

On a side note, the proprietor's of Wall Drug made generational wealth with a loss leader, signs that offered free ice water to travelers going through South Dakota.
The cyber truck is popular with the same crowd that likes the Rivian.

You’ve got a long way to go to make a real splash in the pickup market.

I've owned one VW. I liked it. But it was the car that I've spent the most money on repairs. Drove it the longest as I liked it the most.

If I owned another one, I would not expect Camry level of repairs. Camry's fall apart after 200k, absolutely, I've had two and that is what they do. But MkIV's seem to come unglued at 100k. YMMV.

I've owned one VW. I liked it. But it was the car that I've spent the most money on repairs. Drove it the longest as I liked it the most.

If I owned another one, I would not expect Camry level of repairs. Camry's fall apart after 200k, absolutely, I've had two and that is what they do. But MkIV's seem to come unglued at 100k. YMMV.
MKIV? I remember from that period of time all Japanese vehicles gaining performance due to loss of weight caused by excessive corrosion. Unless, sludge in engine kills it before that.

MKIV? I remember from that period of time all Japanese vehicles gaining performance due to loss of weight caused by excessive corrosion. Unless, sludge in engine kills it before that.
In the 70’s all dealerships had very green grass from the iron precipitation off the lots 😶

Back