Costco battery dead after 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Just avoid any battery made by Exide.

Do you have recent history and data to back that up, or are you propagating a wife's tale?

While I do avoid Exide, the ones I've seen installed in friend's cars seem to be doing just fine, even with all the terminal corrosion on them.

I don't see too many of them moving off the shelves at Home Depot though.

I always buy the strongest OEM batteries for my vehicles and change them every 3 years no matter how they test. This is an absolute for my wife's car as I never want her to be stranded because of a bad battery in today's world filled with crazy, violent a-holes. Some of the vehicles guys let their wives and daughters drive alone, often at night I would not even allow in my driveway. Saving a few bucks is not important when it comes to the safety of my family. I might let the battery go a little longer in my vehicles but start carrying a jump box at the 3 year point if I do.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Costco batteries seem to be the best value around.

Agreed and in my case for at least Civics they are cheapest too, when compared with Walmart or AAP(all coupons included).

I've had an Exide fail rather prematurely, around the 18-24 month mark. This was back in 2012. That hasn't kept me from using them, I hope it was a one-off fluke.

Lately I've been buying the Rural King batteries made by Exide. Just this year I've bought my truck a Group 65 (around $50) and my Nissan got a new Group 24 for all of $45 and change. If they hold up at least 4-5 years, I'll be happy. Just can't beat the price, so I'll use them unless they give me another reason not to.

Been very pleased with Johnson Controls batteries in the past-- I have a Everstart Maxx and a Super Start Silver (O'reilly store brand) that are past the 5 year mark and still doing fine. I had one Everstart Maxx battery go over 10 years, but on that vehicle it was located under the rear seat where the environment is a lot more conducive to battery life.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Lately I've been buying the Rural King batteries made by Exide. Just this year I've bought my truck a Group 65 (around $50) and my Nissan got a new Group 24 for all of $45 and change. If they hold up at least 4-5 years, I'll be happy. Just can't beat the price, so I'll use them unless they give me another reason not to.

Consider getting some felt washers to put on the battery posts. This is the only that helped keep the positive terminal from getting build up on it. Only a dollar or two at Walmart. The NOCO battery felt washers.

I never had luck with Exide but always had luck with Johnson Control, Then JC became a problem so I switched to Interstate, then they became a problem so I went back to Exide for a try and same issues. Now I'm an Odyssey battery guy. Buy it once and it lasts a very long time. Especially in vehicles where it's hard to remove/replace like my Journey.
mad.gif

For certain battery sizes, such as Group 65, where I cannot find a European alternative, I stick with East Penn. I got a Deka Gold on all my Group 65 applications and my Envoy, which calls for Group 78. Turned my back on JC batteries after the Group 78 I had leaked acid onto my frame and stripped off all the paint, and that excludes the acid damaged battery clamps I had to replace when it starts leaking acid in 125+ F weather.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Why dont you try out the $49 Walmart battery and let us know how it goes. I bet they are almost identical, or maybe even identical, to the $90-$100 battery, just slapped with a different label and price.

No they are not. Batteries with higher ratings/longer warranty will have more supports and lead in them. The cheaper batteries will have much less lead and support for the plates.

If you plan to keep the car less than 2 years then the cheap batteries should work fine. If you plan to keep longer then get another costco battery or use a coupon and pick up a Gold battery from advance auto.

If you are at walmart weigh the premium battery and a $49 battery. The difference is pretty obvious.

Well the Walmart Value battery weighs more than the Costco Interstate. Hmmm...... confused.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Costco batteries seem to be the best value around.

I wished they carried the "boot" battery for the Toyota/Lexus hybrids - I have a O'Reilly branded Deka Intimidator AGM in my car right now which I have faith in.

Costco's batteries might be JCIs, but their warranty policy is the best I've seen. I've taken in a 7-year old Kirkland battery that was under the prorated part of the warranty - I got 50% of the battery's original purchase price back. It's now 40 months free replacement, not as generous but better than the 2-3 year free replacement windows that are common.

I have always had very good luck with the batteries sold at Walmart, for a long time it was just labelled the Energizer but now it's called the Maxx Everstart (although I do believe it's still the same battery just with a new name) These batteries always cost less than OEM and have more cold cranking amps too. I've actually never had one fail on me in any car I've put them in. The one in my Civic is now 5.5 years and this morning it had no trouble starting the car even though the temperature was around 5F.

Sometimes you just get lucky.

The Interstate lawn battery in my garden tractor is knocking on 10 years old. It was a cheap one on sale at Home Depot. I just started it last night to clear some snow and it didn't miss a beat. The first battery in this tractor only lasted 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back