Corvette passengers survive 126mph head on crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad story in the news about a NFL player drunk driving his Corvette, rear-ended a Toyota RAV 4 killing that female occupant and her dog. The RAV4 caught fire, and the occupants died. The impressive part of the story is the Corvette safety. Both the driver and passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries. I didn't link to the story but you can find it online. Not intending to make this about the individual or anything other than the impressive safety of the Corvette here.

I cannot fathom the amazing safety devices in a street vehicle that allow occupants to survive 126mph (speed at which the airbags deployed)! Apparently there is information he had been traveling over 150mph.

I was once in a collision going maybe under 20mph. I was in the front seat and not belted in, and was thrown forward with force... That taught me a lesson on wearing a seatbelt because the force was impressive. Going from 126mph to 0mph instantly, is unbelievable force.

... Apparently there is information he had been traveling over 150mph. ...
Seems like fate reversed the consequences. The people at fault survived, the people who did nothing wrong died. Life isn't fair.

... Going from 126mph to 0mph instantly, is unbelievable force.
If it were instant, it would be fatal. The purpose of seatbelts, airbags and other crash protection is to ensure it isn't instant, but to spread the force over just a little more time and distance to make the deceleration less violent. And to absorb as much of the energy as possible so less energy is transmitted to the occupants -- for example crush zones that allow the energy to bend or deform the structure rather than the occupants.

Not sure the year of the Rav 4 but only in the last few years have auto manufacturers started adding rear crumple zones and impact beams. When I worked for a Lexus dealership an elderly couple had purchased an RX450 from a co-worker what i remembered. They were rear-ended at 50mph from what the police report and insurance company said. They came back to purchase another one. The elderly couple only had minor bruises from the seatbelts and airbags

Henry Ruggs III, LV Raiders wide receiver, 2nd year, $4M per year salary, one of the fastest receivers in the league.
Felony drunk driving. 3:49 AM. Residential street. 157 mph. .16 blood alcohol level.
Tragic. The RAV4 gal is dead. Ruggs is facing 26 years. Everyone loses horribly.

What if he were your son or she was your daughter? Horrible.

Everyone loses horribly.
No, HE chose to drive drunk but she had NO choice and died. He might spend a few years in prison and then resume his life, she cant. Getting tired of all the comments after something like this happens saying it's a tragedy for BOTH parties. It's an inconvenience for one but permanent for the other.

When the police and the insurance investigators get the opportunity to decipher the Corvette's black box, they will know the real details. Meanwhile there are no words to describe Henry Ruggs being so reckless and negligent in snuffing out an innocent life.

Henry Ruggs III, LV Raiders wide receiver, 2nd year, $4M per year salary, one of the fastest receivers in the league.
Felony drunk driving. 3:49 AM. Residential street. 157 mph. .16 blood alcohol level.
Tragic. The RAV4 gal is dead. Ruggs is facing 26 years. Everyone loses horribly.

What if he were your son or she was your daughter? Horrible.
& he killed her little dog, too.
Time for lock-up. 22 years old & done.

No, HE chose to drive drunk but she had NO choice and died. He might spend a few years in prison and then resume his life, she cant. Getting tired of all the comments after something like this happens saying it's a tragedy for BOTH parties. It's an inconvenience for one but permanent for the other.
It is a tragedy for everyone involved. Everyone. I never said equally. Personally, I hate alcohol.

Seems like fate reversed the consequences. The people at fault survived, the people who did nothing wrong died. Life isn't fair.

If it were instant, it would be fatal. The purpose of seatbelts, airbags and other crash protection is to ensure it isn't instant, but to spread the force over just a little more time and distance to make the deceleration less violent. And to absorb as much of the energy as possible so less energy is transmitted to the occupants -- for example crush zones that allow the energy to bend or deform the structure rather than the occupants.

Yeah. The human body (an in shape one) can handle about 50g’s before soft tissue starts to tear apart. Roman Grosjean’s crash last year was 54 g’s, plus the fire. Pretty nuts.

You raise excellent points. Decades ago I thought air bags were gimmicks. I didn't understand how instantly they deploy and what they accomplish. It wasn't until, again decades ago, that I watched slow motion video of airbags in operation.

Cars with functional airbags, shoulder belts, crumple zones, etc. truly are a huge safety selling point IMO. I'm just stunned 2 people could survive that crash.

But here's a twist. In high school, 1990s, 4 of my classmates were involved in a high speed car vs. oak tree collision. The driver was speeding, probably ~80mph, around curves, over-corrected, and lost control right into a mature oak that still stands today decades later. The front seat passengers were belted, but died. The two rear passengers were not belted in, and miraculously survived. It was their first date, and they married and raised a family. But it's fascinating that the belted couple in the front, died. Luck of the draw, and exception to the rule, I guess. Tragic situation and example of how this life is so fragile. You could be just sitting there - like the lady and the dog, or the girl in the passenger seat - and a reckless driver ends it instantly.

No words to express feeling toward him. Let's see if he truly turns his life around and becomes someone who devotes himself to a worthy cause. I'm betting against him. Hope I am wrong.

I would say his life is pretty much over, but his problems are just beginning, prison time, lawsuits, career.

He should have called a Uber. Don't drink and drive!!!
The guy makes hella money. He can afford an UberBlack or a limo/town car(VIP) to his friend’s place.

I’m gonna get banned saying this but there should be a dual-mode airbag that doubles as a Claymore mine if a drunk’s behind the wheel. Too many innocent people died due to drunkards. I think Volvo worked on a sensor to detect a drunk driver. It was a fuel cell like a breathalyzer. If alcohol was detected, no start.

The guy makes hella money. He can afford an UberBlack or a limo/town car(VIP) to his friend’s place.

I’m gonna get banned saying this but there should be a dual-mode airbag that doubles as a Claymore mine if a drunk’s behind the wheel. Too many innocent people died due to drunkards. I think Volvo worked on a sensor to detect a drunk driver. It was a fuel cell like a breathalyzer. If alcohol was detected, no start.
Alcohol and gasoline is a deadly mixture. I am so grateful to be sober. But for the grace....
Most importantly, I feel so sorry for the family of the innocent victim.

I think the rear end of another car is a pretty soft energy absorber compared to the front end of a car. Almost all the crash testing involves making the front of the vehicle stronger while I don't see much on improving the rear crash protection. 120mph is still very fast though and I guess he was still "lucky" to survive it.

Where did he get this drunk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back