Corvette C8 Sold Out, Speculating Resale

Status
Not open for further replies.
38 years old, full head of hair C7 Grand Sport owner here. Love it. No gold chains, New Balances, jorts or braided leather belts either. I'll be looking hard at the C8s in the next 12-24 months.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
They don't hold their value very well anyways.

My c6 z06 held its value very well. I paid $67k+ttl for it, and a year later traded it for $59k. Find me another $70k car that holds value that well.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
It's a Chevy so it won't hold value.
Sure you can find great deals on low mileage C6 Corvettes.

90% of Corvette owners are older, balding men in their 50s with gold chains and put very few miles on their car.

Bought my new z06 when I was 25. Not all of us fit your stereotype.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
It's a Chevy so it won't hold value.
Sure you can find great deals on low mileage C6 Corvettes.

90% of Corvette owners are older, overweight balding men in their 50s with gold chains and put very few miles on their car.

Bought my new z06 when I was 25. Not all of us fit your stereotype.

You're in the 10% of Corvette owners...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dareo
Its a Corvette. They are all owned by old people wearing new balance shoes, shorts, and they only drive it to the golf course on a sunny day. You see so many low mile mint Vettes that don't get driven much. They spend more time being waxed and looked at than probably any other car i can think of. Not sure why, its just a chevy.

Grail car for people who were alive during GM's zenith in the 1960s?

It's really not so easy to get other affordable cars to beat the performance of a Corvette. Just a casual and completely non scientific observation, but at Sebring on track days, the C7 Z51 runs with cars 2-3x the price, Porsche mostly, and not the lower end models.

While I don't currently own a 'Vette, I'd like one due to the performance.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Its a Corvette. They are all owned by old people wearing new balance shoes, shorts, and they only drive it to the golf course on a sunny day. You see so many low mile mint Vettes that don't get driven much. They spend more time being waxed and looked at than probably any other car i can think of. Not sure why, its just a chevy.

Grail car for people who were alive during GM's zenith in the 1960s?

It's really not so easy to get other affordable cars to beat the performance of a Corvette. Just a casual and completely non scientific observation, but at Sebring on track days, the C7 Z51 runs with cars 2-3x the price, Porsche mostly, and not the lower end models.

While I don't currently own a 'Vette, I'd like one due to the performance.

The performance is actually why I sold my Z06.

I didn't track the car, and when you drive something that will do 0-100mph in under 8 seconds, the amount of fun you can have with it on the street without risking legit real-deal jail time is super limited. NOONE wants to roll on you with it, so you don't even get to flex, really, and if you find someone who WILL, you hit 160mph REAL fast, and I don't even know the consequences if you actually get cited for that.

Long story short, since I didn't track it, it became the roughest riding Chevy Cobalt on the planet...or a ticket to jail. Take your pick.

I ended up selling it for a 370Z, which hit the perfect sweet-spot for acceleration on the street, for me. My current CX5 is a tad slow for my taste, being about like a current base WRX, and I'd like to ultimately weasel my way back into something that is 370Z-ish. 0-60 in 5 seconds flat or so without much effort, and low 13's in the quarter. You can still play with that without being totally stupid.

So before you buy a car based on "performance", please consider what I wrote above, if you haven't already. I know even had I read that post, I wouldn't have cared, I'd have bought it anyway, but I'd have remembered the post when I sold it a year later, lol!

Originally Posted by Ws6

My c6 z06 held its value very well. I paid $67k+ttl for it, and a year later traded it for $59k. Find me another $70k car that holds value that well.

You did very well. Who paid you that much?
A 12% drop is low for 1st year, especially for a Corvette.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Nissan dealer. Got a 370z at msrp, and they paid off my z06 at 59k. That model 370 was selling msrp all day long at that time, nationally, and it took months to get one in the US that didnt sell as soon as it hit soil that my dealer could trade for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Nissan dealer. Got a 370z at msrp, and they paid off my z06 at 59k. That model 370 was selling msrp all day long at that time, nationally, and it took months to get one in the US that didnt sell as soon as it hit soil that my dealer could trade for.

You did very well. $8K, or 12%, for a year of ownership on a new Vette ain't bad.

WS6 describes one of my Corvette concerns. It being TOO fast. I would love a 7.0 LS7 but it would be too much for my non track never street racing use. Hence the base model is in my sights. Not having to worry about LS7 valve drop issues is an added bonus.

Base model, even a high mile base model, would ideal. I guess i want a beater C6 just to play around with and not worry about. Park it outside, get winter wheels and drive it in the snow, just not really care that much.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Used Corvette values will drop like a stone once the flood begins. Except for the classics, of course.

I like the C7 grand sports A LOT. I'm looking at picking a boomer-babied example in the next couple of years. Either that or an AMG Mercedes coupe of some sort.

WS6 describes one of my Corvette concerns. It being TOO fast. I would love a 7.0 LS7 but it would be too much for my non track never street racing use. Hence the base model is in my sights. Not having to worry about LS7 valve drop issues is an added bonus.

Base model, even a high mile base model, would ideal. I guess i want a beater C6 just to play around with and not worry about. Park it outside, get winter wheels and drive it in the snow, just not really care that much.

GM fixed the LS7. Some made it out with bad valve guides, as I understand, and that was the problem. It's not inherent to the design, it was a manufacturing flaw. That said, yes, the LS7 was too much for me+the street, to be sensible in my book. I have licenses and so forth to worry over.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Used Corvette values will drop like a stone once the flood begins. Except for the classics, of course.

I like the C7 grand sports A LOT. I'm looking at picking a boomer-babied example in the next couple of years. Either that or an AMG Mercedes coupe of some sort.

The MB will be a nicer, more well-rounded car, but the corvette will likely outperform it, and do so for much cheaper, and last longer with frequent track use.

I agree with Ws6's point of view, with additional input. The fastest Tesla cars accelerate just as fast, but they are AWD, "drama free" and near silent. It makes all the difference, as there is no real risk in using the HP to get up to speed. And yes, the Corvette drives like a Malibu when going slow. It's numb.

I also agree that the "fun to drive" factor has to be there. Hot hatchbacks have always been fun, for example.

But I purchase a fun car for my driving pleasure, not to beat the next guy. I enjoy the driving dynamics of a well engineered "toy".

Originally Posted by 4WD
Parked by the $30k Tesla

This is exactly my point.

When I said the big three do the exact same thing guys claimed they didn't.

I had to listen to people whine endlessly about a car they wouldn't buy, talk about liars, and thieves - when the big three do it the same guys are radio silent.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
But they go like stink.
Highway Patrol likes red ones best.

It is difficult/impossible to drive one of any color anywhere near their potential on the street and keep your license. You have to pick your spots carefully. ...€

Rod

Last edited:

Low mileage garage queen C5s are still selling in the low 20s...I wish the bottom would fall out on their prices as I'm looking to buy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back