Cordless Impact buying questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For unsiezed lugs, a 3/8" 18v will do. For higher torque or lugs that see salt, a decent 1/2" 20v is needed.

The 20v will be fairly big. Marital, dewalt and Milwaukee all make brushless 20v units that are roughly the same. I'd consider what tool ecosystem you like best first, though all three ecosystems have some tools that are best of...

18v vs 20v is just marketing. All are Ali-ion, and it's the only way you want to go. The big red all have great 20v guns and great batteries, but I'd probably rank makita=Milwaukee>DeWalt>Ridgid>>Ryobi (ryobi is partially rated that way because they use uber-low Wh rated cells).

I forget which is which, but I'm not a fan of the connection type that requires you to push in a pin to remove a socket.

A cordless will not replace an air impact for tight spots. It may for other jobs. All my cordless units have two torque levels and variable speed, so you can adjust how much torque and impact you're trying to apply within reason.

Lots of videos on YouTube using machines to verify torque rating of the various units.

Its a worthy purchase if you think you'll use it, but in many ways, a 3/8 or even a right angle 1/4 hex with adapter is more handy, so you'll probably find yourself getting other similar tools later in smaller sizes if you start with a 1/2".

Have fun!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I need to learn about cordless impact wrenches before making a purchase so I have some questions.

Do they hammer same as air?

Can you set them for different torque settings?

What torque is good for anything around the house including my truck, lugs, etc

What is the difference between the 18v and 20v? They both provide similar torque ratings. Are there any more?

What is the trending/newest/longest lasting/best battery type?

I read descriptions like Hog ring, anvil ring, friction ring, and detent pin. What are the benefits of each, which is desirable?

Experienced cordless impact users, how reliable are they compared to air? Does the battery slowly degrade like lithium?

Anything else to consider

Thanks everyone.

I have 3 cordless impacts and really like them. If I could do it all over again I would get the Milwaukee fuel mid torque kit with the hog ring anvil. This mid torque will do and have enough power for nearly everything an average DIYer will need. It is smaller and lighter than my big awkward Dewalt (by a lot) and more powerful than the small compact Milwaukee's while still small enough go in some pretty tight places, this means I will use it more often. I really like the power of my big Dewalt but most of the time it is not needed or can't be used because of its size, plus this thing is HEAVY. My compact Milwaukee sometimes just isn't enough or has to really hammer on bolts to get them free. I have never worried about the batteries the 5 amp size will last for a long time even several big jobs before recharging is needed. Even with an impact, I suggest you keep or get a nice 18" and 24" breaker bars and a torque wrench with deep and short impact sockets. These always work.

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I went to HD and Lowe's yesterday armed with the information you all have given me. Lowe's had a plugged in display so I could play with them. I noticed they had smaller high powered impact drivers similar to my 1/2 onyx air impact. With power up to 1800 ft lb. I did not find the stubby ones that heavy. I also noticed that none of the DeWalt cordless impact drivers plugged in did anything when I pulled the trigger. The drill right next to it worked. Maybe I was just missing a locking mechanism. Or maybe cordless impacts don't work when there's nothing in the chuck?

I also noticed they sell "brushless" Cordless Impact Drivers which cost $100 more. Is it worth it?

Also it wasn't obvious which battery pack from which manufacturer offers the most options for tools. It looks like a tie between Milwaukee and DeWalt but I'm not sure can anybody help me with that?

Brushless is better. Definitely.

Id say the gossip is makita and Milwaukee.

Home Depot stocks the Makita XWT08Z. I am growing more fond of the makita ecosystem, so think that is what Is buy if I was doing it over again. But you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Impact drivers are typically used by carpenters for driving screws into wood.

Impact wrenches are used by mechanics.

The larger capacity batteries are heavier. If you were a Carpenter using the impact driver all day, then two smaller batteries might be better as they are lighter.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
My dad has a 30 year old Snap On air impact wrench. Still works. My air impact wrench is about 8 years old. I bet I will still be using it in 30 or 40 years.

Air is the way to go for longevity. Batteries have come a long way, but an air impact will still be working in 30 years (residential use), while a battery powered one will have been obsoleted 7 times by then. Add up the battery replacement cost over its lifetime and .....

Battery powered is certainly convenient. But my honest opinion... if you have a compressor at the house, its hard to beat a good air impact. And if you dont have an air compressor at the house, then buy one.

How big of a compressor do you need to run an impact wrench?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Home Depot stocks the Makita XWT08Z. I am growing more fond of the makita ecosystem, so think that is what Is buy if I was doing it over again. But you really can't go wrong with any of the three.

Thanks, the Makita Brushless 1/2" looks awesome. Is there somewhere I can go to look at the ecosystem? I really want a battery powered weed whacker. The 2 gas powered units i have are too heavy, too much work keeping running correctly.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thanks, the Makita Brushless 1/2" looks awesome. Is there somewhere I can go to look at the ecosystem? I really want a battery powered weed whacker. The 2 gas powered units i have are too heavy, too much work keeping running correctly.

Check Home Depot. They carry tons of makita stuff around here. Ive seen the weedwackers.

I own a Makita 36v leaf blower. Would never use it in the fall for leaves, the energy isn't there. I use it to dry my cars and for that it's great. A weedwacker can often be an intermittent enough job that it may be well suited for a 36v setup.

I have the 1/2 inch Dewalt XR 20V. It is pretty good. Not quite up to the power of my "Thunder gun IR air impact"/

I also have the 3/8 inch Dewalt 20V. It's pretty weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back