Convert NG range to Propane..

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my buddy just replaced his gas range for a newer, fancier model.
His mom is slowly building herself a semi-off Grid "retreat", and wants his old range. I'm assuming at some point she'll get a big tank put in, but for now let's just assume she'll be using 20lb grill tanks.

how difficult of a conversion is this (if anyone here has actually done it)?

It's usually just a different set of nozzles, sometimes on the old ones it even comes with the nozzles on the back of stove where you connect the gas line. Otherwise you'd probably have to look up the model and buy the propane conversion kit for it.

My mom bought a new natural gas range about a year ago. The jets needed to convert to propane came with the unit and it was a simple. However, if her electricity would ever go out, the burners would have to be lit manually, as her stove has electronic lighting. The propane jets are smaller, so if you have an older natural gas range that needs to be converted to propane, there is an older, retired propane guru near me who I've seen braze the jets shut and redrill them to a smaller size.

I would imagine that the propane is under more pressure so smaller nozzles or a regulator are needed.

My stove came with the conversion orifices. As mentioned, propane needs smaller orifices than natural gas. Easy to replace, they just unscrew and you screw the new ones in. One for each burner and one for the oven. You just need to find the right ones for that particular stove if they're not with it. They could be in the bottom drawer or attached to the back of the stove. This is what mine look like.

20181222_185528.jpg

The gas pressure on nat gas ranges is 3.5 inches water column and propane 9 to 11 inches WC. Thats smaller orifices at higher pressure for propane. The regulator will need to be converted as well and the pressure checked with a manometer, preferably a water filled manometer.

All about the fact that one mole of gas occupies about 22.4 liters at STP

1 CH4 + 2 O2 = 1 CO2 + 2 H2O

1 C3H8 + 5 O2 = 3 CO2 + 4 H2O

So one volume of propane requires 2.5 times as much volume of oxygen to completely burn. So more air is needed relative to the volume of burnable gas.

Look for a bag taped to the back of the stove with instructions and spare parts.

My oven needs "shutters" (?) moved, a pretty easy deal.

The issue with the 20 lb tank is to be safe the tank should be outside, and they won't make a premade hose that goes from outside to inside.

Originally Posted by eljefino
The issue with the 20 lb tank is to be safe the tank should be outside, and they won't make a premade hose that goes from outside to inside.

I have a fairly high end home in South FL that uses gas for 6 burner cooktop, oven, dryer and previously the water heater (went with a hybrid heat pump WH instead) . A buried 250 gal propane tank was the previous setup. I removed it and switched to bottled propane, as the local propane delivery utility company was charging near $6 per gal of propane plus an $80 per month tank fee. $175/month minimum!

The 20 pounders don't contain 20 pounds anymore due to the overfill device, some brands contain as little as 15 pounds propane.

My suggestion is to use 30 pound propane tanks and fill them yourself locally. A 30 pounder will contain twice as much propane as a 20 pound tank.

I simply purchased a BBQ regulator at the local hardware store and plumbed it in to the house with the proper fittings and a gas shut off valve. Works perfectly, plenty of flow rate for all burners, dryer and oven at the same time. Plus I'm saving $175 per month when compared to the local propane utility company. To say I'm happy is an understatement.

Stoves come set up for natural gas look on back of stove and you might find a set of orfices. Since nat gas and lp also run at different pressures the regulator has a screw slot in the middle of it. Unscrew it pull spring and turn the the plug over put spring back and screw cover back on. Orfices come in different sizes according to btu output so they have to be matched to each burner including the oven which has two- broiler, oven. The manual with have all the info you need.

I've done both NG to LP, and then back again, for my stove and my gas dryer when we moved a few times.
it's not hard at all.
Several decent YT vids; search it.

Be safe; don't attempt unless you KNOW you can safely achieve the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back