conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't run cheap oil.it has mobil 1 5/20 in it now.i change at 5000 miles but reminder
comes 0n when I only have about 1000 miles it says change oil in seven days or 4000 miles
I think that's wasting oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Truth be told all current spec PCMO off the shelf is a blend of some sort.

+1

+2

Dave1251 is exactly right about this... And Havoline and Valvoline now say as much in their TDS.

While I do believe that today's conventional oils perform admirably (PYB is still my all time favorite oil) I just don't see any reason to run it, to be honest. Synthetic oils can be had at/below many conventional oil's prices with sales and rebates, so it just makes sense to go with the synthetic.

I have used conventional (Tuscon 2.4 L) for 58K+ miles, I use mostly 5W-30 or sometimes 10W-30 in summer.
Only the last oil change I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 full synthetic!
owner's manual spec is 5W-20 or 5W-30 or 10W-30 ... I think only 5W-20 comes in synthetic? and you are right there is no spec for synthetic.
I am hoping that I can have a longer OCI with Synthetic and the price was right!

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I would use whatever oil you can get a really good deal on. The engine you have usually only blows up from manufacturing defects or lack of maintenance. The type of oil you use doesn't matter, only the fact that you change it on time and keep receipts for the warranty.

This is the best post in the thread.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^^^^
There ya go. Nothing wrong with VWB, PYB, Havoline, Castrol etc etc...

01.gif

To continue the list a bit .... Chevron Supreme, Quaker State GB, Formula Shell, Mobil Super 5000, Peak, ..... Nothing wrong with any of these.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OilUzer
I have used conventional (Tuscon 2.4 L) for 58K+ miles, I use mostly 5W-30 or sometimes 10W-30 in summer.
Only the last oil change I used Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 full synthetic!
owner's manual spec is 5W-20 or 5W-30 or 10W-30 ... I think only 5W-20 comes in synthetic? and you are right there is no spec for synthetic.
I am hoping that I can have a longer OCI with Synthetic and the price was right!

5W20 comes in dino too.

Just ordered 36 quarts of Warren Oil "certified" brand from Sams Club, on sale for $1.25 a quart = $14.98 case of 12.
$1 less then I paid last year, might be clearing them out.

Its a "local" pick up item only. They say its still in stock, I will find out tomorrow when I am supposed to pick it up.
Bottom line, its the correct API for our automobiles and Ok part of me feels better knowing its a major refiner.

Last edited:
Well let me update the post above this one.
I always tell my wife, you cant take the Walmart out of Sams Club, even though you pay for the membership.

The oil I ordered from Sams Club above and was supposed to pick up today doesnt exist, even though it shows available on Sams Club Website "In Store", well its not and no place to be found, figures but doesnt surprise me, Walmart and Sams Club is like a curse at times, so popular with good prices (most times but not all), they cant keep their websites updated or their merchandise stocked.
They both REALLY suck at times.

So what did I do?
I went to Walmarts website and ordered 4 - 5 quart containers of Chevron 5w30 at an ok price of $12.42 with free shipping to my house.
I could have went with Super Tech, but for 53 cents more per 5 quart jug I decided to go all out with the name brand Chevron :eek:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back