Conventional in a Mustang V8...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I recently acquired a 2006 Ford Mustang GT convertible a few days ago and as with all of us here we instantly start thinking what kinda of oil and other products we are going to use on it. Right now with my fleet I use conventional oil and Im thinking I wanna stick with that. So my question for you guys isnt is it ok or another oil recommendation I am wondering would you use something like Super Tech conventional oil in your dream car? I am at a cross roads in that its my dream car so it should get the best but at the same time Im a full believer in conventional oil and regular OCI's.

There's nothing wrong with ST conventional oil. I have used it for 5K mile OCI's with either a Motorcraft oil filter, or a FU oil filter.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Super Tech conventional is junk, use something good like Pennzoil, Quaker or Mobil conventionals. ST turns to solid wax in the cold unlike the others. You get what you pay for, buy the good stuff and spend the extra few bucks, your engine will thank you.

Can you please elaborate on this subject just a bit more, with some kind of proof to back it up?
Thank You.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
dino will be just fine to use in the Mustang
smile.gif

But would you do it? Would you dump Super Tech 5w-20 conventional into that sump or would YOU pay for better? Im not asking if I can do it Im asking if you guys would do that?

I would run conventional oil in the Mustang if it meets the specs. I use conventional oil today. With that said, what oil you use in your vehicles is not my decision.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Super Tech conventional is junk, use something good like Pennzoil, Quaker or Mobil conventionals. ST turns to solid wax in the cold unlike the others. You get what you pay for, buy the good stuff and spend the extra few bucks, your engine will thank you.

Can you please elaborate on this subject just a bit more, with some kind of proof to back it up?
Thank You.

Certainly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc&t=1s

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is this the same basic engine that goes hundreds of thousands of miles in cop cars and taxis?

Yes it is and it's capable of going well over 300k on any decent oil.

Thank You.

Certainly

I love it when people dig those videos up as if they have any relevance whatsoever. They don't.

All it shows is that some oils are capable of flowing out of the bottle (with different spouts) at a temperature which is far below their rating. One should always use an oil that is properly rated for the expected operating conditions. If it were -40 out then none of those oils would be appropriate regardless of which ones might pour out of a bottle at that temperature. One would be ill advised to do otherwise.

Thank You.

Certainly

Thanks for providing that very informative video/test. That ST looked more like gum.
But, I live in the South and I have used ST with no problems at all. The conditions that the ST is being tested under, if someone lives where it gets that cold, DEFINITELY do not use the ST. But, other than that,
I highly recommend it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Thank You.

Certainly

I love it when people dig those videos up as if they have any relevance whatsoever. They don't.

All it shows is that some oils are capable of flowing out of the bottle (with different spouts) at a temperature which is far below their rating. One should always use an oil that is properly rated for the expected operating conditions. If it were -40 out then none of those oils would be appropriate regardless of which ones might pour out of a bottle at that temperature. One would be ill advised to do otherwise.

Pretty sure they are relevant lol, which one would you rather have in your engine in the cold? I have a big feeling you'd be dumping M1 or Amsoil in your engine before ST, I know I would!

Pretty sure they are relevant lol, which one would you rather have in your engine in the cold? I have a big feeling you'd be dumping M1 or Amsoil in your engine before ST, I know I would!

No actually it is completely irrelevant. I do start my BMW at -25F or below but I use an oil that is correctly rated for that temperature, not one that isn't. If Supertech had a 0W-XX that was suitable for my BMW I would use it.

Let's say he tested a 20W-50 in that mix. Would you condemn that particular brand as "bad" because it wouldn't flow out of the bottle nozzle?

My 08 has the same engine (basically) as your 06. I've run Mobil 1 5w20 in it for most of its life. Its pretty cheap... I kind of like knowing there is a quality oil in there when I decide to give it the beans. I've heard of others running conventional in the engine with no real ill effects. In the end its a tuned up F150 motor, not an exotic engine. But if you are going to be pushing it why not put something a little higher quality in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back