Consensus on Honda J-series engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil will you be using in the new Pilot? I'm sure Valvoline synthetic will serve it well just like your old Pilot.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What oil will you be using in the new Pilot? I'm sure Valvoline synthetic will serve it well just like your old Pilot.

I haven't made up my mind yet. I want to get back to doing oil changes myself so the possibilities are endless. I only used Valvoline Syn because I was at their quick oil change shop.

Folks, I will weigh in on the Honda J model V6 as well. I own the somewhat noted Honda Accord 6-6, that is the Honda Accord with the J35 V6 and the six speed Honda manual transmission. My Accord does not use VCM, but it consumes a minimal 1/2 quart per oil change interval using the Honda Maintenance Minder (MM) which averages about 8500 miles these days. My 2013 Accord has 65,000 miles on it, and I plan on keeping it for several years. I think the timing belt needs to be replaced at or shortly after 100,000 miles as the MM will alert to this. The timing belt replacement is of course the major maintenance item for this engine, about 1000 dollars per pop at the dealership from what I am told.

It is really too bad that Honda stopped installing these great engines in their cars in 2018. The non VCM J V6 engines are at least in my mind, outstanding. Honda is really known for its quality four bangers, but not so much for its two V6 models, the C and J engines. It is obvious that VCM at least in its earliest versions, sullied the J V6 engine design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PWMDMD
I haven't made up my mind yet. I want to get back to doing oil changes myself so the possibilities are endless. I only used Valvoline Syn because I was at their quick oil change shop.

This seems to have worked well:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4469338/Pennzoil_Plat_Euro_0w-40,_06_O

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
I have that engine in my car that's in the sig and love it. Sounds like a sewing machine at idle but has a nice little growl when redlined. The best part about the engine is that it only takes 4.5 quarts of oil with filter and I do 10,000 OCI's.

Wow thats it on capacity huh..

Interesting the ridgeline holds over a quart more and 5.7 I think. Im guessing because the tow rating.

UD

I have a 2016 Honda Accord with the V6 engine. This is my 5th Honda and never had any issues with the cars. Yes there have been issues with Honda's VCM technology in the past but it seems Honda has worked out the issues with current generations. I highly recommend you keep the initial break in oil at the interval recommend by Honda. Yes, according to Honda the cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. It's up to you whether you want to comply with the recommendation but I did and have no issues. I only use top tier gas (mainly Exxon) and Amsoil 0w20. Car does not burn any oil and runs perfectly. I believe the combination of top tier gas and a good synthetic oil can prevent issues.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I have that engine in my car that's in the sig and love it. Sounds like a sewing machine at idle but has a nice little growl when redlined. The best part about the engine is that it only takes 4.5 quarts of oil with filter and I do 10,000 OCI's.

Interesting the ridgeline holds over a quart more and 5.7 I think. Im guessing because the tow rating.

UD

You must be talking G2 Ridgeline? The J35s in all the G1 Ridgelines hold ~4.5 quarts. The newer pickups may need to hold more oil to try to help keep OCIs longer-ish with the oil-fouling DI system.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

UD

You must be talking G2 Ridgeline? The J35s in all the G1 Ridgelines hold ~4.5 quarts. The newer pickups may need to hold more oil to try to help keep OCIs longer-ish with the oil-fouling DI system.

Correct - as is in my sig line 2017 Ridgeline first year of gen II.

Perhaps, I drive in hot climates and tow (4K or so) in them so I expect little DI fuel fouling.

You said oil fouling - did you mean fuel fouling?

Just put 450 mile on her today - quite a nice machine. Level 2 automation on a high speed road trip is an amazing addition.

UD

Last edited:
Now if anyone could tell me how to permanently disable the “Idle Stop”.... and make instead the “rain sensing” sensor work.....

I meant oil-fouling, which means that DI systems foul the oil much more quickly than port injection.

I’ve got a J35A6 (non-VCM) in my 2010 Odyssey LX and I’m very pleased. I bought it used (at 61,342 miles) but I have records of every single maintenance visit- the first 100k miles were on dealer bulk 5W-20. At 100,716 I used PPHM 0W-20 just to try it. I just changed it out at 104,642 with Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend 5W-20, which is what I’ll use going forward. I’ve been using a FRAM TG7317 with the two oil changes I’ve done to it myself.

Just had the timing belt and water pump replaced. I plan on running this thing forever. I’ve never had issues with losing oil in the 43k miles I’ve added to it. Great van with an excellent motor!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: parshisa
I really could never feel the VCM, I don’t know when it is off and when it is on. It doesn’t burn any oil either. With that said, not sure it muzzler is needed at all. I’ve been running two OCI with M1 and currently with PP0w20. UOAs showed normal wear altgough fuel dilution drops vis pretty good. I’d say for my driving patterns 4.5-5K will be the max

Around town I agree. Other than the eco light going on and off, it's just seamless.

On the highway I can feel it engage and disengage, or whatever the right terminology is. It's a little clunky, since new, and I can see how it would potentially harm mounts when under 60-70hp, propelling the vehicle.

The dash “eco” light going on and off has nothing to do with the VCM engagement.

Have a 2017 EXL Pilot. EarthDreams ...... LOL !
I turned off 'Eco" before I drove it off the lot. My wife doesn't know about that little green/leaf button. It has stayed off for the first 10,000 miles......
I'd tape over it or break it if it was necessary! Never plan to engage it. ....and we get 21 mpg.... with our "lead feet".

I punch it on a regular basis.
First DI engine in the family. The BMWs are all port...
Anyways.... I find that Shell V Power 93 gives it some zip when it's hot.
And its approaching 90 degrees already in Indy!!!

We went from SNOW in April to summer heat in May. [censored].

But I digress!

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

I meant oil-fouling, which means that DI systems foul the oil much more quickly than port injection.

......right what "fouls" the oil is fuel.

This seems to not be a problem with the turbos much more so than the naturally aspirated 3.5.

UD

Sorry -I didnt write that well a all and it was too late to correct -

its a problem with the turbos - not the NA rigs from what I see.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back