Congestion Tolls for NYC?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
NYC, Manhattan, has some of the worst traffic and congestion in the country. Now, after years of trying to implement a toll for driving in the parts of the island, it looks like the toll will go into effect in the near future. I seem to recall that London has a similar program.

My wife and her friends just drove up there yesterday. I have not driven in NYC since last year, and could leave it. But I used to love the car pool rate for the crossings, I think $6 (maybe 2019 we used it last)--that felt like a bargain. Now that the car pool rate is gone I have no interest in going there.

The revenue collected will almost certainly be squandered--I say let it pan out to be a self-fulfilled prophecy.

They're already trying to figure out where their $16 BILLION in pandemic era aid to MTA went... These transit agencies are like a black hole, SORTA here in Cincinnati is the same way-gave them a sales tax increase, service is worse than ever!
Wait till AI replaces all those wall street jobs.

However you can say the same for any government agency.

Here in SC we tried to build a Nuclear Reactor - government backed public utility. They ended up scrapping it completely after spending more than was originally budgeted to begin with. After it stopped we found out the last couple years they were paying millions per month to have workers sit around and do absolutely zero - literally, their was no work done at all.

When I lived in NC we had ratcheting water rates, so in the summer watering your lawn the water bill was a couple hundred a month. We had a drought for a couple years where they put very strict lawn watering restrictions. They had people driving around writing tickets and a rat line. Of course everyone figured out - including me - that you didn't need to water your lawn as much as we were, so the drought ended and everyone remained using much less water. Rather than cut back they just raised everyone's rate.

They're already trying to figure out where their $16 BILLION in pandemic era aid to MTA went... These transit agencies are like a black hole, SORTA here in Cincinnati is the same way-gave them a sales tax increase, service is worse than ever!
Louis Rossman has a few videos on issues with the NTC subway system:

IMO, it's a giant pension fund, that also squanders money with waste a fraud, that happens to also sometime provide a service.

When I lived in NC we had ratcheting water rates, so in the summer watering your lawn the water bill was a couple hundred a month. We had a drought for a couple years where they put very strict lawn watering restrictions. They had people driving around writing tickets and a rat line. Of course everyone figured out - including me - that you didn't need to water your lawn as much as we were, so the drought ended and everyone remained using much less water. Rather than cut back they just raised everyone's rate.

The whole "raising everyone's water rates" after everyone remained using less water has happened elsewhere as well.

The cost of running a water system is not totally driven by the amount of water used.
I do remember as a kid my mom sent me to the basement to fill out the meter reading. I calculated we got 7 gal for a penny.

When I got my own house in 2002, my water bill was $30, every 3 mos. They went to monthly billing, and it was $30/mo.

Today I’m married with one child, and the bill is $95/mo.

The water co claims they have redone the infrastructure and there’s less radon and lead in the drinking water when compared to 15 years ago

I understand fixed vs variable cost better than most, and in my example there was zero attempt to lower total budget even though variable costs should have dropped. Additionally, it fly's in the face of their ratcheted pricing. If there production costs were mostly fixed, why was there a 1X, 2X and 4X resedential rate based on usage in the first place?

Same thing with Cap Metro in Austin,Tx. Got a train [very costly to operate and maintain] that very few people ride. And they are adding more. Very wasteful

IMO, it's a giant pension fund, that also squanders money with waste a fraud, that happens to also sometime provide a service.
It is worse than that. The unreal income generated by, oh, the GWB (over $1B/yr) and the thousands of other insane charges are funneled into companies who sell back products, such as $40,000 desktop PC's and other "necessary" purchases. Those companies then provide their NY-NJ based key employees and other officials, with staggering levels of wealth.

Note: I drove over the Newburgh-Beacon bridge today and noticed the beams "appear" to be in good shape, until I looked at the outboard side, which are clearly terribly rusty and unmaintained. They don't do the right thing, ever.

There is a reason these are commonplace in Westchester county, NY:
(and it's not because their owners are brilliant industrialists)

affec8c6-4d85-4e6c-8af4-4018ee9928ca-06.jpg

a7689d0bdfc19a38f943b57c2a516272-p_e.jpg

Last edited:
Same thing with Cap Metro in Austin,Tx. Got a train [very costly to operate and maintain] that very few people ride. And they are adding more. Very wasteful
This is also going to be the Purple line near DC. Nobody is going to use that train. If they were smart they would extend the red and green lines farther away from town.

It is worse than that. The unreal income generated by, oh, the GWB (over $1B/yr) and the thousands of other insane charges are funneled into companies who sell back products, such as $40,000 desktop PC's and other "necessary" purchases. Those companies then provide their NY-NJ based key employees and other officials, with staggering levels of wealth.

Note: I drove over the Newburgh-Beacon bridge today and noticed the beams "appear" to be in good shape, until I looked at the outboard side, which are clearly terribly rusty and unmaintained. They don't do the right thing, ever.

There is a reason these are commonplace in Westchester county, NY:
(and it's not because their owners are brilliant industrialists)

affec8c6-4d85-4e6c-8af4-4018ee9928ca-06.jpg

a7689d0bdfc19a38f943b57c2a516272-p_e.jpg
What has always been interesting to me, is how people in NJ cry about 28k annual property taxes on a 3500 sq ft McMansion.

Westchester, makes that look like childs play. 49k on an old 1920s house that would be much smaller. I have a friend who lives in MA and they complain too but their taxes are low. His is like 70k but that same assessment would be lucky if under 250k in Westchester.

I live in PA and I've got zero to complain about lol (though our services are lacking and it's a pecking order--I'm king james compared to a buddy in FL).

Louis Rossman has a few videos on issues with the NTC subway system:

I’d say that’s a little but much. NYC has LOTS of people. Lots to do too. Getting around in your own car is a pain. Doesn’t matter who you are. Taxis and Ubers are stinky. Subway isn’t less stinky, but it’s far cheaper and bypasses the streets. It’s the only way to go. That isn’t new or news…

Government is pretty much a crime gang. I wonder if the Mexican drug cartels have more honor at times.

Back