Concerned about switching to M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having worked at a powersports dealer, the last thing the service manager wants to.encounter is a knowledgeable customer who's read the paperwork that comes with what they purchased.

Originally Posted By: Peted
So many people in this thread, have No idea what they're talking about. Sound as some like to live scared and in fear their whole life..

Getting your oil changed at the dealer in fear of warranty rejection? Really?

When will men be men again. I hope to live to see the day.

The warranty obsession is a bit bizarre to me as well. I changed my oil and kept my receipts, but neither the grade nor the interval were *exactly* what the manufacturer spec'd. Of course, I never had a warranty claim--but I just wasn't that worried. I think the wording in the agreement was in my favor...

In this case though, I'd use the OEM recommendation because it's the best fit for his vehicle, particularly with his driving habits.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: 3xSHO

2012 Buick Regal GS
• dexos 1
• SAE 5W30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle. Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W30, 10W40, or 20W50.
• If in an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below -20°F (-29°C), an SAE 0W30 oil should be used.

2012 Opel / Vauxhall Insignia
• dexos 1
• down to -25 °C SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40
• below -25 °C SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-40

True, there is a difference. But, find me a dexos1 rated 0w-40 or 5w-40, though. For 0w-30 or 5w-30, no problem. When the manual comes out with impossible recommendations, then we have our answer as to why some people don't believe manufacturers' recommendations.

Great point. Only 20 and 30 weights are in the dexos 1 approved list.

I sense leaving 40 weight in the instructions is a legacy of a continent that runs and has availability of primarily 30 and 40 weight oils as opposed to the usage and availability of 20 and 30 weight oils in North America.

Agreed about the 40s being a legacy. My Infiniti's manual has all kinds of orphaned references to other grades and viscosities depending upon ambient temperatures and so forth, yet it calls only for 5w-30 SM/GF-4 or better. Looking at previous years manuals, it's obvious it was just simply some quick cutting, without much input from an editor. Yeesh.

Originally Posted By: JOD
The warranty obsession is a bit bizarre to me as well.

Odds are that the warranty periods are set such that you could run your car on just about ANY motor oil and not have it break within that period.

The issue is that frequently manufacturing defects and/or design flaws are often refused warranty coverage due to side issues such as oil, etc...

However, the real issue is that the manufacturers aren't owning up to their problems, rather than being total sticklers about maintenance.

So many people in this thread, have No idea what they're talking about. Sound as some like to live scared and in fear their whole life..

I've owned my fair share of new vehicles and never had the dealer do an oil change. I think the point some of us are making is its a safe bet to stick to the grade of oil the mfg recommends. Then in the rare event of an issue if a sample is pulled they'll at least know if you used the proper grade oil. Keeping receipts for the oil and filter you used if you DIY is a good idea too.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I've owned my fair share of new vehicles and never had the dealer do an oil change. I think the point some of us are making is its a safe bet to stick to the grade of oil the mfg recommends. Then in the rare event of an issue if a sample is pulled they'll at least know if you used the proper grade oil. Keeping receipts for the oil and filter you used if you DIY is a good idea too.

Exactly. A consumer has to CTA too.
Personally I'd have no problems using m1 0w-40 in anything. One of the best oils on earth however none of my vehicles have a warranty,and if they did I'd want to do whatever I could to maintain it in case there is a failure.

Yes, and the M1 ESP 0w-40 is dexos2, not the dexos1 that the Vauxhall referenced in this thread calls for. If OEMs don't want owners making weird decisions about which oils to run, they shouldn't put weird, self-contradictory blurbs in their manuals. The whole point of dexos (1 and 2) was to simplify things, not make people wonder about oils that don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back