Computer nostalgia - Post your relics!

Even 5 years ago, I was still grabbing the occasional iMac G3 locally in the $20-50 range, or even thrown in free on more than one occasion.

They've really gone up, though, especially for some of the wackier ones like Flower Power(which no one wanted new).

I remember when they were the big thing on the market, and using them at school, but finally getting some of my own dulled the luster a bit for me. The early ones(with a tray loading CD drive) have fragile plastic like a lot of other Macs of that age and are prone to bad flyback transformers. If you want to use them, the tray loaders fall into a weird firmware range that has frustrated collector-users for years. Not to ramble too much, but the older beige Macs(anything with a serial port, internal floppy, and ADB connectivity among other features) used a "big ROM" design that we usually call Old World ROM(OWR). "New World ROM" computers generally have built in USB ports and no legacy ports like serial or ADB, and use a different-much smaller-ROM philosophy. Still, though, the earliest NWR Macs-the iMac G3, the Blue and White G3 tower, and the Lombard PowerBook, are all technically NWR Macs but with some OWR features(the B&W tower has an ADB port, the earliest iMac G3s had a fully functional serial port buried in them for the IRdA unit on the front, plus also had a floppy controller) and a lot of the firmware quirks of OWR Macs. They can be a nightmare when you're trying to go outside the box.

The later slot loading CD drive iMacs(which came in a ton of different colors-the tray loaders were originally Bondi Blue, followed by the "5 Flavors" of grape, tangerine, strawberry, blueberry, and lime) had a lot of upgrades to like. They used largely faster CPUs, most had Firewire for fast external connectivity, held more RAM that was easy to upgrade, could be fitted with WiFi, and also had phenomenal speakers even by todays standards(until they start to rattle). BTW, most slot load iMacs officially support OS X 10.4.11, where the tray loaders top out at 10.2.8, although I generally stick to OS 9 on G3 CPUs. The big issue with the slot loaders was that they had no internal fan, so if used heavily could cook themselves-the heat isn't exactly kind to the flyback either, although I seem to run into fewer issues with them than I do tray loaders.

Can we also mention the ergonomic nightmare that is the original iMac keyboard and mouse? The keyboard isn't terrible, but is rather small for my taste. The mouse is just-bad. I hated them 20 years ago when I was using them in school, and I still hate them as a collector with drawers full of them. I pull one out occasionally thinking it can't be all that bad, but then connect it and remember that yes, in fact, it can be that bad. I only keep them around so that I can have a matching correct puck mouse for display, or to let someone else have the "authentic" experience. At least Aple realized how bad it was themselves when they released the wonderfully ergonomic(still, even in 2023) optical Pro mouse and started shipping it with everything not too long after.

At the end of the day, though, you can definitely tell that they were a budget minded computer. When I use CRTs these days, I almost never use anything but Trinitron or Diamontron aperture grill CRTs, and I can't get around how fuzzy a shadow mask like the iMacs looks no matter what you do to the resolution. I still use OS 9 a lot, but mostly do it on G4s. In particular, on a G4 tower, I can get a lot more RAM, a better graphics card, and a lot more storage(plus options for how to configure it, including relatively easy ways now to put solid state drives in) and it all runs cooler. It's all the experience of an iMac G3, but just faster and and overall better. A set of HK Sound Sticks look right at home and are better still than the iMac G3 speaker. You can even enjoy a modern display, although most GPUs compatible with G3/G4 towers will top out at running 2x 1920x1200 displays, and depending on the card even running a single 1920x1200 may be pushing it. There are a few cards that work in AGP G4s that have dual link DVI and can run two 2560x1440 displays, although those are OS X only cards(and they aren't plug and play in the computer-they need some modification). I should maybe take that back as I'm not sure there are any G4 compatible dual dual-link cards, but you can definitely run one 2560x1440 and a second 1920x1200 on a decent number of cards.
Yes I remember the round mouse. Wasn’t a fan but liked the computer over all, it wasn’t too bad for someone like a kid with small hands but I can imagine a nightmare for an adult trying to use it. I’m impressed about all the information you provided. Thanks. People on eBay are dreamers lol. You should see the prices people want on there.

I wonder what happened to all the old computers that were in my elementary school that shutdown after the 2004-2005 school year, they had a ton of what I think were IBM PS/2 Eduquest systems still in use in various places in the school. I wonder if they got rid of all of them, moved them to another school or the administration building for storage, or if they left them in a store room for the preschool that moved in to deal with.
Yeah, I would have loved to get a Unisys Icon system, a staple of my elementary school education, but I believe the schoolboard had them all destroyed :(

I got the SuSE 6.4 images extracted and onto my FTP server, although I'm now questioning why I chose to upgrade my borked install instead of going in with a clean install. I used FTP because, I need to setup the NFS server again, or dif out my backup from before I upgraded to 22.04, Ubuntu completely changed NFS configuration in 22.04, and I don't really remember how I even got it setup in the first place, so instead of having to relearn setting up NFS, I took the easy way out since my FTP configuration still works.
IMG_20231105_184949135_HDR.jpg

Even in 2009 e-waste recycling was a thing. Did they bother to recover the freon from the AC units before tearing the place down?
Unsure honestly. They may have done that but they didn’t save any of the electronics or desks or anything. As far as I know nothing was saved. I’d be surprised if any of the units had any in them as noisy as they were haha.

1699230741976.jpg

When it was transferring the staroffice rpm (around 55MB), it averaged ~1.6MB/s, I guess that's not too shabby from a Pentium 150, the ethernet card I'm using is a Xircom 10/100 +56k modem card that takes two slots with real ports on the card and no dongle, everything else is gigabit with a MoCA 2.5 adapter in between.

View attachment 186997
When it was transferring the staroffice rpm (around 55MB), it averaged ~1.6MB/s, I guess that's not too shabby from a Pentium 150, the ethernet card I'm using is a Xircom 10/100 +56k modem card that takes two slots with real ports on the card and no dongle, everything else is gigabit with a MoCA 2.5 adapter in between.
I have the 3COM combo card (that has the little dongles) that's 10/100 and 56K.

Even in 2009 e-waste recycling was a thing. Did they bother to recover the freon from the AC units before tearing the place down?

Back in the good old days, e-waste places would often sell computers provided they were wiped and/or had the drives pulled. I don't know if they necessarily would to the general public, but I had a few contacts around who would let me know when they got something interesting and they would usually deal with me, especially if I was buying in bulk(some of which I look back on a amusingly, like the time I bought 20 12" PowerBook G4s, a computer I hate repairing, and ended up skimming a few for my collection, selling some, and spending many frustrating hours disassembling and reassembling some that I finally decided had caused me enough frustration that taking them to the range and shooting them was oddly relieving after pulling what little was worth saving off of them).

The facilities I use to deal with have gotten a lot tighter, unfortunately, and rarely if ever will they sell anything. I use to be able to grab good CRTs when they came in, but those have all but dried up anyway and for space reasons I had to start getting SUPER picky about what I took. It killed me but the last CRT I got a call on was an Apple monochrome 2 page display, a huge 80s high resolution masterpiece and I didn't feel i could take it. I'm equally sorry that I didn't grab one of those when I had a chance off a trash cart at work(I pulled a PowerMac 7100, a PowerMac G3 dekstop, and a nice 14" Trinitron but didn't realize the significance or see the point of the 2 page then-stupid me).

1699298638303.jpg

I did get it working but the out of the box experience did not work, I ultimately had to go get an old version of grub that's a few years newer than the distro, because I guess LILO doesn't like the HDD that's bigger(20GB) than what the BIOS supports(8GB), even though my boot partition is in the first 500MB of the drive even. I had LILO working on it before dual booting Slackware 7.1 and Windows 98, but I don't know what it doesn't like about it now. To boot the system before Grub I modified the boot disk and deleted the kernel and initrd for the installer and put the system kernel on the disk and edited the suslinux config to append root=/dev/hda3 to the kernel. I also took the liberty of compiling the latest 2.2.26 kernel to optimize for size and use march=pentium and I also compiled the last version of pcmcia-cs. Now everything works, I can do useful work like... playing XGalaga.

For some reason my son decided to get a couple of Macbooks, 2005 vintage? one DOA and the other... well it's coaster level, tried to boot with a Linux thumb drive I made, but it's proven so far to be beyond our non-skills (thank you Apple for making it easy). Myself, I found a couple of Acer Aspire One's (not sure what they were aspiring to be) and been trying to figure out which is better, an Atom N270 or N450. Both systems come up but the I think the N450 has a dead battery. Tossed Anti-X onto the other so I can do... something, not sure what, but surfing the web is definitely not one of them. Hoot to hear XP fire up, then funny to see the warning that my system is out of date.

No old stuff otherwise.

Even 5 years ago, I was still grabbing the occasional iMac G3 locally in the $20-50 range, or even thrown in free on more than one occasion.

They've really gone up, though, especially for some of the wackier ones like Flower Power(which no one wanted new).

I remember when they were the big thing on the market, and using them at school, but finally getting some of my own dulled the luster a bit for me. The early ones(with a tray loading CD drive) have fragile plastic like a lot of other Macs of that age and are prone to bad flyback transformers. If you want to use them, the tray loaders fall into a weird firmware range that has frustrated collector-users for years. Not to ramble too much, but the older beige Macs(anything with a serial port, internal floppy, and ADB connectivity among other features) used a "big ROM" design that we usually call Old World ROM(OWR). "New World ROM" computers generally have built in USB ports and no legacy ports like serial or ADB, and use a different-much smaller-ROM philosophy. Still, though, the earliest NWR Macs-the iMac G3, the Blue and White G3 tower, and the Lombard PowerBook, are all technically NWR Macs but with some OWR features(the B&W tower has an ADB port, the earliest iMac G3s had a fully functional serial port buried in them for the IRdA unit on the front, plus also had a floppy controller) and a lot of the firmware quirks of OWR Macs. They can be a nightmare when you're trying to go outside the box.

The later slot loading CD drive iMacs(which came in a ton of different colors-the tray loaders were originally Bondi Blue, followed by the "5 Flavors" of grape, tangerine, strawberry, blueberry, and lime) had a lot of upgrades to like. They used largely faster CPUs, most had Firewire for fast external connectivity, held more RAM that was easy to upgrade, could be fitted with WiFi, and also had phenomenal speakers even by todays standards(until they start to rattle). BTW, most slot load iMacs officially support OS X 10.4.11, where the tray loaders top out at 10.2.8, although I generally stick to OS 9 on G3 CPUs. The big issue with the slot loaders was that they had no internal fan, so if used heavily could cook themselves-the heat isn't exactly kind to the flyback either, although I seem to run into fewer issues with them than I do tray loaders.

Can we also mention the ergonomic nightmare that is the original iMac keyboard and mouse? The keyboard isn't terrible, but is rather small for my taste. The mouse is just-bad. I hated them 20 years ago when I was using them in school, and I still hate them as a collector with drawers full of them. I pull one out occasionally thinking it can't be all that bad, but then connect it and remember that yes, in fact, it can be that bad. I only keep them around so that I can have a matching correct puck mouse for display, or to let someone else have the "authentic" experience. At least Aple realized how bad it was themselves when they released the wonderfully ergonomic(still, even in 2023) optical Pro mouse and started shipping it with everything not too long after.

At the end of the day, though, you can definitely tell that they were a budget minded computer. When I use CRTs these days, I almost never use anything but Trinitron or Diamontron aperture grill CRTs, and I can't get around how fuzzy a shadow mask like the iMacs looks no matter what you do to the resolution. I still use OS 9 a lot, but mostly do it on G4s. In particular, on a G4 tower, I can get a lot more RAM, a better graphics card, and a lot more storage(plus options for how to configure it, including relatively easy ways now to put solid state drives in) and it all runs cooler. It's all the experience of an iMac G3, but just faster and and overall better. A set of HK Sound Sticks look right at home and are better still than the iMac G3 speaker. You can even enjoy a modern display, although most GPUs compatible with G3/G4 towers will top out at running 2x 1920x1200 displays, and depending on the card even running a single 1920x1200 may be pushing it. There are a few cards that work in AGP G4s that have dual link DVI and can run two 2560x1440 displays, although those are OS X only cards(and they aren't plug and play in the computer-they need some modification). I should maybe take that back as I'm not sure there are any G4 compatible dual dual-link cards, but you can definitely run one 2560x1440 and a second 1920x1200 on a decent number of cards.

I don't have great nostalgia for the OG G3 iMacs because I didn't grow up with them, and as consumer models, they didn't have the appeal of the regular Macs I was already entrenched with. (For nostalgia, it would have to be the black Bell & Howells at my school) But they did help save the company, and the translucent design themes were trend setting, if probably a bit too much so (which occurred to me as I stood in the home center and looked at the garden nozzle that was translucent with pastel elements for absolutely no good reason). And I confess to being skeptical about the prospects of the retail stores, despite however desperately they were needed to provide proper retail outlets for the brand at the time.

The iMac's monitor was also a let down, and the era of translucent, then clear keyboards were not Apple's best, especially compared to the mechanical keyboards (not the cheaper AppleDesign model) prior to them. The translucent extended keyboard I think I still have somewhere was mushy, and worse, got sticky like a movie theater floor after it aged. But the oblong clear mouse was decent.

The MultipleScan 17" monitor I (fortunately) opted for over the fancier 1710AV did live a good normal life, but eventually succumbed to a typical fault, to be replaced by a Samsung 700NF, which had a truly flat screen, and with the expiration of Sony's patent, aperature grille as well.

Apple's CRT monitors were nice when they worked, but reliability was middling. The 1710 model proved to be problematic, and a CRT Studio display I had went out with a sudden snap/crack/pop. The clear 17" that proved to be their last CRT model was neat to look at, but had issues as well.

We had Radius Pivots at work, both color and monochrome, but the larger 20" models from them and SuperMac were the ones worthy of envy.

The 27" 5K I'm staring at right now will make it hard to accept anything less, so it's a shame its fate is tied to the computer that it will probably outlast.

I just threw a box of ISA, PCI, and EISA cards away. NICs, sound cards, Adaptec 2940s. They are all completely useless now.
Yeah, I cleared some relics recently: serial converters, gender changers, null modems, ribbon cables, etc.. Those were all essential tools back in the day.

The other day a few words popped into my head: "xgmoden, "y-modem", and "kermit".

I don't have great nostalgia for the OG G3 iMacs because I didn't grow up with them, and as consumer models, they didn't have the appeal of the regular Macs I was already entrenched with. (For nostalgia, it would have to be the black Bell & Howells at my school) But they did help save the company, and the translucent design themes were trend setting, if probably a bit too much so (which occurred to me as I stood in the home center and looked at the garden nozzle that was translucent with pastel elements for absolutely no good reason). And I confess to being skeptical about the prospects of the retail stores, despite however desperately they were needed to provide proper retail outlets for the brand at the time.

The iMac's monitor was also a let down, and the era of translucent, then clear keyboards were not Apple's best, especially compared to the mechanical keyboards (not the cheaper AppleDesign model) prior to them. The translucent extended keyboard I think I still have somewhere was mushy, and worse, got sticky like a movie theater floor after it aged. But the oblong clear mouse was decent.

The MultipleScan 17" monitor I (fortunately) opted for over the fancier 1710AV did live a good normal life, but eventually succumbed to a typical fault, to be replaced by a Samsung 700NF, which had a truly flat screen, and with the expiration of Sony's patent, aperature grille as well.

Apple's CRT monitors were nice when they worked, but reliability was middling. The 1710 model proved to be problematic, and a CRT Studio display I had went out with a sudden snap/crack/pop. The clear 17" that proved to be their last CRT model was neat to look at, but had issues as well.

We had Radius Pivots at work, both color and monochrome, but the larger 20" models from them and SuperMac were the ones worthy of envy.

The 27" 5K I'm staring at right now will make it hard to accept anything less, so it's a shame its fate is tied to the computer that it will probably outlast.

I had an interest in computer from a pretty young age, and growing up my dad always had PCs and I would get his hand-me-downs. My dad did a stint in IT for state government back in the 80s and then again in the early 2000s, and he still talks about the 1gb or so drive they had for their WANG that was the size of a washing machine. As a side note, those WANGs were looking pretty ragged back in the early 2000s and I'm pretty sure had been upgraded to the max, but if I'm remembering correctly they lasted until around 2008 or so when they finally brought a new system online. I can remember riding with him down to Nashville one evening again around 2000 or so to meet someone from the company that serviced their WANG to swap a board(which they would take and rework) and my dad to bring it back to get it going the next day. I quickly learned at school NOT to say that I'd ridden with my dad to have his WANG fixed in Nashville :)

As a fun little sidenote, here's my dad hard at work back in the 80s with an audience-I like showing this photo as I knew all of the people in this photo(even though it was taken before I was born) and unfortunately two are now gone.

doug ken charlene.jpg

In any case, I mentioned all of that to say that, my dad's WANG work aside, I grew up in a PC house. My dad bought a Tandy 1000 back in the 80s, then upgraded every few years. Almost as soon as I was big enough to know what I was doing, I learned how to boot that Tandy with games(on a 5 1/4 floppy that it would boot off of, not unlike how a lot of Apple II programs worked, although that computer also had a HardCard). I later graduated to his 386, which I do still have around somewhere, and a few others after that. BTW, the Tandy disappeared along the way(long story there, but I was sorry to see it go). A few years ago, pre-pandemic and pre-move for me, I was able to get another 1000a similar in spec but a little newer than my dad's. It had a 30mb HardCard, just like his, but also had a 3 1/2" drive(my dad's was 2x 5 1/4"). Mine actually didn't have a 5 1/4 when I got it, but I had picked up an NOS one along the way. I was able to get my hands on a keyboard for it-one of the first obstacles(or rather the guy who I'd bought it from found the keyboard) but I stalled out on a monitor. I didn't spend a ton of time working on this, but I also didn't have a lot of luck finding an ISA VGA video card that would work in it-not that I tried hard, but really was just going through ones I had stashed back. I hunted a few times for a genuine Tandy monitor, but couldn't find one within driving distance and some other then-recent experience shipping CRTs and getting them with the alignment completely out of whack soured me on it-one of these days hopefully I'll get it going.

To your Mac comments, though:

My first real Mac experience was with the G3s in my high school's computer lab. I think Apple must have pumped those almost for free into school districts everywhere judging by the number of people I talk to whose schools had similar labs. I HATED the things. Not only did I not know how anything worked on them(although I'm sure I could have figured it out given unfettered access-that's how I learned most of OS 9 later on in life) but they were super un-reliable and loved to randomly shut off. It probably didn't help that about half were fanless slot loaders, and the computer lab was usually about 80º. Of course too it was pounded into us to constantly save, and given that I didn't know Macs then, I was constantly having to grab that awful mouse to go up and click save and would have never thought to do command+s as I habitually do on everything now.

My school also had a Molar Mac(G3 All-in-one) in the library that was just a card catalog. I thought it was the weirdest computer I'd ever looked at then, but it was an exciting day back in the 2010s when I was able to buy one. They're interesting computers, and definitely a step up in quality and capability over the iMac(despite being huge).

Apple's early 2000s aesthetic really was kind of over the top. I rarely use OS X earlier than Tiger(10.4.11) where they'd toned down the pinstriping a lot. The 10.0-10.2 pinstriping really was over the top IMO, but if you were using it on an iMac G3 or one of the other period Apple displays the pinstriping did kind of blend into the bezels.

I admit to not having a ton of experience with 90s and earlier Apple displays, and tend to use VGA dongles with low-res LCDs when I use them. I know I've had some duds in them, even when the tube itself was relatively high quality. There was a super nice 13" Trinitron(model escapes me) that was often paired with Quadras and IICs, and I do have a few of those.

I think my favorite has to be the 17" ADC CRT. It's such a great match for a computer like the Cube, and is a really high quality tube. It's a true-flat Diamontron, but I honestly think at that point in CRT production, looking at multiple examples side-by-side, that Mitsubishi was making better tubes than Sony. Some would call that heresy, but I stand by it(even though the Trinitron name has the cachet). I also love how minimalist and "clean" using ADC makes a system like that.

I have a 5K iMac as well-it's gorgeous...

Yeah, I cleared some relics recently: serial converters, gender changers, null modems, ribbon cables, etc.. Those were all essential tools back in the day.

The other day a few words popped into my head: "xgmoden, "y-modem", and "kermit".
Digging through a box, I found a white USR 56K external serial fax modem, complete with the cable (25->9 pin). Remember null modem cables? You could transfer files at incredibly slow rates! Do you remember the name of that computer cloning software that worked over null modem?

As a company, we just updated from a server/terminal system for our MRP system. The server has a tape cassette drive, no LAN. Best guess is that it was 25 years old.

Updated to new HPE server with repurposed desktops/laptops at each user point. Ran a separate network for these stations as the server is normally offline.

Personally, I still play Burnout Championship Drag Racing, a game that came out in the mid/late 90s.

Now instead of taxing a computer, I literally play it off of a flash drive. There was a website that offered old games as packaged filters with a Dosbox emulator, plays better than I remember way back when.

Digging through a box, I found a white USR 56K external serial fax modem, complete with the cable (25->9 pin). Remember null modem cables? You could transfer files at incredibly slow rates! Do you remember the name of that computer cloning software that worked over null modem?
the only thing I could remember was LapLink software.. is that what you're thinking of? and yup I remember null modem cables, never used them but loved the idea.. then better networking came, forgot all about null modem cables.. funny how I was always wanting the future and forgetting the present.. lol

Laplink was one of them.

Back