Not open for further replies.
Black-Stoned

Moly 368

Ph. 782

Zinc 916

Calcium 2805

Boron 65

Last edited:
Sorry, This was the Crane addative, mod,please change original subject.

1yppxu.jpg

look like Lab errors?

Last edited:
Wow, that's sad. Either Crane error or lab error. Don't know who I'd check with first...I guess Blackstone since they won't be defensive about it.

This was the Crane Super Lube break In lubricant for cam's and lifters to be added to engine oil, not the assembly lube.

99003-1 Crane Cams Super Lube Break-In Concentrate (8 oz. bottle) is an anti-wear additive formulated with a high concentration of special zinc dithiophosphate to provide sustained protection against cam lobe and lifter scuffing and wear. This oil supplement is to be added to the engine oil for the initial break-in period after the installation of a new camshaft and
lifters.

Yes, Gear oil Grade

99003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Blackstone messed up another one.

Otherwise, this stuff is no better than regular motor oil

It would almost be worse. One bottle (either 8 or 16 oz, I can't tell) is mixed with 5-6 quarts of oil. That means the values of zinc, moly, phosphorous, and boron would be divided by 5 or 6.

I think a standard 15w-40 diesel oil would be better.

If this stuff is supposed to fortify engine oil(which I believe is the intended idea) it should be loaded with probably 4-5x the amount of zinc, moly, phosphorous that it contains. Zinc and Phosphorous were common wear reducing additives when flat tappet cams were the norm. Recently these were deemed unnecessary due to advances in modern oil formulation so the levels have dropped. They have also been found to damage emission equipment in long term use.

Some people feel these reductions in modern oil will lead to increased wear in older engines and that brought about additives like SLOB and VSOT to boost the level back to where they onece were. (even higher in some cases)
This sample just looks like regular engine oil (and not a great one)

Originally Posted By: Loobed
It would almost be worse. One bottle (either 8 or 16 oz, I can't tell) is mixed with 5-6 quarts of oil. That means the values of zinc, moly, phosphorous, and boron would be divided by 5 or 6.
That's not how it goes. The additives here have levels similar to motor oil, so mixing it with motor oil does not significantly change the concentrations of what we are seeing in the VOA.

If that makes no sense, think of it this way. You make two glasses of chocolate milk of same concentration but of different sizes. If you mix them, the concentration stays the same.

Sorry about all the confusion, this was my analysis. It is 12oz Comp Cams Break-In Lube Part #159. After looking at the results I've emailed Comp Cams, and Blackstone. Waiting on a reply, I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
I've been telling you guys this "ZDDP", "flat tappet", etc hype is, at least partially, cover for bad metallurgy on the cam manufacturers (plural) part.

I don't follow that line of reasoning. Many of the problems that have been reported are from engines that have been in use for a number of years with no problems, and now we're hearing/seeing problems and the only change is the oil rating.
54.gif

Well I emailed comp cams, they were very unhelpful. He said the numbers didn't sound right, and asked me to send in some of the lube. I said I would if they would reimburse me for the shipping and lube. He responded saying he would use what was in-house, but wouldn't send me an analysis. Anyways Blackstone was happy to re-run it, but they had already discarded the lube. So I sent some more in, and they results are as follows.....

Moly 423
Boron 72
Silicon 5
Sodium 2
Calcium 2805
Magnesium 7
Phos 876
Zinc 722

SUS visc @ 210F 103.2
Cst visc @ 100C 21.11
Flashpoint in F 490
Insoluble% 0.1