Commercial Pilots and Alcohol limits.

Most Americans raised on Hersey and Milky Way would have no idea there is even such a thing as liquor filled chocolates.
Costco used to sell an amazing set of milk chocolate mini bottles with some type of alcohol in them. I doubt it was very strong, so I'm sure you'd have to eat a lot of them to hit even .02.

Should give those out to fussy kids on the plane with a shot of benadryl, everyone's flight would be so much better.

Doubt that. I recently got tested and blew 0.005%, the lowest the device could register. Strange as I hadn't touched any alcohol in months. Got to try again and blew a 0.000 as it should have been. No mouthwash or filled chocolates either. 0.005% wouldn't have caused me any problems I hope (0.02% would have, 0.05 being the legal limit) but it shows you can't get too focused on the exact number.

My point is, you need to allow for some tolerance. I do wonder what was in that ham sandwich I was eating while waiting to be tested... My wife made the sandwich but was the bread or ham contaminated from previous desinfection of equipment?

All bread made with yeast has a certain amount of alcohol. It’s unavoidable since yeast converts sugars into alcohol and CO2. Most but not all will evaporate during baking. It should be negligible though. But perhaps enough to show up on a BAC test.

Not too many years ago pilots would be “fueling up” in an airport bar before a flight. Seen it many times. I’m glad things change….

First of all he was coming from Scotland and his first mistake was having 2 bottles of Jagermeister in his luggage. My Lord man, you needed to bring some good single malt scotch whisky. But don't drink it until you get back home.

Not possible. As the saying goes, there are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old bold pilots. ;)
There are plenty of pilots from the 1960s who are still with us.

But I don’t think they would be willing to dignify this post with a response.

There are just so many things wrong with your strawman.

First, at duty-free, your item is sealed, and you are not allowed to touch it, or consume it, until you arrive in your destination country.

Many duty-free shops will not allow you to even carry it to your airplane, it is delivered to you on board.

Second, airline pilots are not “most Americans” and we are well aware of what is sold in duty-free.

Third, you can get liquor filled chocolates in the United States.

Fourth, when you’re in a safety sensitive job, and you can be breathalyzed at any moment, without warning, you’re actually quite careful about what you eat and drink and when.

Lastly, and I made this point earlier, it doesn’t matter how you got the alcohol, if you have alcohol in your system, and you are on the property of an airport, you have committed a felony.

Airport police in the UK take great delight in harassing flight crews during the security process and I am certain they were ecstatic when making this arrest. Every airline pilot knows this. We know what UK security is like.

So, the smart ones don’t take chances.
Hi Astro.
Being a Brit, i find your last couple of sentences to be embarrassing. Is it UK Police that are the problem or the private security mob that does the luggage scans etc?

First of all he was coming from Scotland and his first mistake was having 2 bottles of Jagermeister in his luggage. My Lord man, you needed to bring some good single malt scotch whisky. But don't drink it until you get back home.
I’ve brought back many bottles of single malt from Scotland. Edinburg is one of my favorite layovers.

But, to avoid the headaches of UK security, I buy at the duty free.

They seal the bag when I buy anything. I cannot, legally, unseal the bag, until back in the US.

If you buy alcohol in the country, you have to check the bag. I’ve done this with Gin in London. Buy the small-batch Gin, put it in my bag, check the bag with customer service outside security. Pick it up at baggage claim when I land at home.

I don’t know the “two bottles of Jäegermeister” got through the X-ray machine or security. I would have thought they would be confiscated at that point. UK security is famously difficult. Not effective. Just difficult.

UK security once removed every single item from my bag and re-ran the empty bag through x-ray over and over because of “something suspicious”. The security officer then started tearing into the lining. He produced an errant chapstick, that I had lost long ago. He held it up and said, “Ah HA! Contraband!” “You should know better than this, Sir, you should have placed this in your one quart plastic bag!”

I replied that a chapstick is wax, and therefor not subject to liquid and gel restrictions and that I had lost it, not hid it. He threw it in his “contraband” bin with great ceremony and then proceeded to berate me for not repacking my bag more quickly.

I took a step back, and invited him to repack it himself, since he had dumped everything out of it, if he was unhappy with the care I was giving to my personal effects.

That, folks, is UK security. When you walk in, they place themselves about 4 inches (10CM if you’re in the UK) from your face to “smell” your breath. They don’t answer questions. They bark orders. They are rude, unhelpful, and known the worldwide among airline crews. A great many crews avoid the UK because of the treatment at UK security, so, no, I don’t believe that the “two bottle of Jaegermeister” slipped through UK security.

I have a suspicion that the two bottles of Jager were bought at Duty Free - and as such, not relevant to the story.

They are merely a salacious detail added by the press to cast aspersions on this pilot.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I’ve brought back many bottles of single malt from Scotland. Edinburg is one of my favorite layovers.

But, to avoid the headaches of UK security, I buy at the duty free.

They seal the bag when I buy anything. I cannot, legally, unseal the bag, until back in the US.

If you buy alcohol in the country, you have to check the bag. I’ve done this with Gin in London. Buy the small-batch Gin, put it in my bag, check the bag with customer service outside security. Pick it up at baggage claim when I land at home.

I don’t know the “two bottles of Jäegermeister” got through the X-ray machine or security. I would have thought they would be confiscated at that point. UK security is famously difficult. Not effective. Just difficult.

UK security once removed every single item from my bag and re-ran the empty bag through x-ray over and over because of “something suspicious”. The security officer then started tearing into the lining. He produced an errant chapstick, that I had lost long ago. He held it up and said, “Ah HA! Contraband!” “You should know better than this, Sir, you should have placed this in your one quart plastic bag!”

I replied that a chapstick is wax, and therefor not subject to liquid and gel restrictions and that I had lost it, not hid it. He threw it in his “contraband” bin with great ceremony and then proceeded to berate me for not repacking my bag more quickly.

I took a step back, and invited him to repack it himself, since he had dumped everything out of it, if he was unhappy with the care I was giving to my personal effects.

That, folks, is UK security. When you walk in, they place themselves about 4 inches (10CM if you’re in the UK) from your face to “smell” your breath. They don’t answer questions. They bark orders. They are rude, unhelpful, and known the worldwide among airline crews. A great many crews avoid the UK because of the treatment at UK security, so, no, I don’t believe that the “two bottle of Jaegermeister” slipped through UK security.

I have a suspicion that the two bottles of Jager were bought at Duty Free - and as such, not relevant to the story.

They are merely a salacious detail added by the press to cast aspersions on this pilot.
LHR is my least favorite major airport + if I’m there - I’m flying my least favorite international airline …
Good news is I’ll be coming home on UA from AMS to IAH … 👌🏼

The human body produces a few grams of ethanol through fermentation in the intestinal teact every day. There are people who produce sufficient amounts of ethanol to get drunk because they suffer from auto brewery syndrome. They are treated with modified diets and, if necessary, with antifungal.medications that limit the fermentation rate in the intestine. It's an extremely rare condition.

Hi Astro.
Being a Brit, i find your last couple of sentences to be embarrassing. Is it UK Police that are the problem or the private security mob that does the luggage scans etc?
@Tikka - My story above is one of many. I don’t know which authority owns airport security but their behaviour is famous among flight crews. They make every other airport security agency in the world look warm, caring, and customer focused by comparison.

I know guys that will skip brushing their teeth and have a morning coffee in the van on their way to Heathrow just so to enjoy that moment when airport security gets in their face with the obnoxious questioning and sniffing.

When we are scheduled, our company allows/plans 5 minutes to get through New York security, but allow/plan 30 minutes to get through Heathrow. Not the drive time. That’s another problem in London. I mean the time from the curb to get through security.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows how bad they treat crews.

As if crews were the security problem in the UK to begin with…

All bread made with yeast has a certain amount of alcohol. It’s unavoidable since yeast converts sugars into alcohol and CO2. Most but not all will evaporate during baking. It should be negligible though. But perhaps enough to show up on a BAC test.

That could be it, I finished eating seconds before the test

@Tikka - My story above is one of many. I don’t know which authority owns airport security but their behaviour is famous among flight crews. They make every other airport security agency in the world look warm, caring, and customer focused by comparison.

I know guys that will skip brushing their teeth and have a morning coffee in the van on their way to Heathrow just so to enjoy that moment when airport security gets in their face with the obnoxious questioning and sniffing.

When we are scheduled, our company allows/plans 5 minutes to get through New York security, but allow/plan 30 minutes to get through Heathrow. Not the drive time. That’s another problem in London. I mean the time from the curb to get through security.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows how bad they treat crews.

As if crews were the security problem in the UK to begin with…

I will avoid LHR if I go WB, I don’t have the personality to put up with that stuff.

I can understand the tight security ( they were like this prior to 911 because of the IRA ) , but not the power tripping rudeness.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that many airport workers aren't allowed to consume alcohol before duty. I've had alcohol at lunch and never had an issue with my employer, but I never got back to the office intoxicated. I also don't work in any kind of safety sensitive job.

I heard about this with a report in our local newspaper about someone who got tested at SFO. It applies to anyone with an airport ID badge.

(1) Prohibited Substances: No Airport ID badge holder may transport into the Restricted Area any alcohol or any drug identified by the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) as a “Schedule I” drug, nor may any individual with an Airport ID badge ingest alcohol or a Schedule I drug eight or fewer hours before work or while at work, including breaks. Schedule I drugs are: heroin, LSD, marijuana, ecstasy, methaqualone, and peyote. See https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml.​

The FAA requirements also apply to flight attendants.

It's my understanding that many airport workers aren't allowed to consume alcohol before duty. I've had alcohol at lunch and never had an issue with my employer, but I never got back to the office intoxicated. I also don't work in any kind of safety sensitive job.

I heard about this with a report in our local newspaper about someone who got tested at SFO. It applies to anyone with an airport ID badge.

(1) Prohibited Substances: No Airport ID badge holder may transport into the Restricted Area any alcohol or any drug identified by the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) as a “Schedule I” drug, nor may any individual with an Airport ID badge ingest alcohol or a Schedule I drug eight or fewer hours before work or while at work, including breaks. Schedule I drugs are: heroin, LSD, marijuana, ecstasy, methaqualone, and peyote. See https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml.​

The FAA requirements also apply to flight attendants.
Yes, federal law still applies for those in the transportation industry.

Many airlines had to fire a whole bunch of their employees in Colorado, for example, when those employees tested positive for marijuana after Colorado enacted their law.

Airlines are very careful to explain to employees that while controlled substances like marijuana may be legal to consume in the state of Colorado, federal law applies to their job, that they can be tested at any time, and testing positive for marijuana will result in immediate termination.

I’m not aware of any pilots who were in this position, but certainly it applied to many ramp workers, as well as flight attendants.

Back