Comcast internet data usage report seems way too low

If

If you don't use their modem and have any issues at all they will blame whatever modem you own. Yes- for the average lay person you are forced to rent their modem.
You have to fight them, though even if you rent and have issues they’ll blame the wiring in the house. They didn’t really like when I said I ran a new cable from the demarcation box to the modem so my wiring can’t be a problem… I really didn’t, but I knew my cable wasn’t the problem because I plugged the friggin modem right into the cable coming from the pole and still had issues 😉

I
You have to fight them, though even if you rent and have issues they’ll blame the wiring in the house. They didn’t really like when I said I ran a new cable from the demarcation box to the modem so my wiring can’t be a problem… I really didn’t, but I knew my cable wasn’t the problem because I plugged the friggin modem right into the cable coming from the pole and still had issues 😉
They are a monopoly in my area. I use their equipment. I pay the price. If there is an issue they send me a new modem. It's happened twice.

If

If you don't use their modem and have any issues at all they will blame whatever modem you own. Yes- for the average lay person you are forced to rent their modem.
Well they have an approved list of models. The church camp bought one and it worked fine. We were planning on buying a second as a spare. Then we we signed a new contract and the new contract required to rent a modem from them.

The contract provides a significant savings over the monthly rate. But its much higher for the church camp than it would be for an individual and much higher than it would be for Verizon FIOS.

I was talking to one of the Comcast sales people who called me to review the account and as soon as he realized I was not going to upgrade the speed for a higher priced contract he became rude and got off the phone quickly. Why waste time talking to me if I wasn't going for a more expensive contract.

Well they have an approved list of models. The church camp bought one and it worked fine. We were planning on buying a second as a spare. Then we we signed a new contract and the new contract required to rent a modem from them.

The contract provides a significant savings over the monthly rate. But its much higher for the church camp than it would be for an individual and much higher than it would be for Verizon FIOS.

I was talking to one of the Comcast sales people who called me to review the account and as soon as he realized I was not going to upgrade the speed for a higher priced contract he became rude and got off the phone quickly. Why waste time talking to me if I wasn't going for a more expensive contract.
They have a list of models that are compatible with their system - yes. That still doesn't dissolve them from blaming your equipment.

So it's reporting a total 12 GB for February 2023. There is no chance that I only went through 12 GB. Zero. I've got Disney+, Paramount+, and Peacock as well as using just standard updates and other stuff. It's not something that I'd call customer service over, but it just seems weird.

So it's reporting a total 12 GB for February 2023. There is no chance that I only went through 12 GB. Zero. I've got Disney+, Paramount+, and Peacock as well as using just standard updates and other stuff. It's not something that I'd call customer service over, but it just seems weird.
Abuse it till they fix it!

Mine is still correct though… 2,466Gb used in February, 271Gb currently used for March.

Abuse it till they fix it!

Mine is still correct though… 2,466Gb used in February, 271Gb currently used for March.

They do have a disclaimer that it may not be accurate (you think?). Not sure that this might be reported inaccurately, but there's some other database that is accurate. But here's what I've got in table form:

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 10.38.58 AM.jpg

I think the drop from September to October is accurate since my family went visiting relatives for a few weeks. But then it drops like a rock.

yes I'd say something is definitely wrong with that data monitor! Hey at least it's counting lower NOT higher.. for once, something in your favor!

Found this thread after doing a bunch of googling on decreased data usage with Comcast! I have a really similar situation that I can't figure out and it's funny that the dates are also pretty similar. Since 2019, we have been using over 1TB/mo. with Comcast and have had to pay for unlimited since 2020. But last September the usage started dropping and we're now 200ish GB/mo. Nothing has changed in our house. FWIW, I found someone on the Comcast.com support forums that also had a similar issue with the same time frame, no solution found there either.

I've dropped my unlimited data and we'll see what happens now!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.53.16 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 11.53.16 AM.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
Almost the end of the month, and it's now reporting a massive 14 GB for March 2023 when it was reporting 12 GB a few days ago. Even after doing two full updates of Apple devices where the files are more than 5 GB each.

Final reported tally for March 2023 was 15 GB. I’m more amused than anything else since I’m sure my actual use is in the hundreds of GB just from streaming services. I don't think think there’s a discount for low usage.

Never had a cap with Spectrum in South Carolina and I don’t have cap with my local fiber provider in North Carolina.
Only one I ever knew to have a cap was ATT until this thread
I'd keep a close eye, as Spectrum may add back caps in the near future, they only removed the caps because they were required to do so for 7 years by the FCC and DOJ in order to complete the merger.

I can’t comment on your question but i would like to know why you have a data cap. I have never seen any provider near me in the last 15 years have any data cap. Is having a data cap cheaper?
Where Comcast has no high speed competition they have data caps. I am in one of those markets.

I'd keep a close eye, as Spectrum may add back caps in the near future, they only removed the caps because they were required to do so for 7 years by the FCC and DOJ in order to complete the merger.
Im done with Spectrum, just moved to the Carolina Coast and have fiber @ $57 a month total payment. What I think will keep a "cap" on the landline providers is the 5g wireless networks from T-Mobile, Verizon, soon to be ATT and Dish Network.
Right now you really have to be close to a tower for good 5g and excellent 5g up to 700 Mbps but its in it infancy and one day entire areas are going to be blanketed with 5 g antennas on top of power poles, light poles ect

Landline internet will be as popular as landline telephones in the future.

I’ve mentioned that there’s plenty of competition around here. AT&T and Sonic are the big competitors. But Comcast had a big lead.
There are a couple of other providers. One is SAT and the other is over twin copper lines. The speeds are VERY SLOW. Comcast is the only high speed provider.

So far it says 10 GB for May 2023. And I updated my iPhone and iPad last week where I verified that the downloaded packages are more than 5 and 6 GB.

Back