colt python

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from West Michigan,

I saw a few blued in 6 inch and 1 in stainless (really stainless?)

The gentleman at the counter said they have very good triggers.

I want to shoot few times a year and just to have one ;-).

Should I go for a pristine one? Or one with few dings and wear? Price diff is about $500

What matters is how the cylinder locks up and aligns/spaces with the barrel bore, the condition of the barrel and forcing cone and the trigger mechanism. If all those are in great shape, a few surface dings or marks on the cylinder are really not of any account inless you are a collector. BUT...do you have enough knowledge to judge the above in a used revolver? If not, take someone along who does before you buy.

I agree with Boomer. Pythons are such cool, iconic guns and sweet shooters that you'll probably want to shoot it more, as opposed to less. A less than mint one is more affordable and more usable.

I've got a 6" stainless Python and wow what a smooth shooter. $500 is a lot to save if the gun is still a good shooter and only has some cosmetic issues. However - these are aruguably very collectible so paying more for the one in the best condition just might be the right way to go. You sure WON'T lose money on it!

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: stockrex

I've got a Colt King Cobra in stainless. Bought it new in late 80s ... one of my favorite revolvers. 357 mag, with 4" barrel.

Should I go for a pristine one? Or one with few dings and wear? Price diff is about $500

The difference is $500 ... wow. How much are they asking for these things?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Boomer
What matters is how the cylinder locks up and aligns/spaces with the barrel bore, the condition of the barrel and forcing cone and the trigger mechanism. If all those are in great shape, a few surface dings or marks on the cylinder are really not of any account inless you are a collector. BUT...do you have enough knowledge to judge the above in a used revolver? If not, take someone along who does before you buy.

good points, I don't never had a hand gun let alone a revolver [just bought a few].
the guys at the store are nice to share information and educate, I will have to go there on a day they are not busy.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've got a 6" stainless Python and wow what a smooth shooter. $500 is a lot to save if the gun is still a good shooter and only has some cosmetic issues. However - these are aruguably very collectible so paying more for the one in the best condition just might be the right way to go. You sure WON'T lose money on it!

Enjoy!

GMBoy and drfeelgood, that is what I was thinking too, little dinged up but I won't feel to take out to shoot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I've got a Colt King Cobra in stainless. Bought it new in late 80s ... one of my favorite revolvers. 357 mag, with 4" barrel.

The difference is $500 ... wow. How much are they asking for these things?
shocked.gif

The gentleman at the counter was not sure if it was stainless or nickel, he is going to find out.
price ranges from $1k to $2k, nickel/stainless being $2k

hmm, I might have to pick a pair, just so they can send the extra (multiple handgun) purchase form to the justice depart and local leo, lol.

The gentleman at the counter was not sure if it was stainless or nickel, he is going to find out.

Nickle palatted will be very shiny, like chrome.

Stainless will not be that bright.

price ranges from $1k to $2k, nickel/stainless being $2k

Wow ... didn't know they could be that much. Wonder what my King Cobra is worth ... I think I paid $280 new for it in the late 1980s.

Greetings from West Michigan,

The gentleman at the counter said they have very good triggers.

I want to shoot few times a year and just to have one ;-).

Get the best condition one you can find. You will pay more now, but in 20-50 years it is going to wortha whole lot more.

Here is my Stainless:

guns003c.jpg

Yes. The triggers are insanely good. Smooth steady action to the fine and crisp end.

the boxed revolvers, nickel and blued, both were gone, the worn one was there but it was little worn and with a little movement in the wheel (worn metal), I walked away and will wait for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back