Coleman Powermate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to run a HDEO like Rotella T6 5w40 in flathead engine generators like that. Those engines run pretty hot, and for long periods of time. The HDEO helps cut down on the oil consumption.

I have a 1988 Coleman with an 8hp flathead Briggs. It works pretty well, it's just a bit loud.

We woke up to the first snow here in 9 years. Power went out and I'm currently keeping the house warm, cooking breakfast and running the directv and modem on a 7500/9375 watt gravely with a honda gx390 running rotella t6 5w40.

I have used the Amsoil 10w30 Small engine formula for years with very good results.
In fact, I ran it exclusively in a 10hp Tecumseh that was on a garden tractor. Had it 10 years, traded it to my friend and it still runs well and doesnt seem to use any oil.
I would avoid 5w30 in a generator in Texas.
A HDEO in 10w30, 15w40 or 5w40 would work as well, along with SAE30.

2009Edge, be sure to check the oil level every time you fill up the gas tank, and change the oil every 50 hours of use. I know 50 hours does not seem like a long run on the oil but you have to realize that these generators run at 3600 RPMs continuously regardless of load.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these generators get somewhere from 5 to nine hours per tank full of gas (assuming yours has a 5 gallon tank). The number of hours you get depends on the load. Very lightly loaded you might get 9 hours per tank of gas. Heavily loaded you will probably be lucky to get 5 hours per tank of gas.

So one of the things you have to keep in mind is how many gallons of gasoline are you going to keep on hand. And you will want to treat the gasoline with Sta-Bil gas treatment so it stays good when stored.

Last edited:
This guy said he ran it 4 days, and changed the oil every 24 hours. I strongly suspect he used 5W-30 conventional oil.

During hot weather, that engine will not survive extended use on conventional 5W-30. You would do well to use M1, 15W-50.

Right out of the box my Coleman with a Subaru engine ran for 3 days with the oil that came with the gen and performed great. 11 years later still does.

Classic sign of running an engine with no oil. Guy didn't check the oil at every fuel fill up, and paid the price. His negligence killed the engine.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Classic sign of running an engine with no oil. Guy didn't check the oil at every fuel fill up, and paid the price. His negligence killed the engine.

You might think so, but these engines were known failure items here after the South Florida hurricanes. Even when full. Oil temps climbed into the 300 degree range and lubrication failed.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

You might think so, but these engines were known failure items here after the South Florida hurricanes. Even when full. Oil temps climbed into the 300 degree range and lubrication failed.

In hot ambient temperatures 10W-30 thins out too much. This is why 15W-50 is the best oil for areas with hot ambient temperatures like above 100 F in Texas.

If the engines were water cooled like a car engine then 10W-30 would be OK. But air cooled engines in hot ambient temperatures get the oil too hot and 10W-30 thins out too much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: Cujet

In hot ambient temperatures 10W-30 thins out too much. This is why 15W-50 is the best oil for areas with hot ambient temperatures like above 100 F in Texas.

If the engines were water cooled like a car engine then 10W-30 would be OK. But air cooled engines in hot ambient temperatures get the oil too hot and 10W-30 thins out too much.

For the last 50 years I haven't seen this and it gets hot here in Illinois. Hotter than Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back