"Cold snap" hits Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
20F is decent WITHOUT WIND. With wind, it is awful.
Next time I'm freezing and cursing the winter, I'll just remember that this particular summer is/will have been the worst summer of my life with regard to insect bites, particularly aggressive mosquitos. I'm a big pathetic itchy bundle of bites right now.
confused.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
10c is t-shirt weather!
Yeah, all right, OK captain Talvisota
happy2.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Right now, it is +10C (+50F) in Brisbane where my Cousin lives.

And falling...more like +6C (+43F) now and just inland at Ipswich it's +2C (+35F)

That's pretty cold even compared to NZ, -7 is considered a very cold morning in snow country like Queenstown. It gets down to -3 here, only once down to -4 - cold weather for an Auckland boy. But we still got frosts there - I remember walking to school barefoot as a kid and leaving green tracks in the grass...breaking the crust on a cow pat and feeling the delicious heat.

That weather will come across the Tasman to us soon, it changes as it does, sometimes getting better, sometimes worse.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I like the continuous cold temperatures of the Michigan winters, and the mild summers. It gets below freezing in late December and normally stays there for 2 months. So if we get snow, we shovel out, then we're living in a winter wonderland for a couple of months. I hate hot, humid weather.

There we differ.
I do enjoy the change in seasons and the first snow of the year is always nice to see and even fun to drive in. The first below zero morning is something to marvel at.
After that, I'm done.
The problem I have with winter is that it drags on too long.
One month of cold and winter precip would be great. The problem is that you then face an additional two.
A vacation somewhere warm does help, but the only real antidote is the end of February and the blooming of the first spring flowers. Everything gets better after that although we have sometimes had heavy snows in March.
Whenever anyone complains about the hot, humid summers we have here, I always tell them that it beats the [censored] out of January.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I like the continuous cold temperatures of the Michigan winters, and the mild summers. It gets below freezing in late December and normally stays there for 2 months. So if we get snow, we shovel out, then we're living in a winter wonderland for a couple of months. I hate hot, humid weather.

There we differ.
I do enjoy the change in seasons and the first snow of the year is always nice to see and even fun to drive in. The first below zero morning is something to marvel at.
After that, I'm done.
One month of cold and winter precip would be great. The problem is that you then face an additional two.
A vacation somewhere warm does help, but the only real antidote is the end of February and the blooming of the first spring flowers. Everything gets better after that although we have sometimes had heavy snows in March.
Whenever anyone complains about the hot, humid summers we have here, I always tell them that it beats the [censored] out of January.

When younger winter is great: skating, skiing, tobogganing, snowball fights, etc.. At my age there's more of a downside like shovelling the driveway and traffic chaos. Still, there's nothing like a good cup coffee on a winter morn - your senses are more alive.

Having said that I agree. If I could snap my fingers and eliminated Dec and March I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Cold is truly relative.... Case and point was in December of 89'. Most of the month was really cold for the eastern third of the US. Including eastern Virginia where it was the coldest December on record. Well we had a "warm up" with high temps in the mid 40s in the middle of the month. I was wearing a shirt sleeve shirt outside that day and it felt warm to me.

I guess you're right, and the same is true of "hot" weather too...we laughed when the UK media were reporting on the "heatwave" gripping the nation a few weeks back - they had a few days in a row where it was 30C (86F) plus, which I suppose is a big shock to the system when you're not used to it. I work with a few English guys, they can't believe we're all complaining about the cold, they think the temperature is perfect!

I believe it was last year or the year before, Shannow shared with us here some pictures of the snow he experienced. A lady I know is from Australia, I showed the pictures, and she knew the geography and climate of Shannow's locale. After her enduring several Saskatchewan winters, she said, "It looks good on them."
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

There we differ.
After that, I'm done.

I grew up in central Ohio, and was always disappointed with the winters. We'd get snow, then 2 days later the temperature would go above freezing and it would turn to slush, making a dirty, grayish mess. I moved to Michigan to get a job, but ended up liking the weather. But I'm still a Buckeyes fan.

It's coming over here now. We are told the next 2 weeks are traditionally the coldest of the year, and look to be heading that way. -9c at Mt Cook airport, but that's to be expected, otherwise -4 or -5 in the deep South this morning, but low 2 digit highs. The North Island is getting rain for a few days, about 6c at home this morning, and some places will see highs of 18c. It's cold, but still pretty normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back