Coffee - Your Current Brew

Busted out my Gaggia Classic which can accept ESE pods to use these:
BORBONE-CIALDA-SUPREMA-800x800.jpg

I've been cold brewing my coffee for a couple years now. It makes
things a little easier before work. I just pour it in a cup, microwave it and dump it in my thermos.

But on weekends, I use a stainless steel French Press for maximum flavor out of the cheap coffee I buy at the grocery store :)

Really i need to start buying beans and grinding them for my weekend brew.

Today I purchased Catahoula's Mocha Blend.
1675375007218.jpeg
1675375034700.jpeg

Mocha is Catahoula's recreation of the Mokka Java flavor from Yemen that is very difficult to source due to the ongoing civil war. Catahoula decided to (after many different combinations and roast levels) create a similar flavor profile with a mix of Central American, South American, Indonesian, and African beans. Mocha is complex, chocolate-y, and full of flavor. Peet's Arabian Mocha Java was an early favorite of mine, and Sweetie liked it as well, so I'm looking forward to trying this take on a well-known and well-liked blend. The Full City Roast is between a Catahoula's medium and dark roasts.

This Mocha Blend is named for Catahoula’s namesake dog, a wonderful Catahoula Leopard Hound. I met her years ago, when the shop first opened. Mocha crossed the Rainbow Bridge many years ago but she lives on through this blend.

A small bag of their Kenya blend found its way into my shopping bag as well. Thus far, after trying about five of Catahoula's blends, the Kenyan is still my favorite. Still, I'd like various blends.to continue exploring the shop's various blends.

Rand roast batch 1050(aprox)

Roasted 30seconds into second crack.. outside. (or full city+)
excess chaff is because its so cold outside its cool in 4min and doesnt tumble the full 12mins.
there is a low temp sensor so you have to reload fast before you get the low temp error from roasting outside in winter.
Beans are slightly darker than photo appears it was taken in weak sunlight.
image_2023-02-02_184810205.png

Beans roasted were from a 50# box of invalsa "Bolivian grade AAA". Fair Trade & Organic.

I have a bag of Columbian from Costco. A bag of "French Roast " with no bean origin.

I'm friends with a local restaurant owner that says he has the goods on the best roaster in TN. We'll see 😀, I will admit the restaurant has great French press so my hopes are high.

I have a bag of Columbian from Costco. A bag of "French Roast " with no bean origin.

I'm friends with a local restaurant owner that says he has the goods on the best roaster in TN. We'll see 😀, I will admit the restaurant has great French press so my hopes are high.
Interested.

Lately, our “go-to” roast, Eight ‘o Clock 100% Colombian, has become scarce in whole-bean form, so I’m looking for an affordable, freshly-roasted light to medium roast bean to start buying regularly.

Currently finishing up pre ground Peet's French Roast. I normally buy whole bean medium or medium dark roast, but I was out of coffee and this was on sale at Costco.

After a few bitter and burnt tasting pour overs, I changed my technique to get the water through the grounds as quickly as possible. The taste difference was night and day and the flavor works really well with either hot or sweet breakfast foods.

Thanks. We don’t have one nearby. We mostly shop at Walmart.

I’ll probably just need to start ordering online.
If you haven't tried the Eight O'clock Colombian Peaks or even the regular Eight O'clock whole bean...They're both quite hood. Give 'em a try. They sell them both at Walmart, at least the ones near me.

Last edited:
Whatever K-cup is on sale at Costco usually.

Albanian gentleman at work brings in some really strong Turkish coffee...Swear I can feel the hair on my a** growing after a cup of that stuff😳

If you haven't tried the Eight O'clock Colombian Peaks or even the regular Eight O'clock whole bean...They're both quite hood. Give 'em a try. They sell them both at Walmart, at least the ones near me.
As I was saying in post #911 above, the 8:00 100% Colombian Peaks has been our “go-to” for years, but lately, availability at Walmart has been very spotty.

As I was saying in post #911 above, the 8:00 100% Colombian Peaks has been our “go-to” for years, but lately, availability at Walmart has been very spotty.
Sorry. Forgot about that post. I think Peets is always a good choice...Major Dickasons uis our go-to but some of the others are good too. Don't think Walmart carries the bigger bags though.

Back