Coffee and carcinogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Unless you see the specific study, and know how to interpret the results, I would pay no attention to it.

Agreed.

I have a masters degree in analytical chemistry, and work full time as an instrumental chemist. A big part of my job is knowing how instruments work, how to design experiments with them, how to interpret the data and see if it's analytically valid, and-a big and often forgotten one-knowing the right "tool" for the job.

Graduate school teaches you how to read scientific literature, as well as how to be critical of it. It's an important tool for scientist, and basically I was taught to dig in and look for any holes in their research.

I've read literature that's held as gospel where I read it and couldn't find any significant problems with the results they achieved. I've also read an equal number where I can sit and poke holes all day in the their results. Some of the most common things I see:

1. Not using a large enough sample size or reporting results based on poor repeatability of the samples(I'm often amazed at the number of things that are published without reporting SDs-I was taught that the SD is as important a part of the measurement as the measurement itself)

2. Incorrectly interpreting the data, including drawing the conclusions from the points in problem #1, or drawing conclusions that the data in my view doesn't sufficiently support

3. Simply using the wrong tool for the job. I deal with this all the time at work, and a couple of times a week talk with someone who wants to use a certain instrument to do a certain thing. Often, the reason is "So and so from my lab used it because Dr. so and so across the hall had one." It comes back to the "When the only tool you have is a hammer..." problem, but fundamentally there is often a better way to do it for various reasons.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I figure the good stuff in coffee out weights any bad. I drink over a pot a day.

What is this good stuff?
I view every study that finds some kind of food/drink as beneficial to be paid by the respective industry.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Life is fatal. Do all you can in moderation, change your oil as needed, spread joy and don't dwell on negativity.
+1... none of us are getting out of here alive...

Actually this is old news badly interpreted. A knew a guy who was a coffee roaster. His high dollar machine was vented so that he would not breath fumes that could be harmful. There is no danger in the finished product. The actual roasting process is not where the good smell comes from. It comes from the beans that have already been roasted. Actual evidence shows coffee to reduce cancer and heart disease.

I will stop putting Methanol in my windshield wiper fluid reservoir, though.

That really unnessary toxin exposure.

Also Thermal printer Cash Register receipts are highly toxic.

BPA buddy.

New car "smell"? Highly Toxic.

New carpet smell? Highly toxic.

New paint smell? Highly toxic.

New laminate flooring? Highly toxic.

Most of my stuff is OLD so maybe I'm safe?

Including the Wife.

But I'm thinking now ... Old wife = Toxic, I think
smile.gif

California causes cancer, so I'm already gonna get it. Working on moving somewhere better but who knows when that will happen. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my morning coffee. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

New car "smell"? Highly Toxic.

New carpet smell? Highly toxic.

New paint smell? Highly toxic.

New laminate flooring? Highly toxic.

Most of my stuff is OLD so maybe I'm safe?

Including the Wife.

But I'm thinking now ... Old wife = Toxic, I think
smile.gif

I like your logic
thumbsup2.gif

If you continue to drink coffee , chances are you will eventually die .

If Jesus does not come back first . Happy Easter to one and all ! :)

Originally Posted By: dogememe
California causes cancer, so I'm already gonna get it. Working on moving somewhere better but who knows when that will happen. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my morning coffee. Thank you.

I've read that many Californians are bailing out. I've also read that parts of California want to succeed.
Have we ever been more DIVIDED?

Coffee, like alcohol, is fine in moderation....IMO...I used to drink more but now I limit myself to 2 cups a day.

In the medical field there is strong pressure to publish research. All a scientist has to do is create a study and find minute differences that meet the 95% statistical confidence level, and he is good to go to press with it. Some of these differences dont have to be meaningful in the real world, but they get published.

We start dying the day we are born. Something is gonna get us all. If its coffee, so be it.

This is the rub...
Quote:
The Council for Education and Research on Toxics, a nonprofit group, sued Starbucks and about 90 other companies, including grocery stores and retail shops, under a state law that requires warnings on a wide range of chemicals that can cause cancer. One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a carcinogen present in coffee.

"While plaintiff offered evidence that consumption of coffee increases the risk of harm to the fetus, to infants, to children and to adults, defendants' medical and epidemiology experts testified that they had no opinion on causation," Berle wrote in his proposed ruling. "Defendants failed to satisfy their burden of proving ... that consumption of coffee confers a benefit to human health.

Non profit "community service" sued the industry, and they lost by not being able to prove health benefits.

This "logic" is pervasive...

In my state, it's applied to developments...in order to pass, the proponent has to prove "NorB - Neutral or Beneficial" Impacts.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Life is fatal. Do all you can in moderation, change your oil as needed, spread joy and don't dwell on negativity.
+1... none of us are getting out of here alive...

+2 !

Heavy coffee drinker here. I am in favor of labels that declare known carcinogens in foodstuff, household chemicals etc. That does not mean I will not consume or use a product, but the choice is left to me. Look at this another way. Let's say in 30 years the food industry has proof that heavy coffee consumption does indeed cause cancer of the earlobe in x% of coffee drinkers and that they had suspected this since the discovery of acrylamide in coffee and that they did not inform the blissfully ignorant consumer. Imagine the legal fallout. Warning labels are often a means of CYA. I gotta have a coffee and cookie break now. The latter is probably more loaded with acrylamide than the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back