Co-op D-MO SL 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very, very good question. See if you can get an MSDS for it and see who makes it...I have a feeling if it is a group IV 0W-40 there may only be one place it can come from.

I know the local co-op mechanic here, I took in the specs for XD3 and compared specs to DMO which the co-op guy had and showed me. The DM-O specs were just barely under XD3, too close to call XD3 better on paper.

The co-op attendant/mechanic told me the base oil was same as XD3 from Esso, I think that is what you might be hinting MGregoir? Co-op did their own thing with add pack according to co-op attendant. If one buys a flat of 12 the price was very reasonable, Co-op will sell in single litre quantities unlike Esso Bulk, cost about 1 buck more per litre.

Unlike UFA Polar, Co-op DMO is NOT XD3 but I think it is very close after comparing all the specs.

Hope this helps, going to co-op today to get tire fixed, I will see if he will part with a spec sheet on DM-O. Your local co-op should open book up for you too to see specs on paper.

Cyprs

Got tire fixed and I also got a photo copy of Co-op's specs/data sheet on this 0-40/SL POA.

I can scan the sheet onto my hard drive, but I dont know how to load that into this thread, if anyone can help then I will do best I can to load it in here.

If needed I can type the important specs manually too.

Cyprs

Got a minute, I will type out the main specs:

0-40 D-MO Group IV POA CI-4/SL

Kinematic Viscosity
@40C, CST 57.8
@100C, CST 15.4
Viscosity Index 154
Pour Point -57
Ash 1.43
Zinc (ppm) 1421
TBN 11.2
CI-4, down to CF/SL,SG,SH.

He told me Co-op did a $100,000.00 test on this oil recently, it meets all standards on old-new diesels/gassers to spec of CI-4/SL. This new advanced formula D-MO showed huge gains over the older Co-op formulas on this testing. He said it is Group 1V and agreed with me that the base is from Esso.

I see this 0-40 POA a little more gasser friendly on the cats than the XD3 which I think is quite bit more higher on Zinc, I have had analysis show over 1600 ppm on 0-40 XD3 after 6K.

On the specs in comparing to XD3 I see close similarities, visc is nearly exact, pour point close, the zinc is bit lower than Esso but better for gasser cats, TBN down about .8 from XD3. I think the XD3 is CI-4plus rather than DMO being CI-4.

The 5-30 D-MO CI-4/SL syn blend

Kinematic Viscosity
@40C, CST 61.5
@100C, CST 10.80
Visc Index 144
Pour point -36
Ash 1.43
Zinc (ppm) 1421
TBN 11.2
Same CI-4 down to CF/SL,SJ,SH as 0-40

Cyprs

PS: I would put full page on if someone tells me how to do it.

That is basically what the Co-op mechanic and I discussed today and about a year or two ago too, yeah.

Cyprs

I used it once in my Cummins, run great, did not do analysis on it as I have it's XD3 counterpart. On the spec sheets the D-MO comes up a little short (very little) on TBN and ZDDP as I show above y2k345.

Price wise, I think the DMO may be bit less, on a flat of 12 litres DMO I think the price is 5.00 litre, about the same price I pay for 0-30 XD3, the 0-40 XD3 is about $5.50, not much dif in price.

On my use I feel bit more comfortable with XD3/Esso, if I could not get XD3 for what ever reason then I would not hesitate to use this DMO with full confidence. I understand the base POA group 1V is the same in both oils, it boils down to who's "add packs" one trusts or believes in most I guess.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
I think the XD3 is CI-4plus rather than DMO being CI-4.

No the XD3 is not CI4+ just CI4. I'm excited at the prospect of not buying oil at walmart anymore though to get the ESSO.

If I am wrong, I apoligise. On my Esso XD3 spec sheet it does say CI-4, BUT, UFA Polar Plus 0-30 and 0-40 is XD3, the UFA attendant shows me the cross reference tables of what all thier oils are on thier labeling.

I was going by memory, I get the 0-30 XD3 in UFA Polar Plus containers/label, I am certain the rating on the UFA lable is CI-4 plus, I may be mistaken on that, I am going to an Alberta UFA in near future for more 0-30 XD3, I will re check the lable and ask UFA if it is CI-4 plus/ if it is a UFA label mistake/ or see if it is my mistaken memory.

I dont know if Esso would formulate a CI-4Plus just for UFA, maybe? few possibities here, I will try to find out. Anyway that is where my comment come from, I may still be wrong on memory.

I think both are good oils, as I said earlier, D-MO falls slight bit short on specs, very little, it boils down to which company one has more faith in as far as additves go. The Plus spec is no dif to me on my applications which works out good any but I dont want to mislead anyone who does need the PLUS spec for their newer diesels.

thanks,
Cyprs

Last edited:
Hello Duff, I eat crow, I called UFA and thier Polar Plus is only CI-4, I then realized I saw the CI-4Plus rating on my Boss Premium 15-40 summer time oil, that is where I goofed. I run Boss dino and XD3 syn HDEOs which can create bit of confusion.

Thanks for the link, updated from what I printed off a few years ago, I printed this one off.

thanks,
Cyprs

So Esso is the superior oil of the two? vs the Coop SL 0-40 I mean

Also who`s oil is better UFA or Coop??

Last edited:
First off, Please understand that not ALL UFA Labled oil is Esso oil, if I come accross that way it is not my intention. UFA Polar in the 0-40 and 0-30 syn is exact XD3 0-30 and 0-40. There are other UFA labeled oils that come from other oil companies too, the UFA attendant will show you the source of any UFA labeled oil yu may be interested in y2k345 if you do pursue UFA oil, I dont want to mislead you or anyone.

Basically, UFA Polar syn 0-40 being Esso XD3 syn 0-40, it still comes down to the same basestocks y2k345 in UFA Polar HDEO syn, Xd3 or D-MO 0-40s and which company Esso or Co-op you trust the most in add packs.

I put down the specs on Co-op D-MO above in my post and Duff kindly gave the updated Esso XD3 specs where you can find 0-40 XD3 specs. You will find the specs on paper to be extremely close.

Personally, I dont think you could go wrong with either oil y2k345, they have great same base stock and the CI-4 specs are met in both add packs. The co-op oil will be bit less money bought in 12 flats. Both oils are also SL gas rated, the 0-30 Xd3 and UFA 0-30 Polar are excellent for gas engines, instead semi syn 5-30 offered by Co-op. 0-40 in either Co-op, UFA or XD3 will do good in gas engines too but quite heavy oil, I prefer the 0-30 XD3 because it is nearly a 40 weight by SM gas rated standards in what I am told in here, heavy stuff.

Esso oils are in many different companies lables, I have been told by Esso bulk station attendant that Esso XD3 15-40 is Ford Motocraft HDEO in Canada. It is in UFA specific bottling, Some Canadian John Deere Oil is Esso XD3, SuperStore HDEO 15-40 a few years ago was XD3 Esso 15-40 for under 2.00 litre, steal. I believe it was YUK who discovered this very cleverly with lable inquiries with SuperStore inquiry phone line that Super Store HDEO came right out of Strathcona Esso refinery at that time. Super Store now sells XD3 15-40 in Esso bottle for over 3 bucks liter, too bad the PC superstore HDEO was dropped by SuperStore.

Co-op DM-0 chose not to just take XD3 and put it in their labeling, they put in thier own additives into the basestock and did thier own testing, according to Co-op it passed with flying colours in meeting CI-4 Y2k345, you have to compare specs and decide which company you trust or believe in most, Co-op or Esso is what I believe it comes down too, personally speaking I go for Esso XD3 in the XD3 HDEO syn, but that is only a personal choice, as I said earlier, if XD3 syn 0-40 disappeared of face of earth magically today I would use the DM-O oil with full confidence in replacement.

Hope I helped some here.

Cyprs

Both the 5W-30 and 0W-40 have viscosities of ~60 @40C. My pan temperature is ~78 C. after running so even though the 0W-40 has a good 40 viscosity of 15 @ 100 C. I'd guess it would produce considerably less oil pressure for me than my current 5W-40.

Charlie

What do you guys think of the 11.2 TBN, -57* pour point, and the fact that it is CI4+? I haven't been around these forums much lately, and I missed the CJ4 vs CI4+ debate that I assume went on....maybe a topic for a new thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back