Clear hose or sight glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any kind of clear hose or inline sight glass arrangement that I could put inline up and downstream of the filter (Frantz or M-G) to allow some kind of visual check on the filtration? Thanks, it's a great forum.

I don't know of any type of hose that can take the potential temps ..nor remain clear after enough use.

The only thing that comes to mind is something like a boiler sight glass. It's tapped to NPT and can be removed for cleaning from time to time. Although having a relatively small ID (for the higher pressure boilers) ..this should be about right for bypass filtration. I don't know the PSI limits of household boiler sight glasses ..since all I'm aware of are safety limited to 15 psi. The glass probably has a substantial safety factor .but I don't know what it would be.

I looked into sight glasses a few years ago for diesel fuel system problem. I ended up using a glass inline fuel filter from autozone that had 1/4 npt fittings on each end. I removed the filter element and it worked for my application but it was low pressure/vacuum... Not sure it would work for a pressurized oil line.. I also found some other more expensive sight glasses ... here is one link but you should be able to find more with a google search...

http://www.lubedevices.com/02.htm

IIRC these were available form Granger... Also try www.mscdirect.com and search on "oil sight glasses" ...

hope this helps ...
smile.gif

visually verify? you must have really good eyes to spot those particles suspended in opaque oil.

nonetheless, perhaps a tempered glass tube secured with hose clamps would work? Check out a chemical/lab supply house. Won't be cheap....A clear sleeve such as heatshrink over it would be a good idea for added impact resistance.

For some reason this forum has the smartest people.
The best thing is to check the dipstick. In 1965 I installed a Frantz oil cleaner on a tow rig for a racing company in San Jose California. He wasn't too happy about his oil not looking as clear as mine. I called Skipper Yee at Frantz and told him. He asked what oil I used. I told him Delo 100 30 wt. He asked what oil he used. I said RPM special 30 weight. He said drain his oil and put in Delo 100 then his oil will look like yours.
He was so happy that he had his dipstick chrome plated. It helped that he was sponsored by a chrome plating shop and Chevrolet. Some oils had an ashless additive that turned dark with use. When you sell oil filters you don't want dark oil on a customers dipstick.

Ralph

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Plock:
I looked into sight glasses a few years ago for diesel fuel system problem. I ended up using a glass inline fuel filter from autozone that had 1/4 npt fittings on each end. I removed the filter element and it worked for my application but it was low pressure/vacuum... Not sure it would work for a pressurized oil line..

Wouldn't areturn line from a Frantz be close to zero pressure?

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Wouldn't the return line from a Frantz be close to zero pressure?

Good point.. The in-line glass fuel filter with the element removed may work... Also, thinking back, the fitings on the unit I bought from Autozone were 1/8 NPT (not 1/4 NPT as stated in my previous post)

This looks like the one I bought at Autozone..

-

Russell Clear FLow Filter

smile.gif

I'm just not understanding the purpose of something like this. The bypass filter will not make the oil clear. Heck over time I doubt you could see much through that site glass.

I would rather have some type of flow meter or pressure gage so you can tell if the filter is still working correctly.

quote:

I'm just not understanding the purpose of something like this.

Oh, I'm sure that it would show no more then the dip stick for clarity ...and a hand feeling the warm canister would tell if the thing is working.

It's to watch the marvel of self installed contraptions ...our facination with our toys that fuels this type of desire.
cheers.gif

On my Volvo I dumped the bypass oil flow back into the valve cover beside the filler cap - with the engine idling, I can remove the cap and watch the flow - its mesmerizing!

The Volvo's PCV system is different from mosst other cars in that it does not pull the gasses from the valve cover - plumbing the bypass this way on my car has never caused a problem.

"For some reason this forum has the smartest people." Well, I'm not one of them, but let me guess: it takes a certain conceptual ability (aka: imagination) to understand the process of wear, particulates and the potential benefits of bypass filters. Most folks no longer have that ability, thanks to...?

I was interested in this idea more as a way to convince those unable to conceptualize than anything else, but thinking a little more I can see how the process of filtration like contamination is gradual, and once the oil is relatively clean, there will be no visible difference between inlet and outlet. Which may be the reason for devices such as the Frantz salesmans setup I saw on eBay a while back which would pump dirty oil through the TP filter and into a glass jar for the skeptical to see!

Thanks for the replies.

quote:

Originally posted by TP4ME:
"For some reason this forum has the smartest people." Well, I'm not one of them, but let me guess: it takes a certain conceptual ability (aka: imagination) to understand the process of wear, particulates and the potential benefits of bypass filters. Most folks no longer have that ability, thanks to...?

Leased vehicles, extended warranties, lots of quick lube places, and also cars are much more reliable and safe than they used to. The newer, more accurately machined engines have tighter tolerances and consume less oil. You'd tend to conclude then that people check their fluids less often. This is America man! Well, at least where I come from. It's trendy to toss out for something new and shiney even though what is replaced requires a little work to keep in shape.

quote:

Which may be the reason for devices such as the Frantz salesmans setup I saw on eBay a while back which would pump dirty oil through the TP filter and into a glass jar for the skeptical to see!

Yeah, whoever installs a sight glass will have a running, mobile showcase!

Go to www.mcmaster.com

search on "Clear Nylon 6 Tubing"

I'm using this tubing on my PSD as a "coolant eye"
with a Frantz as a coolant filter.. Seems to work just fine and stays clear.. Don't know how it would work with oil.. This tubing is tough stuff.. I think that it would hold up...

Have a friend who installed an AMSOIL Bypass Filter on his van. He thought it would be cool to mount the filter inside the cabin and use clear hose so he could show it off.

Ran around the beltway, glanced over and saw the hose swelling. Pulled immediately to the side, and just as he got over, it blew. He said he isn't going to rust, ever!!

Relocated the filter into the engine compartment, using the hoses provided

For the folks who say, what is the point, if I were to do it, I would do it for the novelty factor, basically because it looks cool.

In engines where the engine is clean the glass might stay decently clean. I'm not sure how hot you can get glass safely however. Cold to hot to cold cycles make glass incredibly weak. Even if I had the option to have one of those on my car for free I would turn it down because if that glass shatters, goodbye oil pressure.

On my '88 Cherokee I got clear hose from Home Depot rated at 35PSI. Even though the return hose in not pressurized, I figured at .15 a foot it was cheep enough. My return runs through an oil cooler and then returns through the top of the valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back