Civic @ 172,000 on Mobil Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! Our 2012 with 135K looks fantastic through the fill hole so far also. Many different oils (ST, PP, Havoline, Peak and a few i'm missing i'm sure) and weights (0w20, 5w20 and 5w30). My hopes is to keep this until 400K on the original engine and transmission.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Just out of curiosity, did they ever give a reason for the back spec?

With only a few exceptions they back speced everything from a certain year on...

Does your owner's manual have that chart where they list different oils depending on climate? On mine,Honda doesn't give you any options. 0W20 on the oil fill cap and 0W20 in the owner's manual.

Not only is it great under the cover, it's great throughout the whole engine bay.

I can barely find any rust except on the exhaust bits, jealous given what happens to cars where I am. Looks well-maintained, hopefully the car pays you back for taking care of it so well and not letting it go to [censored] like people do these days.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Does your owner's manual have that chart where they list different oils depending on climate? On mine,Honda doesn't give you any options. 0W20 on the oil fill cap and 0W20 in the owner’s manual.

5/20 only on this one. 5/20 on the oil cap until I put an oil cap from a later model that says 0/20. I’ll have to look at the FSM later and see what it says.

BTW, Here is the oil chart.

2016m11d14_FluidCharts_ListOfOilFluids.png

Originally Posted By: c502cid
No head gasket issues? Very good if not!

No, not yet at least. One of the reasons that I always use Honda Type 2.

Honestly the only non-maintenance / non recall items it has ever had are a software update for setting an O2 slow response code too easily and batteries. It kills batteries, it is on battery 4. I know batteries go bad and have to be replaced but I feel like 4 is a little much.

Still it has been a great car.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Obviously do a lot of highway driving. ...

Actually not really, especially not historically, maybe a bit more lately.

Love its proper conventional valve clearance adjusting system, which most manufacturers had abandoned by then. It's ancient, but tough to beat for reliability and durability/cost ratio.

Last edited:
Reading on other forums, a couple of people were saying they noticed using Mobil 1 that their engines were turning amber colored, instead of the nice, shiny silver of new metal. Makes me wonder what is going on. Are certain engines just easier on oil? So, they stay clean as long as quality oil is used and changed?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Quote:
One of the reasons that I always use Honda Type 2.

thumbsup2.gif

How does Honda Type 2 help?

My brother has a 1997 Civic, he was using Peak Global, but, since he was using Honda Power Steering fluid, and the Honda Type 2 is almost the same price, he started buying it. Also, he started buying Honda Brake fluid, just to keep things Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back