Cirrus SR-22 Saved by CAPS - Bellevue, WA

What don't you like compared to your Dakota?
Honestly? Aesthetics...I prefer steam gauges, (well mostly...have a moving map and looking at a digital backup attitude gyro+), rivets, yokes and aluminum. Flying is a hobby for me like driving vintage cars. I also found the Cirrus touchy to land until I got used to it, which I did.

"Not a huge fan" probably sounds worse than my actual feelings, they are wonderful airplanes and the BRS is an amazing asset, but If I were spending SR22 money, I'd buy a Bonanza.

Those bushes and small trees must have helped provide a soft landing.

Honestly? Aesthetics...I prefer steam gauges, (well mostly...have a moving map and looking at a digital backup attitude gyro+), rivets, yokes and aluminum. Flying is a hobby for me like driving vintage cars. I also found the Cirrus touchy to land until I got used to it, which I did.

"Not a huge fan" probably sounds worse than my actual feelings, they are wonderful airplanes and the BRS is an amazing asset, but If I were spending SR22 money, I'd buy a Bonanza.
Fair enough. I'm guessing with your steam gauge preference you aren't in IMC much. The composite structure and CAPS does set them apart for sure.

You say saved, but I thought the plane was generally considered to be a writeoff if you deployed CAPS.

Saved the humans for sure though. Love the system.

Fair enough. I'm guessing with your steam gauge preference you aren't in IMC much. The composite structure and CAPS does set them apart for sure.
Not a lot, and won't be until I can dedicate more time to flying, though I never had a problem in the Dakota...its has an updated King and Gamin panel w/ KAP 150.

You and I seem to have similar tastes with airplanes!

I like to describe the Bonanza to the E class Mercedes. Very refined. The Cirrus is a tougher one to describe,, maybe a Ford Explorer as far as handling is concerned.

Some folks love the Cirrus avionics. Some like the control feel of the Bonanza.

All aircraft need that. Big ones too, and flotation systems too.
Why?

Big ones aren’t exactly falling out of the sky. Air travel has never been safer. The accident rate is incredibly low. More than a thousand times safer than driving.

Experienced pilots. Reliable turbines. Strong safety culture. Incredible safety record. Better than one in ten million.

Single engine airplanes have always had a high accent rate. Inexperienced pilots. Engine failures. Spotty maintenance. The chute makes sense.

Sorry I watch too many air disasters shows on tv. Okay maybe having ejection capsules would be a better idea.
Yes it is safe to fly, but just in case, its nice to have a safety system.

Back