Chinese Military Hackers stole data from US firms

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/us-firm-blames-chinas-military-for-hacking-attacks-1

Quote:
Cyberattacks that stole massive amounts of information from military contractors, energy companies and other key industries in the U.S. and elsewhere have been traced to the doorstep of a Chinese military unit, a U.S. security firm alleged Tuesday.

China's Foreign Ministry dismissed the report as "groundless," and the Defense Ministry denied any involvement in hacking attacks.

China has frequently been accused of hacking, but the report by Virginia-based Mandiant Corp. contains some of the most extensive and detailed accusations to date linking its military to a wave of cyberspying against U.S. and other foreign companies and government agencies.

Mandiant said it traced the hacking back to a neighborhood in the outskirts of Shanghai that includes a drab, white 12-storey office building run by "Unit 61398" of the People's Liberation Army.

crazy2.gif

Mandiant has a vested interest in hyping up threats, keep that in mind. The news media will report what sells: fear.

Quote:
Mandiant has a vested interest in hyping up threats, keep that in mind. The news media will report what sells: fear.

So right. And who might receive a special anti-hacking contract for "discovering" this?

My question is, who is providing the cyberkeys for these hackers, assuming proper security codes are being used?

Anyone who has attended any of our Universities and have taken courses in Mathematics and Computer Science could be potential hackers.

The more connected we are via networks, the more this will happen. You don't think we do the same thing to other countries.

The next attack may not be nuclear or bullets, but cyber. Easier to shut down a vulnerable asset that way.

Not surprised, but I don't think China would be the only one doing it. They are in the spot light because they are more central and government driven whereas other countries would be more private sector driven (i.e. Russian).

The point is, businesses and government agencies need to take care of their stuff and you cannot cut corner in security. Policies need to be taken seriously on a regular basis and people who violate them need to be disciplined to reinforced it.

Originally Posted By: buster
LOL what a surprise. Chinese steal everything. LOL

+1 This has been going on for a long time by all of the communist countries. This is the new frontier. Soon they will hack BITOG and all of the oil changing secrets will be compromised. The sign that the BITOG cyberwar with China had begun will be when Wanxiang acquires Fram and then installs the OCOD on all new US autos at the factory.
02.gif

perfect.....now we tell them we are not going to pay back the money we owe them. Only problem, who is going to make all the toys for Christmas????

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
perfect.....now we tell them we are not going to pay back the money we owe them. Only problem, who is going to make all the toys for Christmas????

Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico, Myanmar

Our own Saint of a Government let them Hack in on Purpose!!

Our Government would be the last so called people I would trust!

What a bunch of concise, thoughtful responses. And then there's this...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

They're "so-called," because, technically, they are people, so far as I know. They very well may have been replaced by Chinese-made Cylons, but I'm going to need further proof, please.

Cold War II, here we come! This time, however, the stakes will be lower, and the profits higher

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What a bunch of concise, thoughtful responses. And then there's this...

Originally Posted By: -SyN-

They're "so-called," because, technically, they are people, so far as I know. They very well may have been replaced by Chinese-made Cylons, but I'm going to need further proof, please.

Cold War II, here we come! This time, however, the stakes will be lower, and the profits higher

The targets have been places like power plants, factories, facility services control (water, gas...etc) as well as defence contractors.

If anything, the ability to wage war on a country from across the world, using their own infrastructure against them means the stakes are HIGHER. Blowing up a few nuke plants.... think about the potential for devastation here!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

The targets have been places like power plants, factories, facility services control (water, gas...etc) as well as defence contractors.

If anything, the ability to wage war on a country from across the world, using their own infrastructure against them means the stakes are HIGHER. Blowing up a few nuke plants.... think about the potential for devastation here!
crazy2.gif

nope, I don't think so: usually will bring back some heavy duty after whoever does that.

corrected scenario: shut a few power plants down: just imagine the primal FEAR of not having their i-phone or android on for 2 days.

True that !!!

The US has had their innermost secrets stolen by the best allies for decades...and these guys aren't particularly your friends.

Originally Posted By: morris
how do the Hackers know they are getting good info?

Seems like a good opportunity to feed them some bogus information...at least at the Pentagon level. Even big firms might do this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back