Chinese EV companies attempt to entice legacy automakers with technology for cash. Mercedes, so far, is resistant.

wemay

Site Donor 2023

"The talks did not get as far as discussion on details on the technology to be transferred and the potential financial investment, they said.

One of the sources said Nio approached Mercedes with the tie-up proposal, but said it faced resistance within the German company that discussed it internally in recent weeks, and that it was highly likely it would not proceed.

It was unclear by when a decision on the tie-up would be reached."

I have the strange thought as as our domestic manufactures price themselves out or the market a made in China product will become appreciated and our politicians will get wonderful kick backs from the Chinese corporations.

I have the strange thought as as our domestic manufactures price themselves out or the market a made in China product will become appreciated and our politicians will get wonderful kick backs from the Chinese corporations.
We are on the same page, 100%

Yes, and more garbage from China will find its way into the USA.

Western companies are having second thoughts about tie-ups with Chinese firms. The WSJ has an article in todays edition which is about an employee of a western company who have been prevented from leaving the country. It's call an "Exit Ban". Basically country sized house arrest without being formally charged. From the article,

"...A senior executive at U.S. risk advisory firm Kroll has been barred from leaving mainland China for the past two months, heightening concerns about the risks foreign companies face when doing business in the country.

Chinese authorities have taken an increasingly tough stance on foreign businesses this year. Authorities have raided the offices of due-diligence firm Mintz Group, questioned the staff of U.S. consulting firm Bain & Co., and implemented strict new data rules. These moves have damaged American businesses’ confidence in China, which is at its lowest level in decades...."

"...Business executives who have consulted with Chinese authorities say a key part of the data-security effort is the desire to more tightly control the narrative about China’s governance and development, and to limit the information collected by foreign companies such as auditors, management consultants and law firms that could influence how the outside world views China...."

It would kill MB's reputation. They have enough problems with bad part suppliers. Most of MB's problems in the past few years have been from faulty parts by suppliers. They don't have very many "design or engineering" problems.

from what I understand of a complex macro economic subject, China has a debt problem.
trying to receive foreign investment and getting nowhere might be a symptom of that problem.

from what I understand of a complex macro economic subject, China has a debt problem.
trying to receive foreign investment and getting nowhere might be a symptom of that problem.
This.

At the moment China has a financial crisis mainly due to the real estate boom in the lesser tiers cities and rural area, leading to a lot of gov mandated business decisions that aren't capitalism friendly (although perfect capitalism doesn't exist to begin with). MB is correct to be concerned that if they buy technologies from Chinese companies the gov may step in later on and either ban a sales or mandate this or that later, and MB has no way to do but comply. I don't think this is impossible to happen if MB wanted to buy from a US based company completely, and the only way they can prevent that is to do their own R&D instead of relying on a 3rd party.

NIO is a good company, their products are actually on par with at least Hyundai if not Mazda in terms of quality from my understanding (possibly even Volvo depends on who you ask). A few of my former coworkers went to work for them in their San Jose office.

They are attempting to hollow out our economy from the inside out in addition to the manufacturing that already has been exported. Mainly in the name of the bottom line, e.g., greed. I'm glad to see companies waking up from 40 years of this.

Back