Chevy refused a test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The salesguy acted unprofessionally, however if you just answered "nope" then how is the guy supposed to know you are a returning customer or that you will be buying soon?

How is a customer supposed to know if he wants to buy one if he hasn't test driven it yet? Part of buying is looking. Stupid on the salesman's part.

MOTTO:
The Customer is always wrong.

But I wouldn't waste a guys time who is trying to make a living. I would do a test drive if I was planning to buy with a month or two. but otherwise NO.

And I consider most Real Estate Agents and Car Sales managers the biggest idiots on the planet.

Actually the guy who sold me my Rogue and the owner(s) are an OK dudes. Shout out to Sean Moriarty at Nissan of Salem! Know This is not de rigueur!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always tell them no. Just looking, even when im buying. Had he told me that I would have told him the truth then told him I will go some place else. ESPECIALLY if you have bought from them before. What a smack in the face!

Originally Posted By: John_K
The salesguy acted unprofessionally, however if you just answered "nope" then how is the guy supposed to know you are a returning customer or that you will be buying soon?

How is a customer supposed to know if he wants to buy one if he hasn't test driven it yet? Part of buying is looking. Stupid on the salesman's part.

This is all shoulda, coulda, woulda. All I was saying is that if OP provided a bit more information besides "nope" he could've gotten that test drive. Also the salesman could've followed up with a question "if not today then how soon?" or something like that.
I never implied that OP did something wrong. The salesman on, the other hand, lost a potential sale, so he should probably smarten up and treat the customers better.

As someone who sold cars for Lexus and Volkswagen, the managers don't care. They want you in the store purchasing something. I had customers who had no idea what they wanted and ere a year out Don't be that person. Now i had a lady come in to test drive on a Friday night and was camping the following week, (not ideal). I offered her a BCA or borrowed car agreement to let her take the car home,

Malcolm

My daughter and SIL drive from Carlsbad, CA to Hemet, CA where they have purchased 4 cars from 2 dealers over the past 20 years because of the way they are treated there. They get the price they have researched and the trade-in they want and no [censored]. It's certainly worth an hour and a half drive for them. They have been seeing the same sales and management people every time they visit. The people at both dealers know them now and treat them like family.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
There are dealers that I will never set foot in again due to some of the sales staff. When we were looking for our new car I spent quite a bit of time online looking for vehicles, just to go to the dealer and have nobody assist me. I am sure that being 21 did not help the situation. However, considering we NEEDED a new car it doesn't matter what your age is, or in this case what the value of the vehicle is. If it were a new Camaro ZL1 or the like I would understand. There are numerous situations where people go in to have their car serviced and drive off in a new vehicle. Keeping your eyes open and simply seeing if you like that vehicle is a good idea. That salesman is clearly not a good one!
I just bought a brand new car at 18. Yep, I talked to numerous dealerships and told them my situation. Some told me to go shove it. Others didn't care, and treated me like family. However they ever talked to me like that I would have told them I would be calling corporate. Thats unacceptable.

Like Dorian, there are a few dealers I will not patronize. I had a similar experience with a motorcycle when I was young. I wanted to test a Kawasaki 1000. I was on a Suzuki 750, had been riding for 21 years, had license and insurance, and MSF certifcation cards for basic and advanced classes. I was ready to buy if the bike was right. The dealer flat refused under any circumstances. I went back the very next day on a new Katana 1100 and had a discussion with the manager of the place. Hopefully the sales staff was educated in the courtesy and customer satisfaction.
A test drive costs the dealer nothing. Lack of a test drive often costs the dealer a lifetime of business.

Originally Posted By: John_K

Yeah, he was inexperienced, he could have handled it better. But statistically those salesmen know that once you walk out the door, it's very unlikely you'll come back. So even if you were going to buy later, it's still a big question mark if you're going to be buying from that dealership or that salesman. When the buyer is ready, they'll probably walk back into the dealership and buy from which ever salesman is working the floor.

I would have done the same thing if I was a car salesman and a guy responded with a curt, "Nope".

I would have focuses my energies on an interested and ready buyer.

Now if you had said, "I am in the market for a new truck and since my vehicle is in the shop I thought this would be a good opportunity to start the process". Or something that indicated "interest" then I would have replied in the affirmative.

But a one word, "Nope" sounds to me like you are nothing but a time waster...and a bit rude.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
There are dealers that I will never set foot in again due to some of the sales staff. When we were looking for our new car I spent quite a bit of time online looking for vehicles, just to go to the dealer and have nobody assist me. I am sure that being 21 did not help the situation. However, considering we NEEDED a new car it doesn't matter what your age is, or in this case what the value of the vehicle is. If it were a new Camaro ZL1 or the like I would understand. There are numerous situations where people go in to have their car serviced and drive off in a new vehicle. Keeping your eyes open and simply seeing if you like that vehicle is a good idea. That salesman is clearly not a good one!
I just bought a brand new car at 18. Yep, I talked to numerous dealerships and told them my situation. Some told me to go shove it. Others didn't care, and treated me like family. However they ever talked to me like that I would have told them I would be calling corporate. Thats unacceptable.

You are 18 so can be forgiven but it is good practice to remember there are two sides to every story and zi am guessing the salesman might have a different interpretion.

End of the day, if I am looking at a vehicle, I am going with best price tag. If one salesman is rude then I simply ask for a different one.

Whats the benefit of getting in a tizzy and storming out?
And the threat of calling corporate sort of reminds me of a kid who says he is going to tell his mom.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

You are 18 so can be forgiven but it is good practice to remember there are two sides to every story and zi am guessing the salesman might have a different interpretion.

End of the day, if I am looking at a vehicle, I am going with best price tag. If one salesman is rude then I simply ask for a different one.

Whats the benefit of getting in a tizzy and storming out?
And the threat of calling corporate sort of reminds me of a kid who says he is going to tell his mom.
Wow, you apparently have never worked for a corporation. Chevy will be VERY upset if they find out a potential customer was told he cant "joy ride" a new truck. GM spends MILLIONS on advertising new Chevys so im sure they would be [censored] to find out that a customer was told that.
Also if you just go to a different sales person, most likely they are all douche bags if the employer accepts that kind of behavior.
Also my age has nothing to do with this. Im still a legal adult at the end of the day. I have a full time job and go to school fulltime. When I go car shopping looking to spend a big chunk of change, im not happy when im looked at as a young guy that is just here to [censored] us. I have worked quite a few 60 hour weeks, something that im sure that not a lot of 18 year olds have done in this country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
What you should have done was explained to the owner/ manager how this salesman lost them your business.

This. A letter or in person meeting with the owner of the dealership would be in order.

"I will be in the market for a vehicle very soon, and this buffoon that thinks he is a salesmen, just cost your dealership a $60,000 sale. I've never been more insulted in my life. I will NOT be buying a vehicle from your dealership. Thank your very rude and unprofessional sales boy."

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Dealers can really suck.

My wife and I walked into our small town's Chevy dealer wanting to look at a few cars, and told them I was ready to buy one. I told them I had recently drove 45 minutes away to test drive some Toyota's and Honda's....but I really wanted to support my local dealer.

I got the worst treatment and customer service. It was unbelievable.

I got the sales manager and told him I was a cash buyer and he just got lost my local business. I opened a bank bag that was in my wife's purse and showed him $30k in cash. And walked out. I went back to the Honda dealer and bought that Accord.
Dealers don't like cash buyers. They don't make any money off the financing. Best thing to do is get a 0/Low interest deal(if best), and pay it off in two months.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
What you should have done was explained to the owner/ manager how this salesman lost them your business.

This and its should have been without hesitation!

I've had some pretty bad sales experiences at dealerships, but I've never been refused a test drive, even at 21 & 22 years old.

I've only dealt with a few dealer salesmen, and always with used cars. I've only had one bad experience. I test drove a Toyota Rav 4. The salesman rode with me. I loved the car and was seriously considering it. When we arrived back at the lot, as soon as we pulled in he said (in a non-kidding way), "so, do you want it or not? I'll go get the papers ready." In the end, they were asking $2,000 over loan value and would not budge on price. I was getting the loan with my credit union and they would've been given a check for the full amount. About a week later, we bought the CR-V from an independent used car dealer.

A friend of mine has been looking at Frontiers after riding in mine. Two different dealers have let him take a truck home over the weekend only for him to fail credit approval. I know a Frontier is nowhere near a $60000 Duramax but still.

Last edited:
I just bought a brand new car at 18. Yep, I talked to numerous dealerships and told them my situation. Some told me to go shove it. Others didn't care, and treated me like family.

I dont know if your parents are around to offer advice, but as a 34 year old that's very good with finances, STOP BUYING NEW CARS, especially at 18 years old. What the heck were you thinking? I cant stress enough how stupid that is to saddle yourself with that much debt, so early in your life, for a stupid car.

All my cars are getting older, and some will need to be replaced soon, but all are paid off, two motorcycles paid off, a boat paid off. Debt is a killer.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Dealers don't like cash buyers. They don't make any money off the financing. Best thing to do is get a 0/Low interest deal(if best), and pay it off in two months.

If there is financing involved, they might be dealing with somebody who can't get credit and the sale will fall through.
My wife and I have paid cash for 6 new vehicles and never had an issue with a dealer not liking that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back