Cheap Gas + Nothing to Do = Going for a Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still working normally...military bases don't close. Not complaining. I have been driving the F150 all week....giving the Honda's a break. That truck gets 13 mpg in any situation...downhill, uphill, pulling boat...whatever. With gas here at 1.62, I figure I might as well use it, plus, it ain't getting any younger. Just flipped 100k miles on it.

We go on road trips every weekend. I love getting away,seeing new places and things. Love adventure!!

Not me. I am a fan of it but we are cutting out any expenditures that isn't tied to housing or eating. I might be buying more gas, but it's going in red cans to be stored in the shed while it's cheap.

indeed, I think I'm going to take my snow tires on my car since its been a mild winter and most of the snow is gone and just fill up the car and go for a drive, but I don't plan on getting out of the car unless I have to.

Took the motorcycle out today since it was 65 and sunny. Traffic was definitely way down, I'd say it was about 1/3 of what it normally is at the same time of day. Made riding way more enjoyable. Gas looked to be around $2.50 here, but $0.50 of that is gas tax.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Nothing to do. Cheap gas. Truck still has the new car smell.

Think I'll pass some assorted blocks of free time just getting in the new F150, driving around without actually stopping anywhere, and head back home when I satisfy my driving fix. 30 minutes. An hour. Who knows. Maybe listen to some music the whole time. Entertainment and chill time without direct interpersonal interaction.

This is something I've always done, from time to time, it's the good old American "Go for a drive" pass time.

Great distraction from this situation.

I did something similar a week ago. My E39 doesn't get a lot of miles on it and those are mostly short-trip miles. Heck, sometimes I worry about having "old" gas in the tank. So, last week I decided to take her out for a nice, sustained trip. Ended up doing about 120 miles, mostly on interstate or state highways but still included some rural roads and sight-seeing in a college town. Ran the tank nearly empty, then filled up with Shell 93 octane and added a dose of Stabil marine to the tank when I got home. Very enjoyable and next time I'll probably stop at a state park for a while.

The Las Vegas Strip is normally so congested locals avoid it like the plague (or Corona Virus, if you prefer). I plan on driving it later today just to be able to do it once in less than an hour or two.

I bet you that at least 5000 miles, if not more, of the 18,900 on my Corvette are miles put on by just me going out for a drive for fun and with no destination in mind. And another 5000 or so would be the times when my wife and I go for a long cruise somewhere, usually to check out some of the small towns in Ontario that we might want to live when we retire (or just to see small towns we haven't seen before) And with these crazy low gas prices (under 60 cents a liter here in spots!) it's a great way to pass the time while this virus situation is going on.

Gas is dirt cheap here, but it's essential travel only. It is my understanding that you can and will be ticketed if you're out even if you just plan on cruising. The wife and I are both in medical so at least we're still working and can get out of the house. We have many friends our age who aren't.

Thankfully, there's plenty to do around the house/ property. I wouldn't survive in town. On a positive note, I will say it's nice not having "plans" for this weekend aside from smoking some ribs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back