Cheap Extendable Locking Flex 3/8 Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it is not even made by HF but by good old American Company Stanley :) It came with standard (aka not metric) 12pt socket set.

hGbRMqG.jpg

YxDo35V.jpg

Pluses:
+ Flex can be locked in 5 different position.
+ The length is adjustable from 9 to 15 inches with one inch - increment.
+ Pretty hefty; looks like it should be able to handle 100 ft-lb
+ Decent chrome

Minuses:-
- Only 48 teeth (I counted); the website claimed 60; I am going to talk with the customer service and see what they can do.
- The detent for flex is weak. It is even weaker than the quick release button. So when you try to press the QR button, the head flexes :-(
- direction change lever looks good but I think it is plastic from testing with a magnet

I ordered it directly from Stanley and it was delivered to my house for less than $20. Walmart sells it for $30 and ebay sellers ask even higher.

It is not Matco or Armstrong but then again it does not cost $140 or $70 either. There are very few extendable locking flex available in the market.

How strong is the locking mechanism? When it's locked can you force the head to go to the next locking position?

Snazzy. That whole thing, tool plus packaging, looks like something I'd find in sears circa 1985.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
And it is not even made by HF but by good old American Company Stanley :)

Well, HF is an American company, too. And, I pretty much guarantee that Stanley ratchet is not made in the US. My bet is that it's made in Taiwan, like many of the better HF hand tools. It could be Chinese, too.

Here is the same from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-3-8-Extend-Ratchet/14146063 It is listed at $29 It is Made In Taiwan.

Flexible mechanism has 5 position detent but the detent spring is not strong enough. Fortunately, you can lock in one of the five position. Handle extension also has locking detents.

If I can get 72+ teeth internals, it would be a great ratchet. Stanley makes other 72 teeth ratchets and I wonder if those kits might fit in here.

I got it from Stanley tools yahoo website. The shipping was via regular us mail but was very quick. I received in couple of days.

I believe this is probably the same one sold at Home Depot under Husky brand assuming it has locking flex. Lowes has similar under their Kobalt brand name but I do not believe it is locking or extendable. http://www.lowes.com/pd_436178-22328-870...2703&rpp=32

After having broken both of the Stanley ratchets that came in the kit my wife bought me a few years ago, I'm not a fan of their products. They've been off-shored and they are garbage. The sockets however, have held up, so the case was refitted with a couple of Snap-On ratchets.
smile.gif

Ive had that identical ratchet for 2 years now! Throw a 15mm on there and thats my belt tensioner tool. I dont use it for everything though, only things that i NEED it for. I havent been able to find another one like it, and i dont wanna break it.

to answer the question above about the locking mechanism. Not sure if your asking about the mechanism that extends the handle, or the one that flexes the head, but they are both rock solid. The locking flex head is one thing that i really like about it, over my craftsman

Last edited:
I was thinking of using it to take off a lug nut and to see if it complains.

I just realized that the Home Depot Husky is the same and it won the first prize in one of the test! It comes with the same identical socket set too. Looking at it, it is obvious that both Stanley and Husky are made in the same factory somewhere in Taiwan. I would have felt very stupid if I had paid more than $20 on the internet!

====================================
1. Husky
14-inch Extendable, 45-teeth
PN: 69563
$19.97 www.homedeport.com
Several months of testing tools have taught us one thing: Husky makes a pretty darn good tool. Winning af ew or our tool shootouts, Husky proved it hasn't been a fluke, as they handily won our ratchet test. For less than $20, the 14-inch extendable ratchet features a lockable flex-head, relatively low-profile head design, and extra torque always on tap from the extended handle. As a bonus, the kit also included a six-piece standard socket set. during our torque torture test, it was the only ratchet in the group that busted loose the 1-1/8-inch nut that was torqued to 120lb-ft. That's serious power in a 3/8-inch package. It isn't flashy, nor the best feeling ratchet in your hand, but that does everything we asked of it at a high level, and without compromise.

Read more: http://www.truckinweb.com/editorial/1210...l#ixzz2REPeMpn9

======================

If I break this, I will pick up the Husky.

Last edited:
I have that one too but I have rarely used it. It was another buy from Walmart. I loved concept but it is too bulky. Besides when I need to spin something, I whip out the DeWalt 12V impact gun which is my prized possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back