Cheap ammo option

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago I placed an order for 500 rounds of 9MM with USA AMMO since I've heard good review about it. Today I tested 50 rounds out and I must say these are great ammo. You can buy "new" or "reload" ammo. I bought the reloads. I also tested out MFS 2000 from Cabela's since these were only $9.88 for a box of 50. The USA AMMO reloads were $8.45 / box of 50. The only difference I see with the MFS is, it has a brass jacket as oppose to copper like others. Both the USA AMMO and MFS did well, not a single FTF or FTE. Here's some pics:

dsc0867a.jpg

Left to right:

USA Ammo (Reload)
MFS 2000
Remington UMC (new)

dsc0871s.jpg

Silver,

Stick with the ammo that fits your wallet the most without betting on reliability. Since all the brands you shot they all have the basic same shape and are all FMJ anyway. I can't say anything about MFS cuz usually I hate imported ammo that doesn't say "non-corrosive". I also see the USA brand says nothing about it either but only because it says USA that's the brand I'd use.

Now a days ammo is so expensive many people just can't shoot like they use to. Stock up when you can and always keep extra just in case something happens.

Durango

I have used "Ammo Engine" to save time when I want to shop for ammo. I have used Lucky Gunner with success, and Cabela's as well. From my research, you won't save any money until you order at least 1,000 rounds. It costs almost as much to ship a case of 20 boxes as it does to ship 1 or 2 boxes. I got a great deal from Cabela's; $5 shipping on orders over $199. That's where you make out.

Actually, I'm reloading my own ammo now since It's about half the price as new ammo, plus I can adjust the load and size that works best in my gun.

I have gone over the costs of reloading, and for .357 magnum ammo, I would only save .03 per round. It's not worth my time. If you shoot something more expensive, then reloading should give you greater savings. It isn't there for the .357.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
I have gone over the costs of reloading, and for .357 magnum ammo, I would only save .03 per round. It's not worth my time. If you shoot something more expensive, then reloading should give you greater savings. It isn't there for the .357.

If I can save .07 per round on 9mm you should be able to do better. This number is also based on Delta Precision or Montana Gold FMJ. With a .45 ACP I can save .10 per round. Unless you are buying new brass you should do better than .03 per round.

For the .357, Cabela's has Berry's bullets for $100/1000. Primer is $37/1000. Powder, say $20/1000 round. Even if you buy 1000 once fired brass. It's still come out to .27 per round. The average new ammo on ammo engine is .40 or more per round plus shipping.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
...From my research, you won't save any money until you order at least 1,000 rounds..

This.

When I buy, its in 1K rd. increments. 7.6239 is a much better deal when buying by the case. Last 9mm purchase for me was $109/1000 rds. of Wolf.

That said, I believe the original poster is getting quite the deal for a 50 rd. purchase. 9mm Wolf is about $180, and the OP payed about $200 per 1K rds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back