changing from inter 7 nexus to 7 sp cassette

I have an electric bicycle (centre motor, by law limited to 250W and assistance up to 25 kph) With a 7 speed Shimano Nexus internal gear hub. These hubs are notorious for 2 things: high drag and not being suited for the added strain of electric assist.

I find myself driving on flats and downhill faster than the assistance limit (around 27 kph) and only really use the assistance going up a hill. (limited to about 5% in my region). So getting rid of the 80-85% efficient rear hub in favour of a 98% effective derailleur system should be a benefit. 5th and 6th gear are most often used, dropping to 4th sometimes and 3rd maybe once in a blue moon. 7th gear is good till about 40 kph, I could go faster with a taller gear (downhill)

I would need a rear wheel with 7 speed cassette (14/34 seems the most appropriate), a derailleur adapter, a derailleur, a shifter, and a cable. Anything I'm missing? I drive about 2 hours a day / 5 days a week which makes it a worthwile upgrade to me.

The Motinova centre motor has a small sprocket up front, first guess around 28 teeth but will count them later to make sure. The rear sprocket seems to be the same size. If that count is correct the derailleur setup gives me a shortest gear that between 2nd and 3rd on the hub, and 2 gears that are talle than the current 7th gear.

Has anyone done this type of thing and noticed benefits? Did I miss something on the parts list? I really like the Motinova engine so would like to avoid buying another bike.

Sounds like you've done your homework and have the ability to do it. Is the 7 speed geared hub the same width as Nexus? Is the frame positively compatible with a derailleur adapter? Cable routing no problem? Sounds like a fun project. I've mixed and matched parts on bikes forever but have never even touched an electric bicycle. What brand is it BTW?

Distance between the dropouts? and dropout type?
I’d be concerned about a lot of work for little gain, a bit more efficient but derailleur setups need to be kept clean to stay efficient too.

Since this is a bike with mid-drive I presume it's got pedal assist but no throttle. Do you really expect the assist to break the IGH? Maybe when going up very steep hills?

Sounds like you've done your homework and have the ability to do it. Is the 7 speed geared hub the same width as Nexus? Is the frame positively compatible with a derailleur adapter? Cable routing no problem? Sounds like a fun project. I've mixed and matched parts on bikes forever but have never even touched an electric bicycle. What brand is it BTW?

The frame is the same width. As I understand it 8 speed and up are wider. The cable routing would be the same as for the nexus cable.

The bike is like a store brand called x-tract

Since this is a bike with mid-drive I presume it's got pedal assist but no throttle. Do you really expect the assist to break the IGH? Maybe when going up very steep hills?

65 Nm from the assist alone, and then there's me with my 200 lbs.

Shimano limits their mid drives to 50 Nm with IGH (rated for e-bikes which the nexus 7 isn't)

I've done the opposite conversion, turning an old Trek 12-speed into a single-speed with an internally geared rear hub.

Single speeds and geared hubs often have wider chains & sprockets than derailleur bikes. If yours does, then you'll also need to replace the chain & front chainrings. Also you need to ensure the chainline is properly aligned, which may involve replacing the bottom bracket, crank spindle and cranks. If that is motorized and you can't replace it, then your options become more limited and kludgy, like shimming the rear hub, or spacers in the cassette/hub interface.

Do you plan to rebuild the rear wheel onto a new hub, or buy a new rear wheel?

I'm buying a new rear wheel. Yes, I will put a 7 speed chain on the front sprocket to check the fit before going further. I have one spare.

The downside that I forgot to mention is that you can't shift the nexus hub under load, upside is that you can shift while standing still

Back