Change trans fluid? If so, how and with what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
At that mileage, I think a complete exchange is in order with filter replacements as well

I would imagine the ATF looks like an old 10W30 engine oil by now.

+100

Originally Posted By: Little_Lebowski
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Little_Lebowski
Here's How: https://www.zf.com/global/media/medien_m...it_50145_EN.pdf

Where does it say "Pan Drain and Refill"

It says, "...transmission oil change...." which usually means a complete fluid exchange.

I dont know what you are eluding to???

My mistake.
blush.gif

Please disregard.

I misread Trav's response and to whom he was referring/answering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is there a spec meeting non LV fluid you can use?

Ford suggests Mercon SP in the Navigator's 6HP26 and the 5R110. Supposedly, it's the same as ZF LifeGuard 6 but dyed red and bottled in the US versus clear and made in Germany.

The fluid is too expensive for a full exchange.

Use the proper ZF Lifeguard Fluid, not the universal ATF.

I believe that ZF Transmission has a Transmission filter that is built into the plastic oil pan, so you will need to replace the oil pan assembly.

Yeah, the filter is built into the pan somehow.
I think I might get this kit or recommend it to the guy that I'll have do it. No trans dipstick, level is checked with a scanner so I'm not going to risk it myself!
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TRANSM100SKA

Is the old adage about old fluid holding the clutch material together true (and thus disturbing it is bad/creates slippage)? Or is that bunk like saying you always have to change oil every 3000 miles?

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Yeah, the filter is built into the pan somehow.
I think I might get this kit or recommend it to the guy that I'll have do it. No trans dipstick, level is checked with a scanner so I'm not going to risk it myself!
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TRANSM100SKA

Is the old adage about old fluid holding the clutch material together true (and thus disturbing it is bad/creates slippage)? Or is that bunk like saying you always have to change oil every 3000 miles?

I am not too familiar with LR's....does your instrument panel have a digital display for trans fluid temp? If so, you might be able to do this yourself.

Honestly, that kit is priced great (only about 10% higher than my cost for the same parts from WP) and I would buy it in a heartbeat. It has everything you need to do the service properly.

I personally do not subscribe to the theory about old clutch material holding the trans together.

EDIT: Check the repair manual to see if new pan bolts are required. A lot of Euro transmission pans require one-time use bolts; the requirement of angle-torque on the bolts is usually an indication that the bolts must be replaced. Failure to comply with this can result in broken bolts...which gets ugly.

Last edited:
No display for trans fluid temp...
frown.gif

I'll ask the forums about new bolts...I'd think if they were required that Atlantic British kit would include them but I'll make certain.

Thanks again.

I would at least replace the filter and fill w new oem fluid. Then you can do the cooler line fluid replace when you get back from your trip

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is there a spec meeting non LV fluid you can use?

Ford suggests Mercon SP in the Navigator's 6HP26 and the 5R110. Supposedly, it's the same as ZF LifeGuard 6 but dyed red and bottled in the US versus clear and made in Germany.

Mercon SP is honey colored just like ZF Lifeguard 6. Same oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back