Change all oxygen sensors or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Is a bad O2 sensor going to leave you stuck on the side of the road?

No it isn't. Ford F150 and Expeditions this year had the front A/F monitors (AKA wide band O2) in a tough place that may need a lot of force to break them free.
When you put that together with rotten studs on the rusted manifold that is also prone to cracking and you just may open a can of worms you wish you hadn't.

Living in the salt belt I can tell you there is none, penetrating oil has almost zero effect on them either. Guys who live in places like Arizona can probably use a $4 HF adjustable wrench on them.

why up stream only?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Upstream only. Wait for downstream to throw a code.

Years ago I was told that O2 sensors were a maintenance item and that one wire sensors should be replaced every 30,000 miles, two or three wire sensors every 50-75,000 miles and four wire ones every 100,000 miles. I have pretty much always done that and I can always tell a difference in gas mileage and how the vehicle runs. This is for the pre-cat ones. I don't usually replace the after cat ones unless they fail.

You can also hook up a scanner and watch the sensor readings and see how fast they switch back and forth. If the readings are switching pretty rapidly, then the sensor is usually still good. If they are slow, it's probably time for a replacement. This is for the pre-cat sensors. The after cat sensors switch pretty slow anyway and are not as important as the front ones. O2 sensors can get lazy as they age.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Great thread!

Too bad there's no SUPER Anti-Seize or even a foil which we could wrap around new sensor threads to ease removal.

The couple times when I've changed O2 sensors, they came with some fancy never seize copper like paste.

can anyone answer if motorcraft is the best for my truck or is there better brand that are better quality,etc?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
why up stream only?

They're the only ones that control A/F ratio
wink.gif

can anyone answer if motorcraft is the best for my truck or is there better brand that are better quality,etc?

Motorcraft doesn't make 02 sensors, the Motorcraft ones are likely Denso or NTK. If you went with Denso or NTK you'd be just as good.

Last edited:

OE is Bosch on these, they are very good. Walker also makes a good one that uses an OE coded plug with Denso or NTK pill.

why up stream only?

Basically all the reasons mentioned above. They're about $24-$26 each for Denso/Bosch on Rockauto. You'd probably save that much in gas mileage. Don't forget the 5% discount code.

Just changed mine on 01 f150 5.4l. Wow passenger side is no fun. Mostly the plug is the issue. It is really hidden and wedged in there. Got Bosch off Amazon for less than $20 each. Zero difference noticed at 130k mileage still stinks. Oh well, worth a try.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Changed the front O2 sensor in my Cavalier this summer when I put it back on the road (hadn't been changed for 10+ years and 100,000 miles) along with spark plugs, wires, and fluids. I am now getting 27-28 mpg mostly city and 32+ at 75-80mph on the freeway. I never got that kind of MPG before, particularly city.

Also changed one on wife's old Cavalier (with the [censored] 3 speed auto) and went from 22 to 27 mpg.

Neither of them set a CEL or caused any drivability issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back