Champ P960

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCI was 7,500 miles. Application is a 2008 Mazda 6i 2.3. Current mileage on the unit is roughly 76,300 miles.

Needless to say I am disappointed in this filter. After finding this I ran straight to Oreilly's and purchased the equivalent Wix. If anyone else here has a similar application with the 2.3 please share what filter you have had the most success with.

Last picture is the champ on the left and wix on the right.

Last edited:
Should have bought a Fram. j/k Not kidding now...the Fram looks just like the Wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
How is it supported in the center? Did it fail?

Not a failure yet but on it's way. The media is not strong enough. The center is supported by the canister.(or should be)

Not supported at all. I was worried about that too. but decided since the cartridge assembly has the support tube that it would be okay.

Yeah... I trusted the Wix name because that's about all oreilly's had in stock in a pinch. After opening the box, I regretted my decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hcbarger
Not supported at all. I was worried about that too. but decided since the cartridge assembly has the support tube that it would be okay.

What's the support tube look like? Big open windows like and eCore filter?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

What's the support tube look like? Big open windows like and eCore filter?

yes, slightly taller than the filter itself with two horizontal bars. I know the motorcraft filter has its own support tube inserted into the filter that is the same diameter of the inside of the filter.

Is the 2.3 the engine that allows an older spin-on filter adapter to be installed with just a dealer-sourced parts swap?

Yeah... I trusted the Wix name because that's about all oreilly's had in stock in a pinch. After opening the box, I regretted my decision.

So... the WIX doesn't look any better than this Champ?

Is the 2.3 the engine that allows an older spin-on filter adapter to be installed with just a dealer-sourced parts swap?

Yes. A lot of people are swapping this system out with ford focus 2.0 oil filter parts. I have seen many forums about it.

So... the WIX doesn't look any better than this Champ?

looks way better... but does not have the support in the middle like I would have hoped. not saying the wix isn't the superior filter of these two...just saying I would have expected better for 10 bucks.

If you convert it to a spin on can you then use Motorcraft (FL910S?) filters...

I think I would have to do that unless the Mazda cartridge is nice (they seem relatively cheap) Who is the OEM?

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/categories/Mazda6/2003%252d2008-Sedan/Maintenance/

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If you convert it to a spin on can you then use Motorcraft (FL910S?) filters...

I think I would have to do that unless the Mazda cartridge is nice (they seem relatively cheap) Who is the OEM?

http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/categories/Mazda6/2003%252d2008-Sedan/Maintenance/

At this point that's looking very attractive.

German cartridge filters are usually better than others. If you do a search for your 2008 Mazda 6i 2.3L oil filter on Amazon.com or Rockauto.com, you will find some German cartridge oil filters, for less than Champ P960.

MAHLE OX-203D is $7.xx at Amazon
Mann-Filter ML-1019 $6.90 at Amazon

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
German cartridge filters are usually better than others. If you do a search for your 2008 Mazda 6i 2.3L oil filter on Amazon.com or Rockauto.com, you will find some German cartridge oil filters, for less than Champ P960.

I pay 2.64 for the champ.

I do not mind to pay 8-10 dollars for a filter. just in search for the best.

MAHLE OX-203D is $4.09 at Rockauto
Mann-Filter ML-1019 $2.90 at Rockauto

Shipping charge per filter is fairly high at Rockauto, you need to buy more than 4-5 filters at a time to reduce shipping cost per filter down to about $1.50.

MAHLE OX-203D is $4.09 at Rockauto
Mann-Filter ML-1019 $2.90 at Rockauto

Shipping charge per filter is fairly high at Rockauto, you need to buy more than 4-5 filters at a time to reduce shipping cost per filter down to about $1.50.

That'll be good. I buy from rock auto about once a week so if I stay with the cartridge I'll just tag those onto my next order. after lots of research last night I am leaning towards spin on conversions for both of our Mazdas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back