Ceramic for Lexus Alloy Wheels

Hello,

I've been a member since 2016 but haven't visited for awhile. SO much information and new topics! We're in line to purchase a new 2022 Lexus NX350 in the next few weeks (it's arrived in the port and ready to be sent to dealership). I really enjoy waxing and use Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech Wax as a base coat and Carnuba Plus Gold about once a month for a deep shine. I intend to continue that regimen when our new SUV arrives but am looking for recommendations for a ceramic for my wheels (OEM and a winter set) to make that job a bit easier. I'm a ceramic virgin so appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

Off topic here, but why would a Californian need a separate set of wheels for "winter"? Do they actually salt the roads in mountainous areas?

Off topic here, but why would a Californian need a separate set of wheels for "winter"? Do they actually salt the roads in mountainous areas?
Much easier to mount your winter tires on separate wheels than to remount tires every six months. If you head up to Tahoe for skiing, you really need winter tires.

I personally like the Adam's coating kits for first timers. They're easy to apply and have a UV tracer so you can ensure even coverage which can be more difficult on wheels.

The kit comes with 50ml of coating which should do both sets of wheels no problem.

Are you the tire police?

I just use what I’m am I applying on the body. Right now it’s the Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic spray. It definitely helps keep dirt off. If you wash and wax your vehicle often them I recommend this product as it is very easy to apply.

I just use what I’m am I applying on the body. Right now it’s the Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic spray. It definitely helps keep dirt off. If you wash and wax your vehicle often them I recommend this product as it is very easy to apply.
Thank you for the tip. To extend, would you recommend this for the body of a new car as a base? I've never used ceramic or a spray with the exception of Griots quick detailer between washes. Does it really provide as much protection as NXT 2.0? Would it be overkill to use ceramic and follow up with a carnuba paste wax? My car, which is set to arrive in a few weeks, is red. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the tip. To extend, would you recommend this for the body of a new car as a base? I've never used ceramic or a spray with the exception of Griots quick detailer between washes. Does it really provide as much protection as NXT 2.0? Would it be overkill to use ceramic and follow up with a carnuba paste wax? My car, which is set to arrive in a few weeks, is red. Thanks in advance.

I haven’t used the NXT product so I cannot help you there. With the Griots 3 in 1 there would be no need for a carnauba wax follow up as it has carnauba in it already. It’s so easy to apply and quick so you could use it on every wash. My experience has been that it gives me six months protection. That will vary of course.

On a Lexus NX you would use a couple of sprays per body panel. Maybe three on the hood. That’s the beauty of the stuff, it works best when used sparingly. You can spray it on trim and the grill and lights. I can do my CX5 in about ten minutes. That’s about the same size.

Gyeon Can Coat is another great easy option for the entire car including wheels. Lasts a good 9-12 months and beads like crazy. Any Sio2 sealant will also work on wheels but don't expect much longevity on wheels. Dedicated wheel coating will last the longest but also more tedious to apply.

The easiest way to protect your wheels would be one of the spray on/rinse off products like Gyeon Wet Coat, Carpro Hydro2 Lite or 303 touchless. Won't last long though.

Last edited:
Gyeon Can Coat is another great easy option for the entire car including wheels. Lasts a good 9-12 months and beads like crazy. Any Sio2 sealant will also work on wheels but don't expect much longevity on wheels. Dedicated wheel coating will last the longest but also more tedious to apply.

The easiest way to protect your wheels would be one of the spray on/rinse off products like Gyeon Wet Coat, Carpro Hydro2 Lite or 303 touchless. Won't last long though.

I agree, that Can Coat is another good option.

The easier products you mention might have a higher cost in the long run. You pay for convenience and time savings.

I personally like the Adam's coating kits for first timers. They're easy to apply and have a UV tracer so you can ensure even coverage which can be more difficult on wheels.

The kit comes with 50ml of coating which should do both sets of wheels no problem.

Reality is, coatings allow for easier cleaning of light soils. If you wash your car 2x/mo, the wheels clean extremely easily.

If you only wash your car a few times per year, you'll still have to resort to using acid to clean the wheels. The coating rarely stands up to heavy cleaners.

Back