Central A/C replacement

Being in NC have you considered a heat pump with dual fuel backup? Might save you a bit of $$$ if your climate will allow you to run in heat pump mode most of the time. If you are springing for variable speed unit those ones can heat pump down to much lower temps than the basic single speeds.

I have the bare bones Lennox 14 seer heat pump (HP14X - cheapest one they have) - yeah no issues over 3 years but its startup is noisy as heck but it runs nice and quiet after the startup bang/rattle. Seems to be common complaint across entire Lennox line - real rowdy getting the compressor going. Start assist (hard start) kit helped a little bit, now my HVAC company wants me to pay $$$ for a compressor blanket - I drew the line there as it is not that disruptive.

The higher higher the seer rating the qualified the serviceman has to be. Installed equipment correctly has alot to do with the contractor and the crew not so much the brand. Check with your electric company for rebates and tax man for energy deduction.

Being in NC have you considered a heat pump with dual fuel backup? Might save you a bit of $$$ if your climate will allow you to run in heat pump mode most of the time. If you are springing for variable speed unit those ones can heat pump down to much lower temps than the basic single speeds.

I have the bare bones Lennox 14 seer heat pump (HP14X - cheapest one they have) - yeah no issues over 3 years but its startup is noisy as heck but it runs nice and quiet after the startup bang/rattle. Seems to be common complaint across entire Lennox line - real rowdy getting the compressor going. Start assist (hard start) kit helped a little bit, now my HVAC company wants me to pay $$$ for a compressor blanket - I drew the line there as it is not that disruptive.
compressor blanket is for noise and maybe keep it from getting lonely😀

Just pointing that contractors over size a/c by 1/3 or so. Much better getting a smaller unit that runs more. That it means it dehumidifies more and runs more. Fewer startups. The unit will last longer.

A 4 ton unit suggests you would be better off with a two zone arrangement with two units.

I got a quote today for an american standard 4 ton 18 seer variable speed unit that that can run 2 zones with 2 thermostats. With a new 100k btu furnace, the quote is 14,600.

Getting another estimate today, does that sound resonable?

In NC? Don't do a gas furnace. Totally unecessary. 1000% get a high efficiency multispeed heat pump that has gas auxiliary heat. It might be a little more expensive up front, but will save you tons of money long-term. Heat pumps are amazing, and modern ones work down to temps pretty close to 0F.

In NC? Don't do a gas furnace. Totally unecessary. 1000% get a high efficiency multispeed heat pump that has gas auxiliary heat. It might be a little more expensive up front, but will save you tons of money long-term. Heat pumps are amazing, and modern ones work down to temps pretty close to 0F.
Im staying gas furnace. I don't want a heat pump. Heat pump is not in play and will not be an option.

Not the direction of the discussion. A heat pump will not be what i want.
You asked for advice on a replacement HVAC system. Multiple people have told you that a heat pump with gas aux heat is by far the more cost efficient option in the long run due to the incredible HPSF of modern heat pumps. Why ask for advice if you aren't willing to consider the advice given?

Ultimately it's your money to do what you want with, but you reaaaallly should reconsider, modern heat pumps are quiet, super efficient, and last a long time. In NC it should be a no brainer imo.

You asked for advice on a replacement HVAC system. Multiple people have told you that a heat pump with gas aux heat is by far the more cost efficient option in the long run due to the incredible HPSF of modern heat pumps. Why ask for advice if you aren't willing to consider the advice given?
I'm replacing the a/c unit due to age, the furnace is aged as well but original. The furnace needs to be replaced to use the variable speed a/c unit. I'm happy with gas. I don't think a heat pump will last as long as a gas furnace.

I don't want a heat pump. Can't run it on a small generator. I don't want heat and A/C tied to the compressor.

My question has been about A/C and now the question is about the quote, I never asked about advice on a heat pump.

This part of the discussion is done.

When I do it again, it won't be a Trane. Compressor has had multiple issues, and evaporator was defective at install, which wasn't discovered until 2 years later when I switched service companies and made them stay until the unit actually cooled the house the way it should. Trane covered the parts, but not the labor, on something the service company proved was defective since day 1. Once bitten.

When I do it again, it won't be a Trane. Compressor has had multiple issues, and evaporator was defective at install, which wasn't discovered until 2 years later when I switched service companies and made them stay until the unit actually cooled the house the way it should. Trane covered the parts, but not the labor, on something the service company proved was defective since day 1. Once bitten.
Thats interesting. I have one company tell me they switched from trane to amana, as trane would not cover labor costs for warranty parts and they or theri customers ere left holding the bag.

Hearing that from you is interesting. I think i will get a non American standard quote for comparison.

I don't think you should compare brands when different tiers of products are compared.

The compressor of, say Goodman and Bryant, in single stage single zone 2.5 ton class, have more in common with each other, than Bryant of the same single stage 2.5 ton class vs 4 ton variable speed or 2 stage 2 zone class.

If you want simplicity and long term reliability go with simpler design, maybe 2 stage 2 speed PSC motor instead of ECM motor (reliability reason if duct work is constricted, ECM doesn't last as long in restricted duct from what I have read so far), even with lower seer rating. If you want even more reliability buy 2 separate single zone system and install 1 upstair 1 downstair, or 1 undersized single stage system with 1 mini split, so you can turn them on to the exact one you need and have a backup.

I got a quote today for an american standard 4 ton 18 seer variable speed unit that that can run 2 zones with 2 thermostats. With a new 100k btu furnace, the quote is 14,600.

$14k for an A/C unit sounds like insanity to me.

Do you have a Costco membership? They partner with installers for A/C, did that last year and we got a decent deal on a mini split. Costco extends the warranties too.

That seems high, I had a 4 ton AC, furnace and coil in the attic replaced back in 2015 and it was $5,300. I didn't do the variable speed (wish I had) that was like a $2k option. Mine is single zone and a lot more basic though.

$14k for an A/C unit sounds like insanity to me.

Do you have a Costco membership? They partner with installers for A/C, did that last year and we got a decent deal on a mini split. Costco extends the warranties too.
I don't know your location, I think just the AC here would be around $6k installed with existing duct.

When I install mine about 10 years ago the guy (licensed) did the work without applying for permit to save cost, and the line was already there but he had to run a new power from the meter around the house, add compressor and evaporator, and kept the existing furnace.

The total came out to be $2.5k for the 3 ton single stage Carrier with 13 SEER. I did the work in the winter intentionally to take advantage of any possible surplus and idle labor, and I think I got a bargain (other guys were quoting $1.8K for unlicensed guy who did it behind his bosses back to $4k for a commercial AC guy quoting a Trane).

Recently there's a lot of building boom and as you know in the last 4 years we have a lot of construction laborers being sent out of the country for political reason, so labor cost pretty much went up at least 50% to double in our area. The newer higher SEER units are also very expensive. I got in on the lower SEER system before the regulation kicks in. I was told it would be a lot more these days because of the higher SEER stuff is expensive.

I'm replacing the a/c unit due to age, the furnace is aged as well but original. The furnace needs to be replaced to use the variable speed a/c unit. I'm happy with gas. I don't think a heat pump will last as long as a gas furnace.

I don't want a heat pump. Can't run it on a small generator. I don't want heat and A/C tied to the compressor.

My question has been about A/C and now the question is about the quote, I never asked about advice on a heat pump.

This part of the discussion is done.

Quote seems high to me.

My current home came with a lennox XC-20 variable speed and capacity / dual zone, and natural gas heater and it was just slightly higher installed with new zoning, high end thermostats, and new duct work for 16K total - this was installed in 2018.

Its by far the nicest and most economical system I've ever owned

Make sure you get a quote on a filter holder/box that will hold a large 4-5" thick filter.
The 1" home depot filters are ridiculously bad flowing if you want a higher Merv.

Not having a compressor based heater allows me good headroom running off the genset as we get power hits year round.

Back